Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Anyone tried love international? The line up is great this year, if I hadn't have got Glastonbury tickets idve been there. Thinking of doing it instead of Glastonbury next year. Have heard nothing but good things about it but just wondered if any of u lot have been? 

Went to obonjan a couple of summers ago so familiar enough with split/zadar etc. 

Ideally I'd like to do both it and Glasto but I'm not sure my wallet (or my mind) can stretch to it! 

Edited by GWR

OK, so it’s time for a little look back at after-dark Glastonbury 2019 as I shifted the old bones through various late-night areas.

Thursday always is a day for catching up with old mates and clocking the changes round and about. Anything on tends to be way too busy, so I generally just ignore it all and have a few beers. I did manage to catch Giant Swan in The Spike, a very energetic and enthusiastic set of industrial noise, at least it was once they’d managed to work out how to get all the leads connected in what is basically a treehouse. Bonus points for the mum of one of the boys being right down the front giving it large also. I then nipped across to Avalon Cafe to catch Banco-de-Gaia who played at my first and is usually around somewhere. It was a somewhat measly crowd at the start, but we’d swelled in numbers by end with folks of a certain age trying to imagine it was ’95 and that people were swinging from the tent poles like the good old days.

Friday began with a bit more reminiscing. Hidden away in the market areas, possibly on the site of the awful old Radio 1 Essential Mix stage, is Babylon Uprising, a little tent generally ignored by the passers-by. An hour of old-school jungle to an audience of around 30 from Mark Archer meant I knew most of the tunes. From there it was over to Pangea for CC & JJ. Now, first night and all that, but it was, erm, okay. Looked good from a distance. Looked good from underneath when it was snowing. Sound was good but not great. Atmosphere was fine but not great. It was busy but not rammed, with again the tourists on the edge and the more serious in the middle. I was looking forward to C de W but by now had been found by the most spangled of one my flock of spangled sheep. This meant I had to go into full-on shepherd mode and not give it my full attention. It was also not helped by the bellends group near me who were all wearing Charlotte masks and insisted on trying to get her attention, for what seemed like the entire set. General grumpiness and probably a bit of heat exhaustion from the day meant I knocked it on the head after that.

Saturday was time for serious business starting with Chemicals front and centre and then into the SEC. Bicep first up in The Gas Tower which was rammed to begin with, but it was a bit under-whelming at the start so that thinned the numbers to acceptable levels and the last half an hour rocked a bit better. Then it was is generally considered to be the set of the weekend with Haai at Genosys. Others will pick out tunes and describe it better than me, but safe to say that 2 hours whizzed by and Teneil herself seemed to be loving it, which always is a plus for me – she needs to cut down on the fags though! Genosys itself has also benefitted from its re-location and has a lovely enclosed feeling to go with its top-notch sounds. From there it was a bit of a queue into The Temple, but it moved faster than I’d expected, so I was unfortunate enough to catch the end of Patrick Topping which seemed to be just about himself. Monika Kruse played in the sunrise with a sublime set of proper, clean Germanic techno. And, after apparently being in his orbit on more that one occasion, I finally caught up with Benny, who was still bouncing better than all of us at 5:30.

Sunday already and joyed by Janelle, I raced back to the spiritual home of Genosys for Josh Wink along with Benny who had finally found a couple more off here to bounce along with (@GWR & @Binfish (top t-shirt work, BF)) amongst others, no doubt. From there it was the onslaught that was Karenn at Iicon. (Ooft, but I do like the occasional bit of light in amongst the dark!) It’s a helluva sound-system and stage, but possibly a bit too big (?) and it started to feel a bit cold and windswept in the wee-small hours, but that may have just been me! Passed through Felix on Genosys but was drawn to finishing at Slipmatt and Mark Archer in the Gas Tower – tunes I knew again! And lots of smiling faces.

And then what do you know, it’s over for another year.

Overall, another great showing from those putting on the night-time entertainment and the line-ups themselves just get better. We can all bemoan the loss of Lost Vagueness or the tunnels and its edginess, but shear weight of numbers put paid to that. Light and sound are mostly all top-notch and roll on next year (hopefully).  

Cheers and thanks for the indulgence. 

Edited by Fishman
A bit more punctuation
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fishman said:

OK, so it’s time for a little look back at after-dark Glastonbury 2019 as I shifted the old bones through various late-night areas.

Thursday always is a day for catching up with old mates and clocking the changes round and about. Anything on tends to be way too busy, so I generally just ignore it all and have a few beers. I did manage to catch Giant Swan in The Spike, a very energetic and enthusiastic set of industrial noise, at least it was once they’d managed to work out how to get all the leads connected in what is basically a treehouse. Bonus points for the mum of one of the boys being right down the front giving it large also. I then nipped across to Avalon Cafe to catch Banco-de-Gaia who played at my first and is usually around somewhere. It was a somewhat measly crowd at the start, but we’d swelled in numbers by end with folks of a certain age trying to imagine it was ’95 and that people were swinging from the tent poles like the good old days.

Friday began with a bit more reminiscing. Hidden away in the market areas, possibly on the site of the awful old Radio 1 Essential Mix stage, is Babylon Uprising, a little tent generally ignored by the passers-by. An hour of old-school jungle to an audience of around 30 from Mark Archer meant I knew most of the tunes. From there it was over to Pangea for CC & JJ. Now, first night and all that, but it was, erm, okay. Looked good from a distance. Looked good from underneath when it was snowing. Sound was good but not great. Atmosphere was fine but not great. It was busy but not rammed, with again the tourists on the edge and the more serious in the middle. I was looking forward to C de W but by now had been found by the most spangled of one my flock of spangled sheep. This meant I had to go into full-on shepherd mode and not give it my full attention. It was also not helped by the bellends group near me who were all wearing Charlotte masks and insisted on trying to get her attention, for what seemed like the entire set. General grumpiness and probably a bit of heat exhaustion from the day meant I knocked it on the head after that.

Saturday was time for serious business starting with Chemicals front and centre and then into the SEC. Bicep first up in The Gas Tower which was rammed to begin with, but it was a bit under-whelming at the start so that thinned the numbers to acceptable levels and the last half an hour rocked a bit better. Then it was is generally considered to be the set of the weekend with Haai at Genosys. Others will pick out tunes and describe it better than me, but safe to say that 2 hours whizzed by and Teneil herself seemed to be loving it, which always is a plus for me – she needs to cut down on the fags though! Genosys itself has also benefitted from its re-location and has a lovely enclosed feeling to go with its top-notch sounds. From there it was a bit of a queue into The Temple, but it moved faster than I’d expected, so I was unfortunate enough to catch the end of Patrick Topping which seemed to be just about himself. Monika Kruse played in the sunrise with a sublime set of proper, clean Germanic techno. And, after apparently being in his orbit on more that one occasion, I finally caught up with Benny, who was still bouncing better than all of us at 5:30.

Sunday already and joyed by Janelle, I raced back to the spiritual home of Genosys for Josh Wink along with Benny who had finally found a couple more off here to bounce along with (@GWR & @Binfish (top t-shirt work, BF)) amongst others, no doubt. From there it was the onslaught that was Karenn at Iicon. (Ooft, but I do like the occasional bit of light in amongst the dark!) It’s a helluva sound-system and stage, but possibly a bit too big (?) and it started to feel a bit cold and windswept in the wee-small hours, but that may have just been me! Passed through Felix on Genosys but was drawn to finishing at Slipmatt and Mark Archer in the Gas Tower – tunes I knew again! And lots of smiling faces.

And then what do you know, it’s over for another year.

Overall, another great showing from those putting on the night-time entertainment and the line-ups themselves just get better. We can all bemoan the loss of Lost Vagueness or the tunnels and its edginess, but shear weight of numbers put paid to that. Light and sound are mostly all top-notch and roll on next year (hopefully).  

Cheers and thanks for the indulgence. 

Was great to put a face to the profile! If josh wink hadn't have been so good idve chatted alot more, but there was too much listening/dancing to be done! 

Alot of ur weekend looks like mine so I'm sure our paths will cross again at the festival some time! 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

I'll let you know if I find out the School rota before time. You'll get a lot of the same vibe from the Is Burning night though.

I've got panels/exchanges with Palmsy, Leroy Burgess, Deena Abdelwahed, Nous'klaer Audio (upsammy's label, such a good little outlet) and a few others TBC on Thursday – then the first weekend I've ever got to enjoy without loads of commitments.

Deep breath, but day by day I've got marked down as favourites: Cybotron, Pharaoh Sanders // Yves Tumor, Jah Wobble & Bill Laswell and Sunn O))) // Andrew Weatherall, upsammy, Elena Colombi, Mulutu Astatke, Ben UFO & Blawan, Adam X and Donato Dozzy // DJ Spinna, Mala, Octo & Eris, Danny Krivit, Umwelt and Skee Mask vs Zenker Brothers // Stellar OM Source, Alexander Robotnick, Jex Opolis, Planetary Assault Systems, Galaxian, The Exaltics and that ? – plus Palmsy.

Honestly though I could be plonked down anywhere on the site and be happy, more or less.

I’ll be at a good few of those myself. What I love most about Dekmantel is it’s a far more headsy affair than my tastes know of so I always learn of new stuff in the lead up/aftermath. It’s probably the easiest festival I’ve ever been to as well. Everything so organised.

42 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I’ll be at a good few of those myself. What I love most about Dekmantel is it’s a far more headsy affair than my tastes know of so I always learn of new stuff in the lead up/aftermath. It’s probably the easiest festival I’ve ever been to as well. Everything so organised.

Its definitely the best ran festival I've ever been to. Didn't wait in a queue for anything last year 

It’s class. Sound is banging on every stage, site is small, every stage has character, the location in that park is genuinely beautiful. 

Only - points are they don’t know how to pour a pint, I’ll never forget the heads on some of those drinks and security can be a bit trigger happy so you’ve gotta nip toilets until it gets dark. That said it’s so well organised there’s hardly ever a queue so it’s no big deal. Oh and wasps nearly swallowed one once haha.

What a place can’t wait. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

It’s class. Sound is banging on every stage, site is small, every stage has character, the location in that park is genuinely beautiful. 

Only - points are they don’t know how to pour a pint, I’ll never forget the heads on some of those drinks and security can be a bit trigger happy so you’ve gotta nip toilets until it gets dark. That said it’s so well organised there’s hardly ever a queue so it’s no big deal. Oh and wasps nearly swallowed one once haha.

What a place can’t wait. 

Oh you, getting me all excited for my first one.

3 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

What a place can’t wait. 

3 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Lol yes. Take the European trope to a point of parody!

Well, maybe see you both there then. I've got a fresh gust of excitement just thinking about it today. Ace.

But you gotta love that the bars have Club Mate

Greetings my fellow best-thread-on-the-forum posters. Hope you are all well and recovering. I had to dive straight into work and life post-festival and have been slowly processing everything that occurred in my version of Glastonbury. What a wonderful one. Love it so much. I didn't get out to the late night stuff as much as I would have liked. My son and I both got heatstroke/exhaustion moving our stuff in and pitching on the Wednesday and then the heat and crowds were frying his brain and we were up early and in the shade of Green Kids most mornings. Saturday was my day of days, loads of great bands and chilled day time into Foals, Sharon (THE MIGHTY) Van Etten, Chemical Brothers (perfect spot in the field) which our whole crew came together for and then I walked my husband and son back to our tent (husband's first Glasto and he was pissed and has no sense of direction and my son was tired and wanted to get home). Then, I planned to possibly meet friends but I walked past the Beat Hotel (which is usually exactly what I do) but the music drew me nearer and nearer. I stood on the hill, then I moved down the hill, then I was itching to get in there and the crowd seemed really decent and then I looked at the line-up sign and realised, of course, it's Jopkins fecking DJ set. I'd missed him at West Holts the night before and I'm a huge fan. It was destiny. Had a brilliant time dancing there, then wandered off to maybe head to SE Corner but was drawn to Dave Seaman at Glade Lounge - excellent work and great crowd. I so wanted to get to Monika, but, as I'd been waking at 5am every morning and not getting back to sleep, my bed was calling. I LOVE the fact that I can go out raving on my own at Glastonbury. So many women walking alone across the site in the small hours. It's heaven to be able to do that.

Now, onwards (while thinking about past and future Glastonbury on a daily basis, of course). Is anyone going to either of the Aphex nights in London or Manchester in September (I'm at the Manchester one)? There is also an incredible line-up for the Homobloc Festival - one for all you NYC Downlow fans, which is happening in Manchester in November - the 9th. And Sama' has created a quality essential mix, techno but a journey to the core of it, rather than a banging it out from the off. Links below:

https://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Manchester/Depot-(Mayfield)/WHP19---Aphex-Twin-Curates/13572590/

https://www.homobloc.co.uk/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006d63

• Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:05 PM, GWR said:

Anyone tried love international? The line up is great this year, if I hadn't have got Glastonbury tickets idve been there. Thinking of doing it instead of Glastonbury next year. Have heard nothing but good things about it but just wondered if any of u lot have been?  

I've not been but been interested to hear reviews also. Been very tempted by the line ups but never had a chance to go due to other commitments and then was too close after glasto 17 finish to get all that time off.

I would defo consider this an option for next year if there is no luck with T Day :)

1 hour ago, Walker2295 said:

Anyone a fan of the Queer Party/NYC Downlow vibe should check out the below, looks like a great line up.

Unsure if was right place to post, but thought I would stick it in here..

11-07-2019 10-18-27.jpg

2 hours ago, ravermum said:

here is also an incredible line-up for the Homobloc Festival - one for all you NYC Downlow fans, which is happening in Manchester in November - the 9th. And Sama' has created a quality essential mix, techno but a journey to the core of it, rather than a banging it out from the off. Links below:

https://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Manchester/Depot-(Mayfield)/WHP19---Aphex-Twin-Curates/13572590/

https://www.homobloc.co.uk/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006d63

I'm considering this, seen it yday. Haven't been to Manchester in a few years. Last time was the whp when it was under picadilly. Most of my mainland raving is done in London now as have alot of friends there. What's this venue like? 

8 minutes ago, GWR said:

I'm considering this, seen it yday. Haven't been to Manchester in a few years. Last time was the whp when it was under picadilly. Most of my mainland raving is done in London now as have alot of friends there. What's this venue like? 

You see it on the left hand side when you get off trains at the upper part of Piccadilly, its absolutely enormous. 

Whp tried to move their a few years ago, and stuck at it until doing it this year, so they must think it's good 

Edited by Mezhyp1

41 minutes ago, GWR said:

I haven't actually been to anything at Mayfield Depot yet - it's the old railway depot building as you look out from the far platforms of Piccadilly station. I think it's pretty much an old warehouse type thing, lots of pillars, but with some light and some outside space. It must be fairly big as Homobloc is billed as 10,000 capacity. One of the other Manchester lot may know it - if not, I can report back in late September, after the Aphex Twin night. I used to look at it from the station platform and imagine putting on a rave there, so very interested to see how that actually plays out in reality. They're after redeveloping it, here's a link to a current photo of the main space.

50 minutes ago, GWR said:

I saw Four Tet (Live) there a few years ago, it’s absolutely enormous. Potentially too big for the show that I attended as it wasn’t full, I don’t know if they’re able to split it up and turn it in to separate rooms, I assume they’d need separate areas for a lineup that size. It looks good though from the inside. There are huge pillars that run throughout it that give it that industrial feel, it looks the business. Hoping to get down there at some point during there next run of events. 

• Like 1