Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

I was also at the HAAI Genosys set - the last proper dance I had at the festival as Sunday was a family day.

It was everything I want in a set - got me moving good and proper! A friend wasn’t as impressed but can’t please everyone. Wife and I left as the rest of the group went to the Temple for “a terrible Patrick’s stopping set, worst of the whole weekend” which was followed, they said by the excellent Kruse set which I recommend through this thread...many thanks!

Anyone venture for the Patrick Topping Donk/bounce set in Spaceport...good fun was had by our group there

14 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

I’ve seen her at Wow daytime and it was good as well, nothing as heavy as Genosys, just perfect for sunny day. Then Genosys happened and I couldn’t pick my jaw off the ground. It was something I’ll remember forever and wish I could relive it all over again!

If only, we could ...

The next day I checked my phone I reached 60k steps and jumped the equivalent of 2 floors. I kind of wish I could drop into her DMs to get the tracklist

6 minutes ago, Schinfler said:

If only, we could ...

The next day I checked my phone I reached 60k steps and jumped the equivalent of 2 floors. I kind of wish I could drop into her DMs to get the tracklist

Go for it, she’s the most approachable person I’ve ever met. She’s always replying, even told me couple of unreleased tracks in the past. She clearly loves what she does and enjoys it as much as we do, that’s probably half the reason she got so big lately.

ps. If you do, don’t forget to share it with us ✌️?

Edited by Jay89

2 hours ago, Tuna said:

Ok so now I'm back at work I can keep not doing work. Something to tide you over until Ben finds his way back to us, maybe. Been a fair few years since I've kept my ear to the ground so have no clue what tunes anyone plays now, which maybe makes it more fun.

Thursday.

Hide contents

The first thing we attempted was SASS in Stonebridge. Watched the Baggy Mondays crowd from the Crow's Nest and hoped it would reduce in size enough -- it did shrink a bit, but nothing like enough. I posted the following thing about Stonebridge in the 'flops' thread, imagine most people here would agree:

Anyhow. We had a choice between Avalon and Randomer -- we chose the former, since it was our whole group, something a bit less divisive. Since we had no chance of Stonebridge we decided to head over to Silver Hayes, show some of the newbies around, have a boogie. No chance. Gridlock. Sacked it off, left 'em there, went a bit 180 and joined in with the Frightened Rabbit singalong in the Stone Circle (lovely so it was), then made our way back down to the Beat Hotel. Caught an hour or so of Perfect Lovers, was a bit of an interesting vibe, was playing some pretty decent tunes, went a bit electro at one point which was grand.

Then Avalon came out, we had a nice spot near the front, and the energy in the room skyrocketed. Proper fun set, love it when a DJ is beaming from ear to ear, when they just love what they do. Flew by. Job Jobse carried it on. The man just plays whatever he wants, love it. So when he dropped Sweet Dreams, it went off, as expected. Within his last few tunes were Faithless - Insomnia and Let Me Be Your Fantasy as the closer. Proper sloppy, sweaty, hugging your mates and belting out the closing track. Beat Hotel to a tee. Didn't go back all weekend - we were so so happy for that to be our final memory of the place.

Friday.

Reveal hidden contents

After Jon Hopkins gave us a solid, reliable end to the night - loooove that West Holts system being pushed to its limits - we sailed into the SEC. Didn't queue once all weekend to get in actually -- usually we'd regroup at the tents after headliners and head out, but our group was way too big this time so just decided to meet down there. This was when we were met with IICON for the first time. HOLY SHIT. I'd managed to not spoil it (apart from my partner saying something about an ear, but I thought she was just talking gobbledigook). 

Demdike Stare were on, breakbeats everywhere, a half empty field, lasers flying. Did a cartwheel when I saw it I was so happy (see: spangled). Whole group were into it, never hear this sort of stuff on the nights we go to, was a bit bonkers, it was loud, heaps of fun. Took the newbies on a little tour of the SEC so everyone could get their bearings a bit, obviously via The Common first so the last stop was Genosys. Smart. Walked by IDLES doing the conga on Truth, then stopped off for the last 15 minutes of Sicaria Sound in the Gas Tower -- my old housemates -- awesome to see them on that stage. So many gun fingers, my god. 

Ended up back at Genosys for a while to see Hannah Holland, none of us had heard of her before but she was playing some nice, danceable techno, again block9 just know exactly who to put on when it seems. Got us back in the right mind after a few of our group got a bit weirded out by the babies in the Unfairground :D then Zenker Brothers saw out the night. Don't remember much of the tunes cause I was just staring at the fucking massive head.

Saturday.

Reveal hidden contents

As mentioned above, couldn't get into Four Tet, or Joe b2b Saoirse. Didn't bother with anything til post headliners - again, insultingly easy to fly in from Wu Tang, straight to Anthony Parasole, playing some lovely, fluid danceable techno. Imagine Ben was loving life if he was there. Cut that short though, as we had to get in prime position for Larry Heard. I can't believe that was on for 90 minutes, it absolutely sailed past. As someone mentioned previously, it maybe wasn't the best 1am music, more suited to late night, but man, what a privilege. Thought it was absolutely beautiful, sonically mesmerising. My mate kept turning to me and going "it's so smooth!" and I struggle to think of a better way to describe it. 

Stayed on for the Hessle boys, sounds like we missed out on something special at HAAi but we had a blast so no complaints. Played their trademark range of stuff, was semi-expecting something a bit different, ya know, a garage, bass, dubstep, something! - heavy set - but always happy to hear some squelches. Had a quick peek to see if the Downlow queue had gone anywhere to try and catch some of Tony Humphries, but obviously not. Stopped by the Temple to see Monika Kruse but only stayed for a little while, mostly to check the venue out actually. Anyway it was nice to hear something a little bit more minimal and effortless before bedtime. State of that, fucking hell.

Sunday.

Reveal hidden contents

Josh Wink to start. Thought it was annoyingly stop start. So many tunes were just used as a bridge, 45 seconds or so, absolutely no time to get into it. Was nice to hear some of those tunes coming out of Genosys anyway, the 20 minutes in and around Higher State of Consciousness was briliant. 

Obviously, Karenn. Relentless. Fucking hell, lads. Spine crunching bass for 90 minutes, not letting up, in fact going harder towards the end. Definitely not getting passers by with that shit, but god damn, was it fun. Kept a pretty massive crowd too, which I was pleasantly surprised by! Regrettably couldn't convince the crew to stick around for Freakenstein - in fact half of them dipped during Karenn - so ended up being a bit of a wild goose chase trying to reassemble. Meeting point ended up being the Gas Tower just as Altern8 and Slipmatt were coming on which killed my vibe sufficiently that I called it a day. I'll still consider Karenn my closer.

Overall thoughts:

• They did an incredible job spreading people out this year, nowhere felt too busy
  • Thursday needs more stuff open - it's just too popular now
  • Stonebridge Bar needs addressing - feels very unsafe
  • NYC downlow queueing system needs a rehaul
  • RIP beat hotel gone but never forgotten x

Ditto with the beat Hotel, was right up the front Thursday, insomnia was just a bit too cheesey for me so left at that point but his set was amazing. Think I also met u along with Ben at josh wink but couldn't quite hear the name right was def something fish... Couldve been tuna lol? 

3 minutes ago, GWR said:

Ditto with the beat Hotel, was right up the front Thursday, insomnia was just a bit too cheesey for me so left at that point but his set was amazing. Think I also met u along with Ben at josh wink but couldn't quite hear the name right was def something fish... Couldve been tuna lol? 

See the Beat Hotel always had a bit of cheese to it, but I love that, and Job clearly loves pulling that sort of shit. Worked great for me. Also your fishy friend - not me I'm afraid!

1 hour ago, Skoo said:

Anyone catch Bicep at Pangea on Friday? Thought it was bloody epic, then Carl and Jamie, although didn't feel like that set landed quite as well.

Missed bicep, but was there for Cox and Jones, was a bit flat yeah, not sure what was missing, I was in a bit of a mess tho and tbh after Jon hopkins anything was gonna be a disappointment, that was one of the best things I've ever witnessed. 

3 minutes ago, GWR said:

Missed bicep, but was there for Cox and Jones, was a bit flat yeah, not sure what was missing, I was in a bit of a mess tho and tbh after Jon hopkins anything was gonna be a disappointment, that was one of the best things I've ever witnessed. 

Jon hopkins blew my socks off. UNREAL

2 hours ago, Skoo said:

Anyone catch Bicep at Pangea on Friday? Thought it was bloody epic, then Carl and Jamie, although didn't feel like that set landed quite as well.

Caught the last song (Opal) of it, was surprised at how it wasn't too crowded. Agree with JJ and CC, although Charlotte de Witte very much delivered for me afterwards, was worth the wait 

2 hours ago, GWR said:

That must’ve been @Fishman I think? Couldn’t have been me anyway as I was singing along to Elvana at the time (no regrets) but I saw him around at Monika on Saturday and Karenn later on Sunday - top bloke with great taste!

3 hours ago, Upside down frowner said:

I was also at the HAAI Genosys set - the last proper dance I had at the festival as Sunday was a family day.

It was everything I want in a set - got me moving good and proper! A friend wasn’t as impressed but can’t please everyone. Wife and I left as the rest of the group went to the Temple for “a terrible Patrick’s stopping set, worst of the whole weekend” which was followed, they said by the excellent Kruse set which I recommend through this thread...many thanks!

Anyone venture for the Patrick Topping Donk/bounce set in Spaceport...good fun was had by our group there

I was at that. I wont lie... I really enjoyed it

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Skoo said:

Agreed. Bicep were ace. The last 25 mins of CC & JJ was good. Before that, it never really took off.

Charlotte was mega though.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

4 hours ago, rubick said:

Hello fellow ravenauts. That was a bit special, eh?

If anyone has a tracklisting for Squarepusher's set in The Glade on Monday AM I'd be forever grateful. Had stones in my boots and didn't give a fuck. Dirty breakbeat hardcore ftw! Was thinking we'd miss him but there was either a scheduling switch or he payed a longer set than billed, was so glad I caught his set.

Hope everyone had a brilliant few days x

He was late! I asked the dudes in the sound tent as I was waiting for him, he was quality!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skoo said:

Went to see Stormzy instead and regretted it tbh. I understand the cultural significance of the set, but that genre of music isn’t for me. He proper went for it though, so fair play to him. 

But yeah, kept glancing over and could see the light from the flames at Pangea and felt like I was missing out. I’ve seen bicep so many times but they always smash it in my eyes. 

Headed later in the night and thought Carl Cox and Jamie Jones were pretty boring - really repetitive monotonous tunes in my opinion.  

19 hours ago, GWR said:

16 hours ago, Bin Fish said:

That must’ve been @Fishman I think? Couldn’t have been me anyway as I was singing along to Elvana at the time (no regrets) but I saw him around at Monika on Saturday and Karenn later on Sunday - top bloke with great taste!

Yep - was me at Josh Wink. The old man in the straw hat. My lot had insisted I wear it all all times as they could never find me. Thanks. 

Benny definitely mentioned Tuna for some reason and that's all I could hear about you, it's that you weren't him. Or something. Things get hazy on Sunday. Clocked you (GWR) last knockings at The Gas Tower also, but was a bit too 'tired and emotional' to come and say hello. Especially as all I remembered was that you were not Tuna!

Full report at some point gang.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Madyaker said:

He was late! I asked the dudes in the sound tent as I was waiting for him, he was quality!

That was serendipitous for our schedule then! Cracking way to round of the festival. Was too knackered to head round to the Stonebridge for DJ Storm, which I am of course regretting - from now on we've agreed to stick about in England on the Monday evening so we can get the full pelt of the Monday morning schedule!

Had an excellent time once again this year! hAAi on genosys was my set of the weekend.

Lovely to meet @bennyhana22 at Tristan and again with a few others on Saturday.

Like a lot of others I was really blown away by IICON, it really is fantastic. I quite liked the fact it was never rammed, there was always great atmosphere at the front but loads of space further back if someone in the group need to sit down.