Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

what a week...

best set of the weekend for me was surprisingly Freakenstein closing IICON on the sunday - some really good real high energy dirty electro was just the ticket after a weekend full of techno and the vibe was great as well at that time on a sunday i always find it’s the best people who are still on the dance floor

Midland also played a sublime set in the beat hotel late afternoon on the saturday i think? lots of space down by the speakers and the sound was perfect and punchy

My other highlights were Batu and Bruce who were great even with a very early set time they made it work. Laurel Halo and Kode 9 were fantastic. Managed to get in the downlow on early Saturday and it really is very special in there a lot of fun - didn’t really want to leave but had other commitments and people to see.

Only slight niggle throughout the whole weekend is there needs to be more options for night life outside of SE corner - it was just way too packed thursday, friday and saturday because everyone just flocks there. 

Hi E/D lovelies

As with all years, I have this 'thing' whereby I just don't feel I can be on the forum lots in the immediate aftermath. I've never understood why. Maybe it's part of my subconscious sadness and denial that the festival is over! Anyway, I always need a few days to assimilate what happened to me. Suffice to say that I had the most unbelievable time and it was my favourite Glastonbury. I danced until 0300, 0530, 0600 and 0300 (I had a 4am coach home!) Thurs-Sun. I saw 48 bands and DJs. I had five and half hours sleep from Friday to Monday morning. I am a bit (blissfully) broken.

For now, all I can offer is my top 5:

1. HAAi (Genosys, 0200-0400h, Sat) - flawless set. Indescribable. One of the best sets I have ever seen

2. Karenn (0130-0300h, Sun) - blistering. Very hard without losing its soul. Boys were on fire and that double bpm increase in the last 15 minutes was mental.

3. Josh Wink (2300-0100h, Sun) - cliche-free, perfectly flowing techno from a master. Absolutely perfect.

4. Tristan (0130-0255h, Thu) - I promised myself Thursday Trance NightTM and he scratched that itch

5. Monika Kruse (0430-0600h, Sat) - phenomenal atmosphere in a Temple packed right to the death. She's lovely.

Back when I can face it!

Ben
xx

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hi E/D lovelies

As with all years, I have this 'thing' whereby I just don't feel I can be on the forum lots in the immediate aftermath. I've never understood why. Maybe it's part of my subconscious sadness and denial that the festival is over! Anyway, I always need a few days to assimilate what happened to me. Suffice to say that I had the most unbelievable time and it was my favourite Glastonbury. I danced until 0300, 0530, 0600 and 0300 (I had a 4am coach home!) Thurs-Sun. I saw 48 bands and DJs. I had five and half hours sleep from Friday to Monday morning. I am a bit (blissfully) broken.

For now, all I can offer is my top 5:

1. HAAi (Genosys, 0200-0400h, Sat) - flawless set. Indescribable. One of the best sets I have ever seen

2. Karenn (0130-0300h, Sun) - blistering. Very hard without losing its soul. Boys were on fire and that double bpm increase in the last 15 minutes was mental.

3. Josh Wink (2300-0100h, Sun) - cliche-free, perfectly flowing techno from a master. Absolutely perfect.

4. Tristan (0130-0255h, Thu) - I promised myself Thursday Trance NightTM and he scratched that itch

5. Monika Kruse (0430-0600h, Sat) - phenomenal atmosphere in a Temple packed right to the death. She's lovely.

Back when I can face it!

Ben
xx

Had a scan about the crowd for you at the start of HAAi as I was myself for much of it, but with no avail. 

What a set, one that will live long in my memory 

Sunday night at the Downlow was absolutely mental. I and left The Cure early and was prepared to queue for a while , but still couldn't believe it when i arrived and was told it was a 3 hour wait. 

In the past I've had no issues seeing a headliner and then running over to Block 9 to get into the club. Are those days over??

Still, favourite Glastonbury for me. Great spread of nightlife and saw some great acts. Saw a couple of people from here (I think) but as a newbie was too nervous to say hello. 

Hopefully see some of you in 2020 and thanks for making this the best thread on E-Fests.

Sunday night I headed to se corner early and missed the main headliners, Downlow cue was huge even then so went to josh wink, met @bennyhana22 there, had a great time. Then caught the last hour or so of karenn, thought that was great too. Had planned to finish off in the temple but the cue was massive so went to dusky, then finished off the festival with alternate b2b with slipmatt in the gas tower, which was unexpectedly really brilliant! Last 2 tunes were born slippy and out of space, which was a pretty perfect end to the festival

1 hour ago, Night Owl said:

Sunday night at the Downlow was absolutely mental. I and left The Cure early and was prepared to queue for a while , but still couldn't believe it when i arrived and was told it was a 3 hour wait. 

In the past I've had no issues seeing a headliner and then running over to Block 9 to get into the club. Are those days over??

Still, favourite Glastonbury for me. Great spread of nightlife and saw some great acts. Saw a couple of people from here (I think) but as a newbie was too nervous to say hello. 

Hopefully see some of you in 2020 and thanks for making this the best thread on E-Fests.

I cant fathom wasting 3 hours of precious Glastonbury time standing in a queue. mental! 

Ok so now I'm back at work I can keep not doing work. Something to tide you over until Ben finds his way back to us, maybe. Been a fair few years since I've kept my ear to the ground so have no clue what tunes anyone plays now, which maybe makes it more fun.

Thursday.

The first thing we attempted was SASS in Stonebridge. Watched the Baggy Mondays crowd from the Crow's Nest and hoped it would reduce in size enough -- it did shrink a bit, but nothing like enough. I posted the following thing about Stonebridge in the 'flops' thread, imagine most people here would agree:

As a venue - Stonebridge Bar. Needs a serious rework, always looks so spacious inside but there is a massive swell outside. Would be much safer if they removed the fences and let it just be a tent, like e.g. the Beat Hotel, or... most places. The queueing system just does not work, it is a mad crowd outside, and people just ram in down the sides. SASS after Baggy Mondays was a total write off, as was Four Tet early doors (though he is a far bigger name now than when there was maybe 100 of us in that slot in 2015(?))

Anyhow. We had a choice between Avalon and Randomer -- we chose the former, since it was our whole group, something a bit less divisive. Since we had no chance of Stonebridge we decided to head over to Silver Hayes, show some of the newbies around, have a boogie. No chance. Gridlock. Sacked it off, left 'em there, went a bit 180 and joined in with the Frightened Rabbit singalong in the Stone Circle (lovely so it was), then made our way back down to the Beat Hotel. Caught an hour or so of Perfect Lovers, was a bit of an interesting vibe, was playing some pretty decent tunes, went a bit electro at one point which was grand.

Then Avalon came out, we had a nice spot near the front, and the energy in the room skyrocketed. Proper fun set, love it when a DJ is beaming from ear to ear, when they just love what they do. Flew by. Job Jobse carried it on. The man just plays whatever he wants, love it. So when he dropped Sweet Dreams, it went off, as expected. Within his last few tunes were Faithless - Insomnia and Let Me Be Your Fantasy as the closer. Proper sloppy, sweaty, hugging your mates and belting out the closing track. Beat Hotel to a tee. Didn't go back all weekend - we were so so happy for that to be our final memory of the place.

Friday.

After Jon Hopkins gave us a solid, reliable end to the night - loooove that West Holts system being pushed to its limits - we sailed into the SEC. Didn't queue once all weekend to get in actually -- usually we'd regroup at the tents after headliners and head out, but our group was way too big this time so just decided to meet down there. This was when we were met with IICON for the first time. HOLY SHIT. I'd managed to not spoil it (apart from my partner saying something about an ear, but I thought she was just talking gobbledigook). 

Demdike Stare were on, breakbeats everywhere, a half empty field, lasers flying. Did a cartwheel when I saw it I was so happy (see: spangled). Whole group were into it, never hear this sort of stuff on the nights we go to, was a bit bonkers, it was loud, heaps of fun. Took the newbies on a little tour of the SEC so everyone could get their bearings a bit, obviously via The Common first so the last stop was Genosys. Smart. Walked by IDLES doing the conga on Truth, then stopped off for the last 15 minutes of Sicaria Sound in the Gas Tower -- my old housemates -- awesome to see them on that stage. So many gun fingers, my god. 

Ended up back at Genosys for a while to see Hannah Holland, none of us had heard of her before but she was playing some nice, danceable techno, again block9 just know exactly who to put on when it seems. Got us back in the right mind after a few of our group got a bit weirded out by the babies in the Unfairground :D then Zenker Brothers saw out the night. Don't remember much of the tunes cause I was just staring at the fucking massive head.

Saturday.

As mentioned above, couldn't get into Four Tet, or Joe b2b Saoirse. Didn't bother with anything til post headliners - again, insultingly easy to fly in from Wu Tang, straight to Anthony Parasole, playing some lovely, fluid danceable techno. Imagine Ben was loving life if he was there. Cut that short though, as we had to get in prime position for Larry Heard. I can't believe that was on for 90 minutes, it absolutely sailed past. As someone mentioned previously, it maybe wasn't the best 1am music, more suited to late night, but man, what a privilege. Thought it was absolutely beautiful, sonically mesmerising. My mate kept turning to me and going "it's so smooth!" and I struggle to think of a better way to describe it. 

Stayed on for the Hessle boys, sounds like we missed out on something special at HAAi but we had a blast so no complaints. Played their trademark range of stuff, was semi-expecting something a bit different, ya know, a garage, bass, dubstep, something! - heavy set - but always happy to hear some squelches. Had a quick peek to see if the Downlow queue had gone anywhere to try and catch some of Tony Humphries, but obviously not. Stopped by the Temple to see Monika Kruse but only stayed for a little while, mostly to check the venue out actually. Anyway it was nice to hear something a little bit more minimal and effortless before bedtime. State of that, fucking hell.

Sunday.

Josh Wink to start. Thought it was annoyingly stop start. So many tunes were just used as a bridge, 45 seconds or so, absolutely no time to get into it. Was nice to hear some of those tunes coming out of Genosys anyway, the 20 minutes in and around Higher State of Consciousness was briliant. 

Obviously, Karenn. Relentless. Fucking hell, lads. Spine crunching bass for 90 minutes, not letting up, in fact going harder towards the end. Definitely not getting passers by with that shit, but god damn, was it fun. Kept a pretty massive crowd too, which I was pleasantly surprised by! Regrettably couldn't convince the crew to stick around for Freakenstein - in fact half of them dipped during Karenn - so ended up being a bit of a wild goose chase trying to reassemble. Meeting point ended up being the Gas Tower just as Altern8 and Slipmatt were coming on which killed my vibe sufficiently that I called it a day. I'll still consider Karenn my closer.

Overall thoughts:

• They did an incredible job spreading people out this year, nowhere felt too busy
  • Thursday needs more stuff open - it's just too popular now
  • Stonebridge Bar needs addressing - feels very unsafe
  • NYC downlow queueing system needs a rehaul
  • RIP beat hotel gone but never forgotten x

I am right now very obsessed with this HAAi set! I don't know why it was so special but it was. My Friends went to her B2B with Dani Avery at BH and they were not that impressed , so it was probably the combo of a perfect place, crowd and setlist.

10 minutes ago, Schinfler said:

I am right now very obsessed with this HAAi set! I don't know why it was so special but it was. My Friends went to her B2B with Dani Avery at BH and they were not that impressed , so it was probably the combo of a perfect place, crowd and setlist.

Haai at Genosys blew me away. Only ended up seeing a handful of sets all weekend but she absolutely nailed it. I’m really not particularly well educated when it comes to techno, but there was certainly more variation in that set than Karenn’s. Couple of amazing acid tracks weren't there? Would love to listen to it again, was it recorded? Her sets on sound cloud don’t sound anything like what she was belting out on Saturday evening. 

Will post more of a recap of my experience when back home in a week or so but quickly to say highlights were midland beat hotel and felix dickinson closing genosys. Would love to know of any specific songs people heard played back at the Farm. Hope all had a great festival

1 hour ago, OLAS said:

Haai at Genosys blew me away. Only ended up seeing a handful of sets all weekend but she absolutely nailed it. I’m really not particularly well educated when it comes to techno, but there was certainly more variation in that set than Karenn’s. Couple of amazing acid tracks weren't there? Would love to listen to it again, was it recorded? Her sets on sound cloud don’t sound anything like what she was belting out on Saturday evening. 

You have to remember that you’re slightly comparing apples with oranges! HAAi was mixing tracks, Karenn were playing live, improvised techno. As such the latter was always going to be less diverse and varied than the former. Also, Karenn have very much a ‘sound’ that they like to produce and so it’s a more singular vibe than a DJ set. I thought both were staggeringly good but, as said earlier in the thread, that HAAi set was off the scale. Genuinely one of the five best sets I’ve ever seen. Every track selection was superb. The sequencing of tracks was sublime, making the two hours fly by as a beautifully narrated story. And she is SOOOOO into it and that really enhances the whole shebang. I just can’t express enough how good she was and how grateful I am to her for giving me my favourite moment of Glastonbury 2019. 

Block9 often have recordings of sets online from Glastonbury. I don’t know how quickly they go up, and can’t remember the platform, but I’ve seen a website with a whole bunch of sets before from NYCD, Genosys etc. I’m sure that Dr Google will be your friend. Linky, anyone...?

Ben

• Upvote 1

Just now, Winslow Leach said:

Followed it up with Eris Drew in the Temple then at the Gas Tower for Altern 8 and Slipmatt. Sunday really was the one night where everything clicked together for me.

Perfect. 

For me it was Saturday. 

Anthony Parasole > HAAi > 15 mins of Perfect Lovers > Monika Kruse

That’s a just about perfect six hours of my life. 

Ben

2 hours ago, Schinfler said:

I’ve seen her at Wow daytime and it was good as well, nothing as heavy as Genosys, just perfect for sunny day. Then Genosys happened and I couldn’t pick my jaw off the ground. It was something I’ll remember forever and wish I could relive it all over again!

Had a great time this year, didn't get to see quite as much E/D that I wanted to due to ending up playing gigs on every day, bar saturday, and having a mate that wasn't interested in techno. The sets I did see were quality though so thanks to everyone on here for their suggestions! Even got into Maceo's and met Daniel Avery in there!

Edited by Johnnyseven

4 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

I’ve seen her at Wow daytime and it was good as well, nothing as heavy as Genosys, just perfect for sunny day. Then Genosys happened and I couldn’t pick my jaw off the ground. It was something I’ll remember forever and wish I could relive it all over again!

Just this. I’ve seen lots of her online and was in no doubt as to her skills, but she’s also a very versatile DJ who puts together excellent sets of stuff that just doesn’t especially do it for me. Then she entered the booth at my favourite dance venue on the planet. And played a set that was seemingly curated entirely personally for me. I will never forget that set. 

Ben

8 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Had a great time this year, didn't get to see quite as much E/D that I wanted to due to ending up playing gigs on every day, bar saturday, and having a mate that wasn't interested in techno. The sets I did see were quality though so thanks to everyone on here for their suggestions! Even got into Maceo's and met Daniel Avery!

That all sounds excellent and very reasonable. Except for your mate. He needs either:

1. Educating 

2. Dumping

3. Being politely told “I’ll see you in a few hours, bud” as you bugger off to dance

?

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

Hello fellow ravenauts. That was a bit special, eh?

If anyone has a tracklisting for Squarepusher's set in The Glade on Monday AM I'd be forever grateful. Had stones in my boots and didn't give a fuck. Dirty breakbeat hardcore ftw! Was thinking we'd miss him but there was either a scheduling switch or he payed a longer set than billed, was so glad I caught his set.

Hope everyone had a brilliant few days x