Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

She absolutely fits into the category of DJ’s for people that aren’t massively into dance music but there’s nothing wrong with that. I’d say Fatboy Slim does too. I’d also say they’re both incredibly proud of that.

If a young raver to be goes to see Annie Mac when they’re 16-21 and that is the catalyst for a lifetime of dance music then that’s a wonderful thing. Isn’t that the whole point anyway? They’re gateway DJ’s, it isn’t their job to play the latest underground techno or whatever. She is absolutely there on merit same as every other DJ. We all started somewhere, nobody popped out the womb a massive fan of Underground Resistance.  

exactly this mate - the first dance event/rave i went to was to see annie mac 5 years ago and although now looking back i can say the music and event wasn’t great but at the time it was the bees knees and it started my exploration and love in to house, techno, electro and all things electronic and weird

you won’t catch me at annie’s set because i’ll be seeing larry heard and the hessle audio boys instead that night but it’s a great booking for younger people who want to dip their toes in to dance music

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

I have to say that Annie Mac following the broad appeal of Fat Boy Eats Everything is very canny programming. It’ll be a super fun, popular party hour that will give the crowd already present exactly what they want. 

And it makes complete sense with regards to the attempts to spread the crowd wider across the site. Alongside the other night-time developments of the last couple of years, it should make everyone’s particular chosen areas nicer places to be. ??

Ben

Agreed. I am not sure where Ill be to be honest. My friends want to see Fatboy & Eats Everything, but after spending all my friday night at Arcadia, Id rather go somewhere else. The glade / Spaceport could come calling I think.

4 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Saying you don't like someone isn't snobbery.

I am a big Judge Jules fan (yes I know!) - he has constantly been panned for his BBC connections, but he was very influential in my Dance music education as a youngster. Annie Mac is probably the same for others and I get that, but I have seen her a few times in part and not enjoyed her sets.

Personally I just think there are better DJs who play "multi genre" stuff.  Eats Everything and 2ManyDjs are examples.

We do all like different things, but this is a discussion board - acts are there to be rated, good + bad. As long as it isn't abusive or malicious, I think we should be able to express our dislike for acts, it's part of the fun! 

Fair do’s - I just think some of the comments “only there cos she’s a woman etc” were unnecessary. Deffo nothing wrong with JJ either!!

1 hour ago, SouthbanKen said:

Fair do’s - I just think some of the comments “only there cos she’s a woman etc” were unnecessary. Deffo nothing wrong with JJ either!!

JJ does some dodgy mixes and silly stuff that I should hate, but I cant. I have seen him be that fucked he stopped the tunes, got a seat at the front of the stage & was apologising to the crowd. (I was in hysterics). But I have also seen him be unbeliavable, play some mega tunes & hit all the right notes. He's cheesy as it gets, but I love him. He's incredibly passionate about it all & that wins. 

I'd never say that Annie Mac is only there cos she's a woman. I think that being a BBC personality first, helped her get bookings. The pete tongs, eddie halliwell and judge jules of the worlds went from club to radio. Charlotte de Witte is the same now. Annie Mac went the other way.

I hope she pulls a blinder out at Arcadia and everyone loves it. 

• Upvote 1

Does anybody have any recommendations for good electronic music festivals? I'm just back from Primavera Sound where I saw some really good electronic music live and DJ sets. One of the highlights was Objekt playing his first live performance with some insane visuals and intense IDM performance. It's made me really interested in finding a really good electronic music festival (I'm yet to attend a fully electronic music festival) to attend next year which can offer good electronic music combined with interesting lights and visuals. I know of some ones such as Sonar, Dimensions, Dekmantel, Houghton and Gottwood but I'm wondering if anybody has first hand experience?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BiffyClyro95 said:

Does anybody have any recommendations for good electronic music festivals? I'm just back from Primavera Sound where I saw some really good electronic music live and DJ sets. One of the highlights was Objekt playing his first live performance with some insane visuals and intense IDM performance. It's made me really interested in finding a really good electronic music festival (I'm yet to attend a fully electronic music festival) to attend next year which can offer good electronic music combined with interesting lights and visuals. I know of some ones such as Sonar, Dimensions, Dekmantel, Houghton and Gottwood but I'm wondering if anybody has first hand experience?

Ive been to awakenings, timewarp & nature one. Only nature one do you camp at.

Not sure if I'd do nature one again, but.

It is absolutely mental. The camp site is basically another festival. People take stages and rigs and create tents in the camp site For example, someone brings this... into the campsite

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

8 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

It is absolutely mental. The camp site is basically another festival. People take stages and rigs and create tents in the camp site For example, someone brings this... into the campsite

Can vouch for Nature One! My last one was in 2007, absolute madness! Still remember Felix  Krocher’s set that’s done something to my head and I’ve never been the same since ?

3 hours ago, BiffyClyro95 said:

I've done Sonar. As a city festival you miss out on the camp banter a bit, but on the other side you can book as nice a hotel as you want. It's a good one for combination culture/festi as Barca is generally a nice place to visit.

There's an emphasis on the art, espcially during the day - which takes place around the city. I saw Four Tet playing a DJ set in one of the little squares, that what pretty sweet.

Night stuff is in an arena/conferernce centre type thing. Loses a lot of points there for me.

I did see Aphex Twin though, so that made up for it

Edited by Flying_Hellfish

10 hours ago, BiffyClyro95 said:

I haven’t been to Sonar but I’ve been to Primavea and Barcelona enough times. Sonar is on my to do list for sure but I’m not crazy on the location of both festivals myself (too fucking big in that heat) although some people just do off Sonar which looks amazing most years. I found Barcelona too hot at that time of year to be partying and proper struggled at times. I don’t think the nightclubs in Barcelona are that great either from the ones I have been. 

I’ve heard bad things about your Croatian festivals (Dimensions, Love International) to do with security and the police all seem to be after a pay day. That alone has put me off. Apart from that they do sound amazing from speaking to people that have been. I think I would personally struggle in the heat too. It’s a bit of a trek too. I just can’t be arsed with the hassle myself.

Dekmantel for me is the perfect electronic music festival. Really nice location, good weather but not unbearable, easy access to drugs (sorry but this is an important part of your festival), the stages are all great and the sound is mega, you can stay in Amsterdam centre or closer to the festival, it’s during pride weekend so a trip in city centre after is class, they have some really good nightclubs in Amsterdam (De School, Shelter) for afters. It’s easy to go Dekmantel and after the monumental effort of Glastonbury I can’t wait to just run around somewhere small without a care in the world. 

As for the U.K ones they all look really good especially Houghton and I’ve heard such great things but nar days it’s only Glastonbury I’m willing to put up with British Summertime and camping unless it’s a local thing such as Bluedot. 

In short I can’t be bothered going to a lot of the above mentioned. Dekmantel is a doddle so it’s a winner from me.

Can recommend the Off Sonar experience. It's all the same DJs playing much more intimate and sometimes better produced gigs. Highlight was the RA event in the grounds of an old monastery (El Monasterio) in 2015. Great vibes, DJs, views, crowds and plenty of shade. Friends have been to some of the bigger Croatian festivals and said they were was quite 'British' - make of that what you will. Closer to home: don't get tempted by Lost Village - had a v average experience there last year.

I went to Sonar/Off Week last year, did a combination of the off parties and Sonar. It was absolutely brilliant. 

The festival is essentially just in a large exhibition centre in a number of halls, but the set up is good and the music is tremendous. 

Some of the off week parties were brilliant. The best was Innervisions at Poble Espanyol. They took over the Monasterio and Picnic area and you can just flow everywhere. It was an absolutely brilliant day last year. My mates have all gone again this year, mostly because they were obsessed with Life and Death at Villa Habana, which is really cool tbf. Though, with Sonar not being this week and it all being a bit disjointed this year, I cut my losses and banked the money for the farm instead. 

I'd definitely recommend it though, and Barcelona is bloody brilliant 

3 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I went to Sonar/Off Week last year, did a combination of the off parties and Sonar. It was absolutely brilliant. 

The festival is essentially just in a large exhibition centre in a number of halls, but the set up is good and the music is tremendous. 

Some of the off week parties were brilliant. The best was Innervisions at Poble Espanyol. They took over the Monasterio and Picnic area and you can just flow everywhere. It was an absolutely brilliant day last year. My mates have all gone again this year, mostly because they were obsessed with Life and Death at Villa Habana, which is really cool tbf. Though, with Sonar not being this week and it all being a bit disjointed this year, I cut my losses and banked the money for the farm instead. 

I'd definitely recommend it though, and Barcelona is bloody brilliant 

That’s Innervisions party made me laugh because if you took away the Innervisions lads it was a class line up. 

8 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

That’s Innervisions party made me laugh because if you took away the Innervisions lads it was a class line up. 

The run of Perel, Avalon and Ben UFO round in the picnic area was tremendous, what a time I had. It had a bit for everyone in my group, especially with Jamie XX playing. 

I did go and watch Dixon and Ame after Ben UFO and it was really good 

15 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

That is some effort. I thought I was going big sewing a few sequins on stuff and making a campsite flag

6 minutes ago, ravermum said:

That is some effort. I thought I was going big sewing a few sequins on stuff and making a campsite flag

Thing is, there are loads of them! Was sat there and watched someone playing a Hardcore / Gabber version* of Shiela's Wheels theme once. Had to be seen / heard to be believed.

*Or they had the sample and was chopping it in

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

On 6/14/2019 at 8:59 PM, Obiginnaw said:

Seen Annie MAC at parklife before and she knows exactly what to play, I think Fatboy Slim followed by her are a perfect recipe for something a bit different, it’ll definitely be a party

Seen her before the chemical brothers at bestival an she played a boss house & techno set, so good that my mate was convinced it wasnt her. She will do just fine, that being said ill be watching Mr Fingers in the downlow.