Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

On 6/13/2019 at 11:05 AM, THX_1138 said:

Hype B2B Randall will be mad vibes!

There are 4 of us going, and 1 who really is only into very floaty liquidy... almost commercial D&B and moans about hard D&B. He mostly wants to see acts in the Beat Hotel. It's going to be interesting as he's well outnumbered haha

Big into D&B and have Randall b2b Kasra at The Temple on Friday night at about 3am marked us as one of my must sees.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

Big into D&B and have Randall b2b Kasra at The Temple on Friday night at about 3am marked us as one of my must sees.

D&B fan here also. Not into the commercial side of it though and definitely not a fan of jump up. The Planet V showcase on Sunday looks tasty and i'll be there for Hype and Randall also.

Calibre just announced as the next resident series at XOYO. Some great looking lineups there.

25 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Meh.

I am at Arcadia all Friday, which put me off going on Saturday. This has confirmed it. I am not a fan. Seen her twice and wasn't impressed.

I think she is seen as a safe booking ticks boxes

woman check

bbc check

it's only an hour slot  and she is already at the festival check

will most likely go out live on the bbc check

5 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

woman check

bbc check

Because of who is on before, they should have gone for 2many DJs. That would have worked.

Hoping Carl Cox b2b Jamie Jones is the essential mix.

1 hour ago, shuttlep said:

woman check

bbc check

In the world of dance and electronic music, we’re a long way off a DJ being a woman as a reason to see that DJ as a safe booking.

I say this as one of the few people posting regularly to this thread with the word “female” next to my profile.

Annie Mac has a huge following, especially among younger dance music fans and she has played Arcadia at least once before at the festival. 

She also has a massive following among young women and books lots of female DJs for her festival and celebrates that. We need to see each other way more than we have done. That is changing and it’s more than time.

I won’t go but there’s loads who will, maybe who wouldn’t go to Arcadia otherwise. If it gets a crowd of young women up there having a brilliant time, I’m all for it.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ravermum said:

In the world of dance and electronic music, we’re a long way off a DJ being a woman as a reason to see that DJ as a safe booking.

I say this as one of the few people posting regularly to this thread with the word “female” next to my profile.

Annie Mac has a huge following, especially among younger dance music fans and she has played Arcadia at least once before at the festival.  

She also has a massive following among young women and books lots of female DJs for her festival and celebrates that. We need to see each other way more than we have done. That is changing and it’s more than time.

I won’t go but there’s loads who will, maybe who wouldn’t go to Arcadia otherwise. If it gets a crowd of young women up there having a brilliant time, I’m all for it.

I don't think she's been booked because she's a woman, but it's great to see women of all genres at the top of the line up.

She's been booked because she's a big well known household name and has the BBC connection.  I'd guess it's more to do with that, than Arcadia actually wanting her to play.

She'll pull in the crowds but I won't be one of them.

18 minutes ago, ravermum said:

This is all correct - I hate this insinuation that she was only booked because she's a woman, she was booked because she's absolutely massive, has a huge following, she also dovetails well with the Fatboy Eats Everything set, and is on the BBC.

13 minutes ago, ravermum said:

I think sex has a lot to do with bookings, and I do like the fact that they have more woman playing. It should be an equal split. I just think she got the gig because of the BBC . she will draw the crowds. lots of people who don;t really like dance music will go and see her as they have heard of her. 

I suppose I am talking my way in to her being a good booking to get people there, I would rather have had Peggy Gou .    Would Peggy get the crowds of people who don't really like dance that Annie will get . probably not so Annie is a safer booking . by safe i mean by all the women thy could get to headline she is the one that  they know will get a good crowd. If it gets more people involved I am all for that. I may hang around as I have no where to be till half 3 , most likely I will go to the next venue and get a good spot

I get the feeling with so many people playing two or three times at this festival that they are saving money on loads of big names , they are spreading the names around. maybe saving money for next year. I don;t mind people playing more than one set it gives me a chance to see them if they clash. Or like on Saturday i get to see the Stanton warriors twice

5 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I get the feeling with so many people playing two or three times at this festival that they are saving money on loads of big names , they are spreading the names around. maybe saving money for next year. I don;t mind people playing more than one set it gives me a chance to see them if they clash. Or like on Saturday i get to see the Stanton warriors twice

It's not unusual for the repeat slots though.  I get the impression that, generally speaking, the DJ's that do this genuinely love the festival - Fatboy, Stanton Warriors, Eats Everything, Cox,  Annie Mac etc

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep big silver lining this. Should tempt a fair few people away from the SEC and make HAAI a less overcrowded prospect.

Mark Ronson on at the same time too! Gonna be a breeze.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep big silver lining this. Should tempt a fair few people away from the SEC and make HAAI a less overcrowded prospect.

That would be perfect, cause I’ll be heading to Genosys and straight to the temple after that for Monika Kruse ?

Edited by Jay89

I think Annie Mac has been booked because she will draw a crowd. How did she get popular? She was a BBC presenter wasn't she before a club DJ? I think. She has a good voice for radio even if I find her sycophantic (most radio djs are though)

Sticking BBC at the end of her name is enough for lots of promoters to be pleased.

As an aside, yesterday I spoke to someone at work who went to Parklife . 20 year old. I asked who she liked. She said "Camelphat and Annie Mac were the best"

A lot of snobbery against Annie Mac here. She worked her way up from being a runner at Radio 1 to where she is now, listen to people who know her and they will tell you she is a proper music nerd and has a great ear for a tune. She curates her own festival out in Malta now as well and loves Glastonbury. She can put a really good and diverse set together because she is not aligned to one genre and that is what I really like in a DJ and I am likely to hang around after Fatboy/EE to catch her as I’ve never actually seen her before. 

I particularly like the “people who don’t like dance music will go see her” nonsense. People who like a broad range of dance music, including, shock horror, more mainstream dance music will go see her. Now if your into deep underground techno then your unlikely to go see her, and I get that, but panning her because she doesn’t play your specific genre is a bit silly.

I’ve learnt and found loads from this thread, but i’ve also had to wade through a truckload of really dull (in my opinion) tech house (may not be the right technical description) that plods a long and goes nowhere to find the more interesting stuff. I didn’t come back and say, why are you all creaming about black Madonna, after enduring as much as I could of a really mundane set with some awful clunky mixing that was posted on here, I just thought, nah not for me and went on my way. 

We all like different things, so let’s all celebrate what we like and let others do the same. 

PEACE 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

A lot of snobbery against Annie Mac here. She worked her way up from being a runner at Radio 1 to where she is now, listen to people who know her and they will tell you she is a proper music nerd and has a great ear for a tune. She curates her own festival out in Malta now as well and loves Glastonbury. She can put a really good and diverse set together because she is not aligned to one genre and that is what I really like in a DJ and I am likely to hang around after Fatboy/EE to catch her as I’ve never actually seen her before

I particularly like the “people who don’t like dance music will go see her” nonsense. People who like a broad range of dance music, including, shock horror, more mainstream dance music will go see her. Now if your into deep underground techno then your unlikely to go see her, and I get that, but panning her because she doesn’t play your specific genre is a bit silly. 

I’ve learnt and found loads from this thread, but i’ve also had to wade through a truckload of really dull (in my opinion) tech house (may not be the right technical description) that plods a long and goes nowhere to find the more interesting stuff. I didn’t come back and say, why are you all creaming about black Madonna, after enduring as much as I could of a really mundane set with some awful clunky mixing that was posted on here, I just thought, nah not for me and went on my way.  

We all like different things, so let’s all celebrate what we like and let others do the same. 

PEACE 

Saying you don't like someone isn't snobbery.

I am a big Judge Jules fan (yes I know!) - he has constantly been panned for his BBC connections, but he was very influential in my Dance music education as a youngster. Annie Mac is probably the same for others and I get that, but I have seen her a few times in part and not enjoyed her sets.

Personally I just think there are better DJs who play "multi genre" stuff.  Eats Everything and 2ManyDjs are examples.

We do all like different things, but this is a discussion board - acts are there to be rated, good + bad. As long as it isn't abusive or malicious, I think we should be able to express our dislike for acts, it's part of the fun! 

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

I agree with your overall sentiment -- trust me when I say this thread is far more inclusive of a range of dance music than it has been in the past.

8 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

However the comment I quoted above, I think there is an element of truth to it -- and not in a bad way -- in the same way that (some!) "people who aren't really into dance music" would gravitate towards the SEC because it is 'what people do'. From what information we've gleaned over the last couple of years in interviews and so on, the organisers seem to be more conscious of putting big names (and nobody needs to dissect why they're big -- who cares?) in certain areas of the festival to help guide the flow of people a bit more. It's a positive thing imo, lets see if it works well this year.

• Upvote 2

She absolutely fits into the category of DJ’s for people that aren’t massively into dance music but there’s nothing wrong with that. I’d say Fatboy Slim does too. I’d also say they’re both incredibly proud of that.

If a young raver to be goes to see Annie Mac when they’re 16-21 and that is the catalyst for a lifetime of dance music then that’s a wonderful thing. Isn’t that the whole point anyway? They’re gateway DJ’s, it isn’t their job to play the latest underground techno or whatever. She is absolutely there on merit same as every other DJ. We all started somewhere, nobody popped out the womb a massive fan of Underground Resistance.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have to say that Annie Mac following the broad appeal of Fat Boy Eats Everything is very canny programming. It’ll be a super fun, popular party hour that will give the crowd already present exactly what they want. 

And it makes complete sense with regards to the attempts to spread the crowd wider across the site. Alongside the other night-time developments of the last couple of years, it should make everyone’s particular chosen areas nicer places to be. ??

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

Have to go see my fellow Belfast boys, Bicep. Playing a big outdoor set in the city in August so will be there anyway. Thinking of sacking off all headliners on Friday to catch them at Arcadia on Friday