Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

48 minutes ago, Tom White said:

Loving the knowledge and camaraderie on this thread. The google sheet is a revelation. 

Glasto newbie and 'closet raver' from back in the day. Can't wait. 

I'm going with a group of folk and no pressure to follow the crowd. There's a load of the EDM DJs I want to see.

Will move heaven and earth to get to see Haai (I ran listening to the Radio1 essential mix set on soundcloud last night - great stuff). 

I'm generally a 'hang about at the back and bob my head a lot' type of person. :) - just looking forward to soaking up the atmosphere.

Keep the recommendations coming. 

You're really welcome to the thread, Tom, and your first Glastonbury will blow your mind!

But steady with your nomenclature, young man...*

;)

Ben

*just kidding**

**kind of...

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Tom White said:

Ooops, I was trying to be 'young' and 'down with the kids'. apols. ;)

#midlifecrisisfail :)

Hey, if I can get it right at my age, then you've no excuse!

Who else is on your dance list, Tom? There's LOADS of knowledge in here that will help you to get to where you think you'd like to be. 

A first Glastonbury is an indescribable joy (we're all instantly jealous of you that you have it all to come...), and you should do all your discovery, but I know that, particularly from a night-time perspective, I'd have had an even better time if I'd known a little bit more about the after dark venues etc.

Ben

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hey, if I can get it right at my age, then you've no excuse!

Who else is on your dance list, Tom? There's LOADS of knowledge in here that will help you to get to where you think you'd like to be. 

I'm 47 in October. :). So won't be the oldest I am sure...but nowhere near a whipper snapper. 

So this thread has opened my eyes; I have to see Haai and Randomer I think. I've also never seen a Fat Boy Slim set so he'll be up there on my list. That should give you a bit of an idea of the type I like. 

BUT, and  this will upset the 'dance' cognoscenti, I am sure, but I saw David Guetta (I know, I know, bear with me) at IOW in 2017 and was right in the thick of it and it was excellent. So I know I like some of the shiny-anthem-mass-produced-drivel too - but not too 'pop-y'.  

And whilst I can manage some of the proper hardcore techno...I think hours and hours of it will break my mind. 

10 minutes ago, Tom White said:

I'm 47 in October. :). So won't be the oldest I am sure...but nowhere near a whipper snapper. 

So this thread has opened my eyes; I have to see Haai and Randomer I think. I've also never seen a Fat Boy Slim set so he'll be up there on my list. That should give you a bit of an idea of the type I like. 

BUT, and  this will upset the 'dance' cognoscenti, I am sure, but I saw David Guetta (I know, I know, bear with me) at IOW in 2017 and was right in the thick of it and it was excellent. So I know I like some of the shiny-anthem-mass-produced-drivel too - but not too 'pop-y'.  

And whilst I can manage some of the proper hardcore techno...I think hours and hours of it will break my mind. 

Oh dear.

Oh dear, oh dear...

Ha!!!

Mind you, a bonus point for using cognoscenti.

Without taking the piss (I promise), there really isn't any of the EDM-type stuff at Glastonbury, but there is lots that will push your buttons. Dare I suggest, are you a fan of tech-house, then? If so, there's quite a lot of that, particularly in The Temple.

Richy Ahmed, Patrick Topping (you have no idea how hard that is for me to write, but we're nothing if not inclusive in here...!), Solardo might be stuff for you to look at.

Heidi is great, and quite varied. She plays some good less-hard techno/electro, but can also do full sets of 'jackin' house'. Seth Troxler is also very versatile as a DJ.

As a massive spectacle, I reckon that Carl Cox b2b Jamie Jones on Pangea might be an amazing set for you at your first Glastonbury...the whole package will be incredible.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

5 minutes ago, Tom White said:

Off the top of my head, and bearing in mind we may have some shared enthusiasms;

chemical brothers / Hot chip

Four Tet

Bicep

Ross From Friends

Mall Grab

George FitzGerald

Carl Cox

Dj Seinfeld

Shanti Celeste

Joe Goddard

Mella Dee

Obviously there should be links to most of the above on “the spreadsheet”.

this is fairly approachable stuff that shouldn’t wreck your head too much!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tom White said:

^^^^^ thanks @bennyhana22 and @Eyebrow

definitely a Four Tet and George Fitzgerald, chems/hotchip fan. 

And @bennyhana22 tech-house probably sums it up tbh. Carl Cox was also already on my draft list :) 

Thanks again for the recos. Will seek out some sets to listen to!

Absolute pleasure.

I'm really hoping (probably pointlessly) that the George Fitzgerald live set on Glade on the Thursday is not too horrendously busy, as I think it has the potential to be amazing. The sound system on Glade is probably the best on site.

Ben

1 hour ago, Tom White said:

If you haven’t already, go listen to Jon Hopkins album ‘Singularity’ and report back.

Fatboy Eats Everything (Fatboy Slim vs. Eats Everything) on Pangea late Saturday night should be right up your street, so if you can, check that out too (they’ve got a set on YouTube if you want to see if it's to your liking before)

I echo the sentiments around Heidi - she’s class ??

Daniel Avery is also pretty great but we’re venturing into the harder Techno with him. He’s playing his own set in the Best Hotel ahead of Jon Hopkins but also doing back-to-back with HAAi at some point too

Either way, you’re not going to be short on fantastic DJ’s. Rave on, mate ??

Edited by LostHorizon

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:22 AM, bennyhana22 said:

Friday is defo Arcadia day and I would bloody love to meet up with as many E/D-ers as possible for Coxy and Charlotte (and indeed at ANY sets, tbh!).

This is the only time where, if I'm on shift, I'll be desperately seeking shift swaps.  Can not miss this! Makes me feel funny just thinking about it :-)

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Oh dear.

Oh dear, oh dear...

Ha!!!

Mind you, a bonus point for using cognoscenti.

Without taking the piss (I promise), there really isn't any of the EDM-type stuff at Glastonbury, but there is lots that will push your buttons. Dare I suggest, are you a fan of tech-house, then? If so, there's quite a lot of that, particularly in The Temple.

Richy Ahmed, Patrick Topping (you have no idea how hard that is for me to write, but we're nothing if not inclusive in here...!), Solardo might be stuff for you to look at.

Heidi is great, and quite varied. She plays some good less-hard techno/electro, but can also do full sets of 'jackin' house'. Seth Troxler is also very versatile as a DJ.

As a massive spectacle, I reckon that Carl Cox b2b Jamie Jones on Pangea might be an amazing set for you at your first Glastonbury...the whole package will be incredible.

Ben

Patrick Topping is dong a set of a mad Techno sub genre I’ve never heard of and can’t remember the name of. Madness.

Also if you like Shanti Celeste you should deffo check out S.A.S.S at Stonebridge bar . Probably the first good proper dance of the weekend. Me and all my mates will be there desperately trying to get in.

Edited by Tommy Dickfingers

46 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Absolute pleasure.

I'm really hoping (probably pointlessly) that the George Fitzgerald live set on Glade on the Thursday is not too horrendously busy, as I think it has the potential to be amazing. The sound system on Glade is probably the best on site.

Ben

Fingers xd for this too! 

For handiness I was thinking of heading to Babylon Uprising after Jon Hopkins for a bit of the Altern8 jungle set, suppose it's not that further over to Arcadia. The itinerary shifts once again! Suppose it would be hella rude not to check out the new Pangea set up at least once over the weekend!

2 minutes ago, rubick said:

For handiness I was thinking of heading to Babylon Uprising after Jon Hopkins for a bit of the Altern8 jungle set, suppose it's not that further over to Arcadia. The itinerary shifts once again! Suppose it would be hella rude not to check out the new Pangea set up at least once over the weekend!

that jungle set sounds amazing, I will be there

the TBA on pangea sat night is only an hour long set , still hoping for chase and status to do a return 2 jungle set

1 minute ago, shuttlep said:

the TBA on pangea sat night is only an hour long set , still hoping for chase and status to do a return 2 jungle set

I'd be really happy with that - whilst I love breakbeats in all their forms jungle and breakbeat hardcore was my first love, really determined to catch as much as possible over the festival. Still kicking myself over missing the Fabio & Grooverider History of DnB set at Sunday Arcadia in 2017!

Speaking of breakbeat hardcore - any pointers from the panel for DJs to look out for that isn't Slipmatt & Altern8 and 4am on Monday morning? 

18 minutes ago, rubick said:

I'd be really happy with that - whilst I love breakbeats in all their forms jungle and breakbeat hardcore was my first love, really determined to catch as much as possible over the festival. Still kicking myself over missing the Fabio & Grooverider History of DnB set at Sunday Arcadia in 2017!

Speaking of breakbeat hardcore - any pointers from the panel for DJs to look out for that isn't Slipmatt & Altern8 and 4am on Monday morning? 

Mr fingers in NYC downlow!

1 minute ago, rubick said:

Mr. Heard is already pencilled in for 1am Saturday on IICON!

Yup I'll be at that! Looks epic. Think the NYCDL set will be the classics set aka Mr fingers and imagine all new stuff at IICON. Cya there!

Just now, bigbilly said:

Yup I'll be at that! Looks epic. Think the NYCDL set will be the classics set aka Mr fingers and imagine all new stuff at IICON. Cya there!

Larry then Hessle Audio seems like a rather pleasant late night/early morning! ?

27 minutes ago, rubick said:

Saturday in Blind Tiger from 01:00 (SunAM) looks tasty

NICK THE HEDGE 04:00 - 05:00
UNCLE DUGS (EARLY NINETIES SET) 02:00 - 04:00
JIM BITCH OLD SKOOL RAVE (100% VINYL SET) 01:00 - 02:00

1 minute ago, chibukushakeshake said:

Saturday in Blind Tiger from 01:00 (SunAM) looks tasty

NICK THE HEDGE 04:00 - 05:00
UNCLE DUGS (EARLY NINETIES SET) 02:00 - 04:00
JIM BITCH OLD SKOOL RAVE (100% VINYL SET) 01:00 - 02:00

Outstanding @chibukushakeshake, plenty to dive in to there! Much appreciated!