Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

22 minutes ago, KhalDrogo8 said:

Hello lovely people. First time at Glasto and been lurking all week. What's the situation with access to the SEC stages late on? When do queues start? When is there a risk you won't get in? Any beginner info to ensure main sets aren't missed would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

I've never found that I can't get in through the one way system they set up at night, but quite often I've found it so rammed that I can't move, and I've tended to leave at that point.  Some areas tend to be quieter than others.  Unfairground is generally less rammed than Block 9 and Shangri-La.  Common tends to be somewhere in between.  It's worse if there's mud. If there's something you really want to see between 11 and 1 I'd seriously consider either missing or leaving a headliner early to get in there.  It normally opens up on Thursday afternoon, so I'd also take the chance to go and have a wander early on if you can just to get a feel for where the areas are and how to get between them.

Welcome to the board, and have an amazing first festival!!

26 minutes ago, Quark said:

I've never found that I can't get in through the one way system they set up at night, but quite often I've found it so rammed that I can't move, and I've tended to leave at that point.  Some areas tend to be quieter than others.  Unfairground is generally less rammed than Block 9 and Shangri-La.  Common tends to be somewhere in between.  It's worse if there's mud. If there's something you really want to see between 11 and 1 I'd seriously consider either missing or leaving a headliner early to get in there.  It normally opens up on Thursday afternoon, so I'd also take the chance to go and have a wander early on if you can just to get a feel for where the areas are and how to get between them.

This is really solid advice. All I'd add is to not treat the SEC purely as a collection of stages for main acts. There is SO MUCH going on around the fringes and in between the big stuff that is worth discovering. Take @Quark's advice and get down there in time to explore for a few hours with no agenda: open doors, look behind walls etc .Shangri-la in particular is (or has in previous years been) full of small spaces with interesting stuff going on in them, little experiences, performances etc.

1 hour ago, KhalDrogo8 said:

Hello lovely people. First time at Glasto and been lurking all week. What's the situation with access to the SEC stages late on? When do queues start? When is there a risk you won't get in? Any beginner info to ensure main sets aren't missed would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

The only time I’ve known them to actually stop access was in 2016 when the ground conditions were so bad they restricted the amount of people going in for safety reasons.

Otherwise, normally the queue is constantly moving just slowed down by walking back and forth through a cattle pen! 

28 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Has it been mentioned... where is Diplo? Wasnt he on the original poster?

Apparently he was in the TBA spot headlining JP Saturday night but disappeared. 

Current assumption is a late pull out I think. 

39 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

If anyone is looking forward for the things to come... Sorry it’s just Facebook link, but Haai just posted her set from AVA festival and I can’t get enough of it! Absolute crackers!!!

Ha, fancy dropping Dooms night! Love it!

id never heard of HAAi until a few days ago and she’s now a must see!

7 hours ago, Jay89 said:

If anyone is looking forward for the things to come... Sorry it’s just Facebook link, but Haai just posted her set from AVA festival and I can’t get enough of it! Absolute crackers!!!

I wont lie, I thought that was a mixed bag. Didnt really flow so I couldnt get into it fully. 

I apologise for my heresy!

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I wont lie, I thought that was a mixed bag. Didnt really flow so I couldnt get into it fully. 

I apologise for my heresy!

Totally know where you’re coming from. Think she just went for ‘let’s have a party’ as opposed to well thought trough set. However, I’m up for that, but I get it’s not everyone’s cup of tea :)

I swerved headliners for MAW last time was well worth it. Got to the Downlow in good time well relaxed. In regards to beating the queues just go there on Wednesday and buy a moustache, buy a few it’s for a good cause. Nothing better going on Wednesday night in much opinion anyway.

What our crew usually do is nip back tent before subheadliner and get ready for the night. Grab gear/cans/coat/money and once headliners finish head straight to where we wanna go next. If you tell everyone that’s where you’re going then it’s up to them if they make it or not. They’ll soon learn if they don’t make it in one night to stop fucking about.

15 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

the best time is to get in just before the headliners finish via the entry point on the map ..it will get very busy after that with queues very likely  :) maybe slightly quieter on the sunday once many people have left 

14 hours ago, Quark said:

14 hours ago, hmmmloddy said:

This is really solid advice. All I'd add is to not treat the SEC purely as a collection of stages for main acts. There is SO MUCH going on around the fringes and in between the big stuff that is worth discovering. Take @Quark's advice and get down there in time to explore for a few hours with no agenda: open doors, look behind walls etc .Shangri-la in particular is (or has in previous years been) full of small spaces with interesting stuff going on in them, little experiences, performances etc.

13 hours ago, stuie said:

The only time I’ve known them to actually stop access was in 2016 when the ground conditions were so bad they restricted the amount of people going in for safety reasons.

Otherwise, normally the queue is constantly moving just slowed down by walking back and forth through a cattle pen! 

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

Welcome!

The biggest mistake to make I find is returning to your campsite after a headline act, regrouping your mates and picking up supplies. By the time you’re on the move, you’re on the backfoot. Try and have it all ready to go before sundown else your chances are as good as 100,000 others.

A quick refuel after The Killers really would be a killer.

That aside: it’s hardly like Dawn of the Dead. Just have to be canny.

If there’s anything you like the look of in the NYC Downlow, I would second the general advice about skipping a headliner - it’s an imperative. Even if you make a move to SEC at bang on 11.30, the Downlow queue fills up. It’s less of a problem much later into the night but 12-3am isn’t a fun queue to be in.

I pretty much sprinted after the end of Justice in 2017 but had friends who lagged. They got trapped outside and missed a glorious Masters At Work set (shame) 

IICON is new and Genosys is larger/nicher than it was, occupying outdoors spaces that are quite easy to manoeuvre around once you’re into the SEC.

I’ve found The Temple has tough queues at peak hours. Again, depending on whether you are a Patrick Topping head or an Eris Drew fan, that’ll differ.

We here are obviously meticulous planners and that runs counter to the festival spirit a bit but...it helps to be well drilled. Too eager to chance just idling about from stage to stage and missing the gold, you know?

40 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I swerved headliners for MAW last time was well worth it. Got to the Downlow in good time well relaxed. In regards to beating the queues just go there on Wednesday and buy a moustache, buy a few it’s for a good cause. Nothing better going on Wednesday night in much opinion anyway.

What our crew usually do is nip back tent before subheadliner and get ready for the night. Grab gear/cans/coat/money and once headliners finish head straight to where we wanna go next. If you tell everyone that’s where you’re going then it’s up to them if they make it or not. They’ll soon learn if they don’t make it in one night to stop fucking about.

Wow, thank you everyone for the incredible responses. This is exactly the info I was looking for. See you all on the dancefloor! 

46 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Honestly, this. If pals want to dodder around or get distracted by bright lights and Motown pumping out a bar en route, no worries – will catch up with them, either that night or in the morning.

Sounds brutal but everyone is on different wavelengths by the night, SEC requires some strategy to get the best of, and you can't be accountable for herding a flock of spangled sheep around.

Hahahahaha. Boss. Know the feeling! 

The night time thing is a bigger part of my festival than the bands during the day to be totally honest. That only applies for about 3/4 others coming with our lot. A lot of them just wonder around off their heads gawping at stuff. That’s fair enough everyone’s free to do what they want just don’t expect me to wait for you. I’m usually the tallest person there so it’s not hard to find me anyway.

52 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Done the same last year, missed Justice but got to watch MAW in the downlow which was bucketlist gear.

Oh an they done a Nuyorican Soul set on Genosys to about 20 people before aswell. 

Honestly, this. If pals want to dodder around or get distracted by bright lights and Motown pumping out a bar en route, no worries – will catch up with them, either that night or in the morning.

Sounds brutal but everyone is on different wavelengths by the night, SEC requires some strategy to get the best of, and you can't be accountable for herding a flock of spangled sheep around.

None of my mates are into electronic music much, apart from 1 who mostly likes trance, so I tend to spend the night wandering on my own. I'm toyally fine with this though, I get to do what I want without having to worry about losing anyone and I normally get chatting to a few nice people along the way!

14 hours ago, stuie said:

Yeah, I took one wander in 2016, thought "fuck this" and didn't go back! The combination of that thick sucking mud and the volume of people was not pleasant

37 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

This has probably been covered but - I have never been in the Beat Hotel. What is "Room service"? I am planning on being at the Pyramid early on Friday and Saturday. Will there be a DJ on for Room service or is it something else?

I wondered that too but it seems Room Service is a DJ

https://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/roomservice