Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

On 5/4/2019 at 12:52 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

He seems like a good guy to be honest. He is a massive Carl Cox fan, which goes down well with me to be honest

Bumped into Dan in 2017 by the Pyramid Stage watching Chic, he was having a great time dancing away.. had a little chat with him, seems a top bloke and always has time for people. My mates sat next to him in a cocktail bar in Ibiza one year and he ended up on a night out with them!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Avalon Emerson last night my word. She was unreal, haven’t enjoyed a set like that in time. Hope she’s on properly late one night could be one for the ages. 

Was hoping someone would return was their thoughts on this. She's absolutely brilliant 

30 minutes ago, Homer said:

My fucking mates turned up late - so I missed the 15 minute may the 4th Star Wars set with dancing stormtroopers! Apparently Chewbacca came on too!

Well that’s extremely annoying!

21 hours ago, DJL said:

Forgive my ignorance on the subject (and it has probably been discussed) is there a Spotify playlist equivalent for easily checking out all the DJs in the line-up(s)? Soundcloud?

I think the massive Spotify playlist for this forum just uses the top tracks produced by the artists. Taking nothing away from it because it’s a thing of sublime effort and beauty (and still v useful for live electronic acts). But a lot of the excitement on this thread is about DJ sets so it’s not an ideal way of getting to know new names. I’m always personally quite surprised about the difference between the styles of what a DJ produces and what they DJ live (even taking in to account the need to move/read a crowd when DJing).

Anyway, I’m really interested in trying to crowd source a list of recent-ish sets from the line up to help me get to know some new names. There’s already quite a lot of sharing happening in this respect on this thread so maybe it’s just a question of  cross posting to a google doc whenever someone has got a set to share? I’d love a single playlist but I feel like what’s available is always spread across soundcloud, Mixcloud, YouTube and others so it would be a bit of an impossible task.

What does everyone think? I’d be happy to set up the doc and put a few mixes in to start the ball rolling if you’re up for it? 

44 minutes ago, hmmmloddy said:

I think the massive Spotify playlist for this forum just uses the top tracks produced by the artists. Taking nothing away from it because it’s a thing of sublime effort and beauty (and still v useful for live electronic acts). But a lot of the excitement on this thread is about DJ sets so it’s not an ideal way of getting to know new names. I’m always personally quite surprised about the difference between the styles of what a DJ produces and what they DJ live (even taking in to account the need to move/read a crowd when DJing).

Anyway, I’m really interested in trying to crowd source a list of recent-ish sets from the line up to help me get to know some new names. There’s already quite a lot of sharing happening in this respect on this thread so maybe it’s just a question of  cross posting to a google doc whenever someone has got a set to share? I’d love a single playlist but I feel like what’s available is always spread across soundcloud, Mixcloud, YouTube and others so it would be a bit of an impossible task.

What does everyone think? I’d be happy to set up the doc and put a few mixes in to start the ball rolling if you’re up for it? 

This is exactly what I was thinking. My level of preparation for artists that perform their own songs is greatly improved by the ease of the Spotify playlists (overall and by stage) but DJs I struggle to know where to start. 

2 hours ago, hmmmloddy said:

Here's one from earlier this year from the Spektre lads. Enjoy! 

https://mixing.dj/spektre-mutual-respekt-223/

Alright, here's a quick stab at somewhere to share and discover sets (mixing not live production) from DJs on this years line up. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BzyCqFTgA8W64VGxlTA-ctmum77HUPvjltC8MJ8K0uc/edit#gid=0

Added a couple myself plus a handful from recent pages on this thread. If any of you have really strong recommendations and good example sets to share, stick them in here. I'll also pull stuff from the forum across from time to time if it's missing.

PS, I don't have the time to 'admin' this properly so if you see a problem, an error or an opportunity to improve then feel free to edit it. Hopefully this gathers enough momentum to  help us all discover some new acts and doesn't just gather dust / tail spin in to a debate about genres ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

On 5/5/2019 at 12:46 PM, DJL said:

Forgive my ignorance on the subject (and it has probably been discussed) is there a Spotify playlist equivalent for easily checking out all the DJs in the line-up(s)? Soundcloud?

I've been using Soundcloud. Been able to find most on there, and it's much better if you can get a feel of the whole set......but very much liking the new suggestion by @hmmmloddy!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, hmmmloddy said:

Alright, here's a quick stab at somewhere to share and discover sets (mixing not live production) from DJs on this years line up. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BzyCqFTgA8W64VGxlTA-ctmum77HUPvjltC8MJ8K0uc/edit#gid=0

Added a couple myself plus a handful from recent pages on this thread. If any of you have really strong recommendations and good example sets to share, stick them in here. I'll also pull stuff from the forum across from time to time if it's missing.

PS, I don't have the time to 'admin' this properly so if you see a problem, an error or an opportunity to improve then feel free to edit it. Hopefully this gathers enough momentum to  help us all discover some new acts and doesn't just gather dust / tail spin in to a debate about genres ?

Cracking idea hope it takes off 

1 hour ago, hmmmloddy said:

Fantastic idea! Just added a bunch of more obvious ones. Hope some people discover something new to enjoy at the festival. Will add more later

• Upvote 1

Apologies if this is a regular query on the thread - but what's the history (if any) of Andrew Weatherall playing at the festival? He's one of the few DJs I'd still make an effort to go and see when he's over here - especially his partnership with Sean Johnston and their A Love From Outer Space nights they put on across the UK and Ireland. ALFOS would be a perfect evening in The Glade or tucked away in Block9, pure filthy downtempo acid house! Has Weatherall played the festival in recent years?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hmmmloddy said:

Great idea, added a Jayda G (If I had to only recommend one it would be her! incredible disco funk vibes!!), also Peggy Gou and Artwork. 

1 minute ago, Johnnyseven said:

From Carl Cox on Facebook:

"I am playing 2 other parties that weekend at Glastonbury that are techno gigs. All is not lost. ?"

And whilst we were confident of this, that is fantastic.

That HAS to be the new Block9 über stage and Arcadia, no?

Ben

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

JOPKINS TO HEADLINE WEST HOLTS ON FRIDAY

THE DREAM HAS COME TRUE

?? ?? ??

Ben

If the sound is as good for JH as it was for James Blake in 2015, that's going to be absolutely incredible...

And his live AV projections on a stage that big will be spectacular.

@zero000 - see you there...!

Ben

2 hours ago, hmmmloddy said:

Top one - great effort. Looking forward to checking this out and to adding in where I can - this is turning into one of my favourite threads