Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

2 minutes ago, OffshoreToon said:

Thinking about it, it might actually bring about a better event than throwing money around. Artists who would be keen to play based on the artistic value are those who surely take their craft more seriously and thus will put on a better show. 

Great point. Let's hope the artistic output matches what promises to be a sonic and visual extravaganza! No doubt it will

13 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I wonder how many acts and DJs also get sold on the concepts of these areas? I'd be amazed if they hadn't been shown concept art to try and entice them? Money surely can't be everything to these people? They work 50 weekends a year for top dollar, sometimes, if the fees might be less than usual, it must be a buzz for them to be integral to something creative, immersive and unique? 

DJ's seem to follow the money. In fairness though, they can't make much from selling tunes, so it is how they earn their crust.

For British acts - there is a prestige playing at Glastonbury that there isn't for other nations. Quite a few will constantly play Creamfields and not Glastonbury (Prydz for example) who no doubt pay him through the nose in comparison. Plus they give him more creative freedom to pick who plays on the same day.

15 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Just watching a live set of theirs from Inverness, Fuzz. Very nice live techno. Not formulaic, lots of different styles. Very nice. I'm guessing that they'll DJ in Spaceport, though I guess they could play live. Maybe I'll ping them a message and ask. Am I misremembering, or have they had DJ booths at both ends of the Spaceport? Or did they just swap it 'round from 2016 to 2017...?

Ben

Main site suggests Spaceport has a new design this year - so may have space for live sets?

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Great point. Let's hope the artistic output matches what promises to be a sonic and visual extravaganza! No doubt it will

Yeah, as somebody else has already said, its a tad overwhelming. After Boomtown last year I was heading into this year ready to just go with the flow (as Boomtown don't release set times, I couldn't be arsed to plan whilst I was there through a .pdf on my phone) but there are too many new things that need to be seen this year, especially with the competition for tickets for the 50th next year. 

My mate used to run a hard house night in Bristol called Ripsnorter, where a pre-Eats Everything Dan Pearce was a resident. My mate put on a reunion night in Bristol about five years ago for about 100, maybe 150 people and he came down and DJed under the name Dan Pearce. He even went on fairly early as the other guys played harder than him.

He did similar and played a breaks set at the Blue Mountain in Bristol in Feb when they thought it was closing down. 

10 minutes ago, Homer said:

My mate used to run a hard house night in Bristol called Ripsnorter, where a pre-Eats Everything Dan Pearce was a resident. My mate put on a reunion night in Bristol about five years ago for about 100, maybe 150 people and he came down and DJed under the name Dan Pearce. He even went on fairly early as the other guys played harder than him.

He did similar and played a breaks set at the Blue Mountain in Bristol in Feb when they thought it was closing down. 

Love this

18 minutes ago, ravermum said:

Love this

I think he's a genuinely nice guy. I used to know him to say hello to (through that club and also I interviewed him for a Bristol listings mag I used to work for). Through that mag I blagged free tickets to Escape into the Park in Swansea (big hard house/trance affair run by the old Escape clubs). He was DJing in a tent to a couple of thousand people in the afternoon.

We had backstage passes with our tickets, so, being a bit spangled and pissed, I pointed at the empty stage and said 'can we get up there and dance?' He said 'go for it., We were up there for about an hour before this security guard walked on with a horrified look on his face and dragged us off - being that we were three pissed blokes in jeans and t-shirts dancing away fairly badly. Though a lot of the people in the crowd were loving us (don't do drugs kids!).

Dan Pearce didn't give a shit though - I think he quite unpretentious and, like someone said earlier, an old raver who just loves the scene.

16 minutes ago, Homer said:

I think he's a genuinely nice guy. I used to know him to say hello to (through that club and also I interviewed him for a Bristol listings mag I used to work for). Through that mag I blagged free tickets to Escape into the Park in Swansea (big hard house/trance affair run by the old Escape clubs). He was DJing in a tent to a couple of thousand people in the afternoon.

We had backstage passes with our tickets, so, being a bit spangled and pissed, I pointed at the empty stage and said 'can we get up there and dance?' He said 'go for it., We were up there for about an hour before this security guard walked on with a horrified look on his face and dragged us off - being that we were three pissed blokes in jeans and t-shirts dancing away fairly badly. Though a lot of the people in the crowd were loving us (don't do drugs kids!).

Dan Pearce didn't give a shit though - I think he quite unpretentious and, like someone said earlier, an old raver who just loves the scene.

He seems like a good guy to be honest. He is a massive Carl Cox fan, which goes down well with me to be honest

42 minutes ago, Homer said:

Aw, yeah, nice story - and also when he did those sets from a chip shop - I loved him for that

12 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Bloc9 for sure. That’s a big booking. I feel like Bloc9 will be the last line up dropped then this thread will all go mad.

They don’t have the biggest budget for artists do they? They must be getting them via word of mouth, DJ’s must be telling others they’ve got to play/will want to see the installations/area.

Block9 lineup is out 14th May, so probably one of the last big ones anyway. Although in previous years Arcadia has been after them (usually just before the full full lineup).

The Wormhole said there's was on 17th May, but I'd imagine that'll be a small announcement themselves, rather than a big official thing.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, ravermum said:

Aw, yeah, nice story - and also when he did those sets from a chip shop - I loved him for that

My mate stumbled across that boiler room set in the fish and chip shop on his way back from work. Couldn't believe his luck.

Saw him at motion yesterday he played an early set from 5 - 7 and really got the crowd going. When he dropped the four tet track only human it really went off. 

Capriati was also very very good but my highlight was Heidi who just played the most amazing set.

17 minutes ago, dccool said:

My mate stumbled across that boiler room set in the fish and chip shop on his way back from work. Couldn't believe his luck.

Saw him at motion yesterday he played an early set from 5 - 7 and really got the crowd going. When he dropped the four tet track only human it really went off. 

Capriati was also very very good but my highlight was Heidi who just played the most amazing set.

Nice ? Sounds like a good one

Imagine stumbling on Eats Everything playing  in a chip shop on your way home from work ?

bit of weekend plans chatter - off to the wigflex city festival today some great names on the line up just some tough clashing decisions

plan to see midland do his ambient set, bit of honey dijon, max coopers live a/v i’m very excited for after hearing on here how good it is and then head down to my final venue Brickworks for the night for dj stingray, SPFDJ and last but no means least closing with Avalon Emerson!

should be a good glasto warmup - will be my last big one until then...

4512C416-CF0D-455D-B47E-240662B7EB54.png

6 minutes ago, joemason96 said:

bit of weekend plans chatter - off to the wigflex city festival today some great names on the line up just some tough clashing decisions

plan to see midland do his ambient set, bit of honey dijon, max coopers live a/v i’m very excited for after hearing on here how good it is and then head down to my final venue Brickworks for the night for dj stingray, SPFDJ and last but no means least closing with Avalon Emerson!

should be a good glasto warmup - will be my last big one until then...

4512C416-CF0D-455D-B47E-240662B7EB54.png

That's a fantastic line up, that should be brilliant. 

Enjoy! 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Saw DJ Yoda last night at Dreamland in Margate, along with Jazzy Jeff. He was on top form, shame he's not on the line-up!

Still hoping he pops up... he was great in Nottingham the other week

1 minute ago, DJL said:

Still hoping he pops up... he was great in Nottingham the other week

My fucking mates turned up late - so I missed the 15 minute may the 4th Star Wars set with dancing stormtroopers! Apparently Chewbacca came on too!