Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

50 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

Printworks tonight. Really looking forward to it. Most excited for Dj Seinfeld B2B George Fitzgerald tbh. Seinfeld always delivers.

Also to those who've been Printworks lately, how invasive are the pat downs searches? Only been once and it was standard, no crotch grabbing, no shoe check but have heard stories off mates that they can be quite full on sometimes. 

Just wondering what to expect/be prepared hah. ?

I've been 4 times in this season and slightly more invasive than previously, all depends how busy the secuirty queues are from experience, as long as you don't keep any things in the turn ups of your jeans or in the tops of your socks you'll be fine, usual precautions are fine and still haven't ever seen a dog on duty there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Acid Loafers said:

Printworks tonight. Really looking forward to it. Most excited for Dj Seinfeld B2B George Fitzgerald tbh. Seinfeld always delivers.

Also to those who've been Printworks lately, how invasive are the pat downs searches? Only been once and it was standard, no crotch grabbing, no shoe check but have heard stories off mates that they can be quite full on sometimes. 

Just wondering what to expect/be prepared hah. ?

Pretty lax. Awesome lineup tonight, will be quality! Have a great time. Let us know how it goes, seeing Seinfeld next month so be good to hear what his shows like.

6 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

I've been 4 times in this season and slightly more invasive than previously, all depends how busy the secuirty queues are from experience, as long as you don't keep any things in the turn ups of your jeans or in the tops of your socks you'll be fine, usual precautions are fine and still haven't ever seen a dog on duty there.

Good to hear! Was planning to be safe as usual, regardless.

6 hours ago, rwoo said:

Pretty lax. Awesome lineup tonight, will be quality! Have a great time. Let us know how it goes, seeing Seinfeld next month so be good to hear what his shows like.

This will be 4th time seeing him, this is b2b so might be different. But when I have seen him, he puts on a great night. He dropped Roy Keane-Brame and Hamo, Yeke Yeke - Elektroid,  and The Phoenix Pt2-Marquis Hawkes off the top of my head (glanced at Shazam) when he did 6 hours at Village Underground. It's always fun with him, for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Have a great night, @Acid Loafers, and just tuck things up well...

George Fitzgerald is a brilliant mixer, IMO (if not always quite the right side of techy for me...), always thinking about the flow and the journey for his crowd. Should be ace for you.

Ben

Thanks for the advice! ;) 

Looking forward to it then, first time seeing George. I feel that I'll like the music selection. Think my style is a bit "lighter" than a few of yous here. I dabble in techno but not heavily.

Will let y'all know on Monday my thoughts ? 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, kd96 said:

Chances of Objekt making an appearance this year? Saw him at WHP not long ago and he was brilliant 

Don't know. It seems like the sort of festival he'd like, and he's not a prima donna - plays smallish venues that I know don't pay huge fees, so maybe.

I saw him earlier in the year with Jane Fitz and he was great. Will be seeing him at Dimensions too. Would love to see him tear up Arcadia...

Ben

On 3/29/2019 at 5:53 PM, kd96 said:

Chances of Objekt making an appearance this year? Saw him at WHP not long ago and he was brilliant 

God I hope he does best DJ I seen last year. Seeing him at White Hotel few weeks before Glastonbury. Call Super played 2017 and him and Objekt are big mates. Seen them B2B at Dekmantel they were unreal. Could see him on Genoysys.

Thought I'd rescue this great thread from the murky depths of page four. Been reading DJ Magazine this week, they have their (quite obviously heavily sponsored) Top 100 Clubs feature, which is interesting. I know it's off-topic Glasto-wise but while there's a lull in proceedings I'd love to know everyone's favourite clubs and why they're so special, including venues from the past no longer open and those currently around today.

2 minutes ago, EZYSEY said:

Bushwacka! (from Layo and Bushwacka) posted on Instagram to say he's been booked to play a headline set at Glasto this year. Doesn't say where or when...my guess is somewhere in the Glade.

they were amazing last time

6 minutes ago, EZYSEY said:

Bushwacka! (from Layo and Bushwacka) posted on Instagram to say he's been booked to play a headline set at Glasto this year. Doesn't say where or when...my guess is somewhere in the Glade.

Good news for me. I really like Bushwacka. Seen him a few times at DC10 and Space in Ibiza.

42 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Thought I'd rescue this great thread from the murky depths of page four. Been reading DJ Magazine this week, they have their (quite obviously heavily sponsored) Top 100 Clubs feature, which is interesting. I know it's off-topic Glasto-wise but while there's a lull in proceedings I'd love to know everyone's favourite clubs and why they're so special, including venues from the past no longer open and those currently around today.

Yes! That Friday night weekly round up for the thread, with a nudge from @Supernintendo Chalmers - thanks! 

My clubbing geography is just too localised to contribute much to your question, SC, so I’ll just sit back and see what people say. I did manage to go to a ‘Superclub’ last year, by virtue of Club Paradiso on Mykonos to see Richie Hawtin. It was great and I had a fab time. However it suffers, as I’m sure do many similar ‘prestige’ venues in an atmosphere built on being a place to be seen as much as a great place to go. System was very good. Not spectacular, but very good. Lights were fine. But there’s a shallow paddling pool in there. What?! And, given that Mykonos is one of THE island destinations now for A listers and therefore endless wannabes, it had a lot of people who you felt weren’t into the scene in terms of loving the music and culture so much. No hassle, everyone friendly, just not one of THOSE crowds that you enjoy the most. 

For me, the best venue has an unblemished sound system first and foremost. Then, it’s dark. Dancing takes place in the dark. Boat day parties are anathema to me! And then there are lasers. And smoke. And lasers. And a crowd who are there for a truly collective experience. That’s my favourite club. Y’know, like Genosys at Glastonbury when it’s 3am and everything falls into place!

In other news, what are people up to this weekend?

I’m very excited to be off tomorrow night to a very rare opportunity for some quality trance, including what I expect to be a beautifully brutal hour of tech trance from EverLight. I’ve got a 23km trail race tomorrow morning too, so I might need a bit of a nap mid-arvo!

Anyone else got a big one planned? 

??

Ben

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Ill do a list ..

1. Amnesia - Ibiza. The first time I went, it blew me away. I had the (at the time) best night of my life there in 2004. The main room is a weird shape, the DJ booth was raised, with a mirror above it so you could see what they were doing. The shape of the room made the atmosphere unreal. The 2nd room was simple, but I loved it. It isnt the "best" club. Until quite recently, no lazers etc, but the ice cannons, the atmosphere & because of the memories - it's ny favourite.

2. Space - Ibiza. Similar reasons. Space was a better club. Soundstystem, layout, lazers etc. It felt different. The different areas all had a uniqueness. It felt unlike a british superclub. It felt Spanish. It could look different at different times. It used to open at 8am on a Sunday and run through til monday morning too. Great times.

3. Gatecrasher one / The Republic - Sheffield. The king of the UK clubs in my opinion. It was big with a fantastic soundsystem. Lazers galore & I had my own area there, we also went to "our spot". I knew a lot of people there as I was a regular.

4. Gashouder - Amsterdam. It's like Space Main room, but in a gas works. I never believed I'd find a venue which got it so right. Perfect sound, fantastic djs, perfect laser system, friendly crowds. It's big, with a modern set up, but keeps a warehouse / industrial feel. Highly recommended.

I haven't seen the DJ Mag poll. It once ranked Sankey's in Manchester as the best club in the world, so I can't take it seriously!

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Ill do a list ..

1. Amnesia - Ibiza. The first time I went, it blew me away. I had the (at the time) best night of my life there in 2004. The main room is a weird shape, the DJ booth was raised, with a mirror above it so you could see what they were doing. The shape of the room made the atmosphere unreal. The 2nd room was simple, but I loved it. It isnt the "best" club. Until quite recently, no lazers etc, but the ice cannons, the atmosphere & because of the memories - it's ny favourite.

2. Space - Ibiza. Similar reasons. Space was a better club. Soundstystem, layout, lazers etc. It felt different. The different areas all had a uniqueness. It felt unlike a british superclub. It felt Spanish. It could look different at different times. It used to open at 8am on a Sunday and run through til monday morning too. Great times.

3. Gatecrasher one / The Republic - Sheffield. The king of the UK clubs in my opinion. It was big with a fantastic soundsystem. Lazers galore & I had my own area there, we also went to "our spot". I knew a lot of people there as I was a regular.

4. Gashouder - Amsterdam. It's like Space Main room, but in a gas works. I never believed I'd find a venue which got it so right. Perfect sound, fantastic djs, perfect laser system, friendly crowds. It's big, with a modern set up, but keeps a warehouse / industrial feel. Highly recommended.

I haven't seen the DJ Mag poll. It once ranked Sankey's in Manchester as the best club in the world, so I can't take it seriously!

I have been hankering after a trip for Gashouder for some time and your description confirms just why I want to go so much ?

40 minutes ago, ravermum said:

I have been hankering after a trip for Gashouder for some time and your description confirms just why I want to go so much ?

You should do! The only negative is the token system for drinks. No cash. It is annoying.

Never wear any shoes / trainers that you don't mind getting knackered too. 

Great to hear people respecting trance (the proper stuff not cheesy crap). 

If you want decent trance then are can't think of anyone else that does a better job currently than John 00 Fleming. 

He has a podcast and his 'deep' mixes are usually sublime. His Essential MIx from a fears years back is also fucking immense. 

9 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Space Ibiza - simply the best. First time on the island landed just before midnight, in Space for Carl Cox by 1am. Perfect sound system built and primed for the club, lazers and giant robot man shooting pyros. Friendly international crowd. That was just the main room, the terrace could compete with any club- each brick behind the dj both with programmed light projections.

club closed at 6:30am and reopened at 7:30am as ‘In bed with space’ sunlight up and the 3 outdoor areas with music and double beds for chilling.

Not been to its current reincarnation Hi Ibiza, Mrs is going when we are on island in September so I’ll wait to hear about the changes - we’ve chosen Privilege for....Carl Cox?

Tall Trees in Yarm, Manchester Store st for WHP,  Sundissential at Evolution Leeds all held great nights!

Loved my local club xs, spent every weekend in there for a number of years for whatever dance nights they had. Dance floor with balcony all way around, notbthe friendliest crowd though until 3am when the main idiots had departed. Stopped going when bouncers changed and became less liberal

3 hours ago, Upside down frowner said:

Space Ibiza - simply the best. First time on the island landed just before midnight, in Space for Carl Cox by 1am. Perfect sound system built and primed for the club, lazers and giant robot man shooting pyros. Friendly international crowd. That was just the main room, the terrace could compete with any club- each brick behind the dj both with programmed light projections.

club closed at 6:30am and reopened at 7:30am as ‘In bed with space’ sunlight up and the 3 outdoor areas with music and double beds for chilling.

Not been to its current reincarnation Hi Ibiza, Mrs is going when we are on island in September so I’ll wait to hear about the changes - we’ve chosen Privilege for....Carl Cox?

Get yourself to Gashouder... I can tell you'd love it! I was at this one

• Upvote 1