Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

11 hours ago, Jay89 said:

Usually, how the dance acts get announced? Would they appear on later poster add ups, or artist announcing themselves? Orrrr will the stages curators drop names throughout some time? When can we expect to know more?

I can't remember if they do it every year but there was a time when they released each area's poster separately. So, Silver Hayes announced on one day, Block 9 another. For example, for 2015's festival they released these on different days, very exciting and better than all names in one go. That Friday on Arcadia in 2015 was ridiculous.

Check out the Glasto Thingy for when to expect announcements all the while being mindful that #thereisnopattern

silverhayesupdated2015poster783.jpg

Arcadia-Glastonbury-Lineup-2015.jpg

SL_LineUp_2015a.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Spektre are Paul Maddox (a hard house dj) and Filthy Rich (an electro house dj)

So much better doing this together!

Fuck I didn’t realise it was Paul Maddox! Remember him well from my TidyTrax days and he was a nice lad, very talented even then. Yes, I was a hardhouse head. 

Edited by HeyPorter
Hardhouse

4 hours ago, HeyPorter said:

Related to my previous post (see above) has anyone here ever attended a Tidy weekender?

Yes. 2 of them

The Wild West one & the one that Roy Walker was at... number 10 I think.

I was never that into Hard House, but I used to go to the odd event. Hard house crowds are the friendliest crowds you'll ever meet.

Someone asked for 10 dance tracks that influenced you... I picked 1 hard house tune...

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Yes. 2 of them

The Wild West one & the one that Roy Walker was at... number 10 I think.

I was never that into Hard House, but I used to go to the odd event. Hard house crowds are the friendliest crowds you'll ever meet.

Someone asked for 10 dance tracks that influenced you... I picked 1 hard house tune...

I feel embarrassed, I went to 14! Even had had the old tidy symbol tattooed on my arm which I’ve since had covered. Seen Timmy mallet and Cheggers at mine. Yeah it was a proper community spirit to be fair. Did you go Prestatyn or the southern summer ones? 

Edited by HeyPorter
Southern

3 minutes ago, HeyPorter said:

I feel embarrassed, I went to 14! Even had had the old tidy symbol tattooed on my arm which I’ve since had covered. Seen Timmy mallet and Cheggers at mine. Yeah it was a proper community spirit to be fair. Did you go Prestatyn or the summer ones? 

I went to Prestatyn. 

Illogik was always my favourite Hard House DJ, he was full of techno really & was more me. I was never into it massively, but went to the odd thing around and about. Went to Tidy @ Magna a couple of times.

My mates were at the Cheggers one.

My musical taste is very broad really, but I found that many hard house heads, were solely into hard house, not sure if you found that? I remember going to see Muse in about 2007 & afterwards going to a hard house night. When I got talking to people in the chill out room, they looked at me as if I was mental. Comments from "Who are Muse" to "why have you done that?!"

10 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I went to Prestatyn. 

Illogik was always my favourite Hard House DJ, he was full of techno really & was more me. I was never into it massively, but went to the odd thing around and about. Went to Tidy @ Magna a couple of times.

My mates were at the Cheggers one.

My musical taste is very broad really, but I found that many hard house heads, were solely into hard house, not sure if you found that? I remember going to see Muse in about 2007 & afterwards going to a hard house night. When I got talking to people in the chill out room, they looked at me as if I was mental. Comments from "Who are Muse" to "why have you done that?!"

Know what you mean there was a certain music snobbery to it all briefly. I’ve got mates who still listen to it now, some of them are into the engineering/production side of it and the whole scene in general. Chill out rooms! Got me remembering it all now, sundissential godskitchen and passion were our regular places. Magna was an amazing concept but the events never seemed to work there. The weekenders were amazing at the time but I was done with it by the age of 22 but have popped to the odd reuninion. The Wild West one was great, I always made an effort for the themes and was into the dancing side of it more than anything, there was something competitive about the dancing there. I remember Ilogik when he first came out, was he from Lincoln? Decent live. Rob Tissera was probably my fave. 

3 minutes ago, HeyPorter said:

Know what you mean there was a certain music snobbery to it all briefly.

The dance music scene has always been rife with muso snobbery and it's such a shame, isn't it? 

I have a very eclectic music taste, particularly in this genre and there is certain acts or areas of electronica that aren't for me but I'd never dream of throwing shade on anyone's preferences. For me dance music is about expressing yourself, it's escapology, connecting with those around you without needing to make verbal or physical contact. If it moves your body, your feet, your heart and your mind it's all good for me. The beat might be different but that feeling we all get is universal, I think it's really important that we remember that before casting judgment on someone's musical leanings. That euphoria you're experiencing when Avalon Emerson just dropped Crude Fantasia is exactly the same as DJ Hype dropping Super Sharp Shooter or DJ Dougal playing Now Is The Time for those who love it. 

12 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Hot Chip and Jon Hopkins seem to be playing a bunch of festivals together. They good mates or something? Really hoping they won't be clashing. A late night set from Jon would be ace

Early suggestions are that there might be a Hot Chip/Hopkins uberclash.

Maybe they should do a secret B2B set as "Hop Chip"?*

* I now own all subsidiary rights to this name.

• Upvote 3

I was looking for new realeases on Beatport today and came across my all time feel good track that’s been re-released this month. Anja Schneider played it at my last ever Love Parade in Berlin in 2006. The only memory I have from that day ?‍♀️

Edited by Jay89

On 3/16/2019 at 6:28 PM, HeyPorter said:

Related to my previous post (see above) has anyone here ever attended a Tidy weekender?

Yes we went to HardHouse events almost every weekend from 2002 ish for a good few years. Tidy, Synergy, SuniD’s, Grasher, anywhere Glazby played, Goodgreef, Viciuos records. Leeds and Manchester had many nights throughout the week.

We went to many Weekenders, ones you mentioned plus Rainbow (Bungle, Zippy et al)  one afternoon! Very drug oriented, looking back the crowds were quite split ‘cybers’ ‘try hards’ We didn’t really fit, young scruffs from Burnley. 

Remember two at Magna, one they kept everyone outside beforehand and it was freezing-when it finished everywhere was full of snow. Another was hot and we had a good drink before. Also saw Swedish House Mafia before they went shit there.

Friends mentiobed going to an event recently, believe the scene has picked up again? Too fast for me now I think, turned into one of those who’d listen to the ‘slow crap’ stuff in the funky rooms...

• Upvote 1

So if any of you's has heard Dorothy's Fortress - Enter Castillo  dropped and really liked it. It's be re-released under a new name: 

Throwdown at the Del Mar - Deadly Avenger

I love the whole album, it has this Drive, Blade Runner, late night in the 80s driving nowhere vibe. 

Mushroom Grip on there is also a tune I've had on repeat all week.

22 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The dance music scene has always been rife with muso snobbery and it's such a shame, isn't it?  

I hate it when people change their mind about a track/artist/label/promoter because it's become popular.  Some of my mates will bang on and on about a DJ, for example, but when said DJ achieves success and becomes well known 'they've become too mainstream'.

Oh bore off.  They are still doing the same thing that made you like them, just more people know about it now!

1 hour ago, stu_kent said:

I hate it when people change their mind about a track/artist/label/promoter because it's become popular.  Some of my mates will bang on and on about a DJ, for example, but when said DJ achieves success and becomes well known 'they've become too mainstream'.

Oh bore off.  They are still doing the same thing that made you like them, just more people know about it now!

Totally with you on this. I’m fact it’s the reverse position that I’m wary of. DJs who go from nothing almost instantly to ‘big’ are more often those without the talent. I’m looking (as always...) at you, Patrick Topping...I can’t believe just how shite he was in The Temple in 2017, compared to what came (partularly) before and (to a degree) after. Cheesy, cliched big drop rubbish for kiddies’ parties. 

Saying that, we all know artists (maybe more in the non-dance genres) who have started brilliantly, only for their ever growing success to coincide with a huge drop in quality. Apologies for snobbery, but this is, in my experience, an inevitable transition as mass success equates to creating less challenging material. Discuss (nicely..). 

Ben