Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

had a really good month or so for someone only just really getting into dance music. hunee, stephan bodzin, enrico sangiuliano and DVS1 all did fantastic live sets when i saw them. excited to finally be delving into the scene, got amelie lens lined up for easter monday and can't wait!

7 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

That's so exciting, @zeppelin

Bristol report after TONIGHT!!!

:)

Ben

6 hours ago, zero000 said:

YES BEN! I can't wait. Heading to Love Inn afterwards for a night out apparently.

Enjoy guys! Can't wait to hear what you think. I was debating the journey down but it's a bit far ?

On 1/25/2019 at 12:49 PM, Kinkyinuit said:

You mean Moderat?  I missed it that year, ended up staying on the Pyramid because I make *great* decisions.  

Is probably up there in my all time festival regrets.   Fortunately I saw Moderat earlier in the year but it wasn't the same!

Modeselektor were last in glasto in '16 and their schedule appears to have a glasto sized hole in it at the moment so there's a chance.  They'd probably end up in Silver Hayes again but I'd absolutely love it if they got a set at Arcadia

They're often about. They also played in 2015 if I remember correctly, doing that siriusmodeselektor double bill thing.

I just want to see Evil Twin on a massive stage.

14 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Anyone on this thread been to Sonar? Got my ticket today

Yes, I went last year. 

It was a bit different last year because off week and Sonar were the same time. 

Think I might go for the Sonar weekend this year and go to Sonar on the Friday and Innervisions on the Saturday 

Well...

If Jon Hopkins isn't headlining West Holts this year it will be the biggest travesty since the referendum.

Oh. My. Goodness.

I'd never been to Motion before, and as soon as I got in I was instantly struck by the need to sort out getting to a proper club night there. Only the Marble Factory room was open, but it is perfectly 'me' Nice size, - big enough but not too big - really good high-ceilinged warehouse feel, cool balcony (not that I'd ever really go up there, but I like them!) and good height to the stage so you can see what's going on. I'm pretty sure it was HAAi doing the warm up set (no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong). She was really excellent, if a slightly odd choice of style for that setting. She played some top notch and really well selected and sequenced mid-tempo electro, which was brilliant to listen to, but, for me, a little bit slow-paced to get me dancing properly. Given that Kelly Lee Owens warmed up the Brixton gigs (with HAAi before and after, I think...?) I thought HAAi might have played a set to kind of get us to fever pitch ready for JH to appear. But that said, she really was good and I'd love to see her on the Farm.

9.10pm and Mr H comes on to rapturous applause and hollering. He opens, as expected, with the titular Singularity, with the sound instantly cranked up in volume and clarity compared to HAAi's, the lovely slow arpeggios building gradually as a very simple, pulsating green graphic flashed and moved on the projection screen behind him. And then the beats kicked in! Cue a doubling in volume and one of the most fantastically crisp, clear and perfect kick drums you've ever heard! Instantly you knew that the Motion sound system was going to do him justice and so it transpired. That first kick drum drop sent us all into instant frenzy, a state from which we did not drop for the entire set. The sound was stellar, with all of his intricate little glitches and modulations being picked up beautifully above a thumping bass and drum bedrock. I love how he is always happy to vary that aspect of his work, never feeling obliged to give us that predictable 4/4 thump, using breaks and syncopated rhythms to vary the texture, both between and within tracks.

Unlike the earliest tour dates he didn't perform the whole record, then some greatest hits. He started with the first 3-4 tracks of Singularity and then moved around his repertoire a bit, dropping Open Eye Signal about half way through the main set - to predictable crowd lunacy. The encore was out of this world. First track was a really low tempo stomper that I don't know and the antithesis of my 'usual' bpm required etc. It was incredible. The closing track was one of the best set closing things I've ever seen. It seemed to go on and on and on, coming back to us every time, a series of JH taking it up...up...up...up...like a massive cheeky teasing tinker, keeping us hanging, almost begging for the drop,. but enjoying the journeys there. That he studied in his youth at the Royal College of Music is bloody evident when you look at the way he composes, and understands how to create tension etc. His build-ups to drops are never cheesy, never predictable and cliched. His decisions as to when to introduce elements, drop beats etc always keep you guessing - and that creates another layer of interaction with the audience, compared to the shite, ever-accelerating snare runs to the inevitable and identified drop (after that enigmatic pause, of course) of so many, pretty untalented DJs - I'm looking at YOU, Patrick Topping!!!

Any negatives? Well, only a couple of minor things.

1. Short!!! Main set was about 50 minutes (that passed sooooo quickly!)

2. It was a bit cramped. We were about half way back (dead centre natch, as God intended ;) ) and really I do like more room to move.

3. There were a few people who were hammered and so just stood there in that near-catatonic state not moving - again quite tricky if you're next to them and trying to dance.

It was a bit weird to finish at 10.30pm and have your night over - that's when I typically leave the house to go out, if I'm dancing! And I had accepted that Bristol had failed to offer me any decent afters last night. But, you know what? In a way it was 'right', as I'm not sure how great any event would have been after that. I drove home with audio and visual flashbacks constantly running though my head, and continue to have them this morning.

It was great finally to meet @zero000, who is lovely, and reassuringly unlike the young Billy Corgan of his avatar!

So, as said, I am committed to TeamHopkinsForWestHolts now. If anyone saw Justice in 2017, JH on that stage would be like that. x10.

Ben

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

28 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Well...

If Jon Hopkins isn't headlining West Holts this year it will be the biggest travesty since the referendum.

Oh. My. Goodness.

I'd never been to Motion before, and as soon as I got in I was instantly struck by the need to sort out getting to a proper club night there. Only the Marble Factory room was open, but it is perfectly 'me' Nice size, - big enough but not too big - really good high-ceilinged warehouse feel, cool balcony (not that I'd ever really go up there, but I like them!) and good height to the stage so you can see what's going on. I'm pretty sure it was HAAi doing the warm up set (no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong). She was really excellent, if a slightly odd choice of style for that setting. She played some top notch and really well selected and sequenced mid-tempo electro, which was brilliant to listen to, but, for me, a little bit slow-paced to get me dancing properly. Given that Kelly Lee Owens warmed up the Brixton gigs (with HAAi before and after, I think...?) I thought HAAi might have played a set to kind of get us to fever pitch ready for JH to appear. But that said, she really was good and I'd love to see her on the Farm.

9.10pm and Mr H comes on to rapturous applause and hollering. He opens, as expected, with the titular Singularity, with the sound instantly cranked up in volume and clarity compared to HAAi's, the lovely slow arpeggios building gradually as a very simple, pulsating green graphic flashed and moved on the projection screen behind him. And then the beats kicked in! Cue a doubling in volume and one of the most fantastically crisp, clear and perfect kick drums you've ever heard! Instantly you knew that the Motion sound system was going to do him justice and so it transpired. That first kick drum drop sent us all into instant frenzy, a state from which we did not drop for the entire set. The sound was stellar, with all of his intricate little glitches and modulations being picked up beautifully above a thumping bass and drum bedrock. I love how he is always happy to vary that aspect of his work, never feeling obliged to give us that predictable 4/4 thump, using breaks and syncopated rhythms to vary the texture, both between and within tracks.

Unlike the earliest tour dates he didn't perform the whole record, then some greatest hits. He started with the first 3-4 tracks of Singularity and then moved around his repertoire a bit, dropping Open Eye Signal about half way through the main set - to predictable crowd lunacy. The encore was out of this world. First track was a really low tempo stomper that I don't know and the antithesis of my 'usual' bpm required etc. It was incredible. The closing track was one of the best set closing things I've ever seen. It seemed to go on and on and on, coming back to us every time, a series of JH taking it up...up...up...up...like a massive cheeky teasing tinker, keeping us hanging, almost begging for the drop,. but enjoying the journeys there. That he studied in his youth at the Royal College of Music is bloody evident when you look at the way he composes, and understands how to create tension etc. His build-ups to drops are never cheesy, never predictable and cliched. His decisions as to when to introduce elements, drop beats etc always keep you guessing - and that creates another layer of interaction with the audience, compared to the shite, ever-accelerating snare runs to the inevitable and identified drop (after that enigmatic pause, of course) of so many, pretty untalented DJs - I'm looking at YOU, Patrick Topping!!!

2. It was a bit cramped. We were about half way back (dead centre natch, as God intended ;) ) and really I do like more room to move.

3. There were a few people who were hammered and so just stood there in that near-catatonic state not moving - again quite tricky if you're next to them and trying to dance.

It was a bit weird to finish at 10.30pm and have your night over - that's when I typically leave the house to go out, if I'm dancing! And I had accepted that Bristol had failed to offer me any decent afters last night. But, you know what? In a way it was 'right', as I'm not sure how great any event would have been after that. I drove home with audio and visual flashbacks constantly running though my head, and continue to have them this morning.

It was great finally to meet @zero000, who is lovely, and reassuringly unlike the young Billy Corgan of his avatar!

So, as said, I am committed to TeamHopkinsForWestHolts now. If anyone saw Justice in 2017, JH on that stage would be like that. x10.

Ben

Great little write up Ben, glad you had a great time! Similar to what @Mattymoozhas said above I'm a tad concerned I'm committing myself to three nights of electronic this year, but believe me I don't care!

I'll be interested to see the sound volune/clarity in a field as I felt that was a big factor in Leeds. 

5 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Great little write up Ben, glad you had a great time! Similar to what @Mattymoozhas said above I'm a tad concerned I'm committing myself to three nights of electronic this year, but believe me I don't care!

I'll be interested to see the sound volune/clarity in a field as I felt that was a big factor in Leeds. 

West Holts shouldn't have any issues - the James Blake headline set was crystal clear, and deep bass was gut-wibblingly wobbly. 

(Great write up @bennyhana22

Edit - added my pic from last night. 

IMG_20190302_211835.jpg

Edited by Titters
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Titters said:

West Holts shouldn't have any issues - the James Blake headline set was crystal clear, and deep bass was gut-wibblingly wobbly. 

(Great write up @bennyhana22

Edit - added my pic from last night. 

IMG_20190302_211835.jpg

You need to be in front of the mixing desk or forget it. Sublime sound in front, so bad more than a few feet behind that you might as well see someone else.

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Well...

Oh. My. Goodness.

Ben

Glad you enjoyed Motion! And brilliant review. I feel like I've learnt more in that club over the years than I ever did at school, college or Uni. 

1 hour ago, zeppelin said:

Oh yeah good point, don't know why I didn't think about that. Hell of a set! 

Can only reiterate the sentiment of love for the sound at James Blake. The clarity and purity on a stage of that size was phenomenal.

Hence - bring on JH!

:)

Ben

39 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You need to be in front of the mixing desk or forget it. Sublime sound in front, so bad more than a few feet behind that you might as well see someone else.

People stand behind sound desks?

?

Ben

Been listening to a lot of Roosevelt and Satin Jackets recently. Absolutely love the German synthpop sound. Satin Jackets has a new album out in April and  Roosevelt is touring through the summer. Both would be amazing on the Glade.

Oh and Alphabeat are back ??

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I'm pretty sure it was HAAi doing the warm up set (no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong). 

This got me thinking, very unusual for her to play this kind of vibe, and her Instagram story says she was in Dundee all day and played a gig there at night. Doppelgänger perhaps? :)

1 hour ago, Jay89 said:

This got me thinking, very unusual for her to play this kind of vibe, and her Instagram story says she was in Dundee all day and played a gig there at night. Doppelgänger perhaps? :)

I’m not gonna lie to you - we weren’t sure! But we googled a really recent picture of her and convinced ourselves!

I think you have established that we were wrong...so now I need to know who our DJ was!!!

Ben

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

Been listening to a lot of Roosevelt and Satin Jackets recently. Absolutely love the German synthpop sound. Satin Jackets has a new album out in April and  Roosevelt is touring through the summer. Both would be amazing on the Glade.

Oh and Alphabeat are back ??

Alphabeat??? Ahhh man, that's be great to see them again!