Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

17 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Well...

Trap Door in Birmingham is a great little venue. It's a converted space under the railway arches in what was an old industrial part of the city and they've done a good job for a small, intimate venue. Dancefloor is laid wood and so a really nice surface to be on. Sound system was outstanding. Truly brilliant clarity and separation - you could pick out every little inflection and sound, creating one of the most immersive audio experiences I've had. The only 'issue' was that the place, as small as it is, was just a little undefiled - perhaps a (slightly sad) reflection of the lower profile of the DJs playing.

However, Arnaud Le Texier played one of the finest 90 minute sets I've ever heard. His selection and track sequencing was a masterclass, changing the mood and light and shade with skill to create a phenomenal journey. I just wish he'd had slightly more people to appreciate it.

Having enjoyed that as a single entity, it has reinforced my previous conviction that my favourite sets are 90-120 minutes long. That fits with my personality (and chosen area of work), as i need my attention continuously refreshed.

An absolutely blinding night. So good, in fact, that I'm considering not going out to a booked night in April, but 'saving' myself for the anticipation of 3-4 big nights at Glastonbury. Looking forward even more so now to the area drops...

Ben

Ben, you need to work for DJ or Mixmag...

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:57 PM, dccool said:

Got no doubt of that. Very few say anything negative about boom and as the line up is so good that's it I'm going. 

Boom is a different festival to Boomtown mate.

One is in Portugal and the other is in Winchester!

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:44 PM, bennyhana22 said:

I'm guessing you didn't spend much time at Tribe of Frog, joe?

Best outdoor dance system I think I've ever heard. And it was LOUD!

Agree though that the volume on some of the stages was poor - Pagoda Plaza was pants, sound-wise...

Ben

I found Pagoda Plaza was hit and miss.  For Simian Mobile Disco is was pretty good but other times it was a bit quiet.  I think they cranked it up a bit after the main stages had closed.

Sound was pretty good in the forest for techno Sunday last year too.

1 hour ago, stu_kent said:

I found Pagoda Plaza was hit and miss.  For Simian Mobile Disco is was pretty good but other times it was a bit quiet.  I think they cranked it up a bit after the main stages had closed.

Sound was pretty good in the forest for techno Sunday last year too.

Interesting you say that, stu - I was waiting and waiting for SMD (saw them - well one of them - do an absolutely amazing dark techno set at Latitude in 2017, so I was committed...) and was so underwhelmed with the sound and atmosphere at PP (was I watching Dusky...?) that I sacked them off and went to ToF for my second trance night in a row...and had another brilliant night!

PsyForest Techno Sunday was excellent, but needed to be louder. Charlotte felt a little underpowered, Enrico was phenomenal.

Ben

54 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Interesting you say that, stu - I was waiting and waiting for SMD (saw them - well one of them - do an absolutely amazing dark techno set at Latitude in 2017, so I was committed...) and was so underwhelmed with the sound and atmosphere at PP (was I watching Dusky...?) that I sacked them off and went to ToF for my second trance night in a row...and had another brilliant night! 

PsyForest Techno Sunday was excellent, but needed to be louder. Charlotte felt a little underpowered, Enrico was phenomenal.

Ben

The sound level noticeably increased a certain way into the set, just after a couple of my mates walked off because of it!

2 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

Hi gals n guys...

Can anyone please recommend any amazing SoundCloud mixes I can get my chops round? Doing loads of driving at the moment and listening to some decent breaks/ techno or trance really breaks the journey up!

Yours

The Red Telephone

Avalon Emerson Essential Mix was class a bit back. 

• Upvote 1

Good eve! I'm going to be on the search for some very tough/hard techno/house on the farm come June. Would you fine gentlemen/women point me in the right direction please? Is it a case of just frequenting Block9 and seeing what takes my fancy, or from your experience are there other specific stages/areas which are dedicated to the tougher side of edm?

Thanks people :)

Edited by Stokesy10

1 hour ago, djdavejohnson said:

Giving this classic set a listen to tonight - played this on loop when I was at uni. The Erol Alkan set live at Global Gathering 2007, 59:22 onwards. If you haven't listened to it (or even if you have) - treat yourself! This one's on me :D

Saving this for work tomorrow thanks for the link ?

1 hour ago, Stokesy10 said:

Good eve! I'm going to be on the search for some very tough/hard techno/house on the farm come June. Would you fine gentlemen/women point me in the right direction please? Is it a case of just frequenting Block9 and seeing what takes my fancy, or from your experience are there other specific stages/areas which are dedicated to the tougher side of edm?

Not always. Arcadia had virtually a drumcode takeover in 2016 I think.

The line up will pop up with a few gems!

10 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

Hi Stokesy 

As @FuzzyDunlop said, things pop up in different places. Seth T and Kölsch (yes, Kölsch!) played really solid techno sets at The Blues in Silver Hayes a couple of years ago. Block9 is still likely to be the most likely place for what you’re describing, and with an expanded SEC this year, we techies are hoping for a brilliant line-up. 

And, you can try to hide it in lower case, but there is NO ‘tougher side of edm’  EDM is music for children’s parties ?

Ben

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hi Stokesy 

As @FuzzyDunlop said, things pop up in different places. Seth T and Kölsch (yes, Kölsch!) played really solid techno sets at The Blues in Silver Hayes a couple of years ago. Block9 is still likely to be the most likely place for what you’re describing, and with an expanded SEC this year, we techies are hoping for a brilliant line-up. 

And, you can try to hide it in lower case, but there is NO ‘tougher side of edm’  EDM is music for children’s parties ?

Ben

Haha! Thanks Ben, looking forward to the line up drop so I can investigate more!

EDM is indeed for children's parties. I'm more into hard house than anything (Glazby, Andy Farley) but not much chance of that showing up on the farm! Love really tough techno so my brother (GF virgin and lover of extremely solid tuneage) will be in our elements!

Thanks again!

@Stokesy10 there won't be much hard techno at all unfortunately. get the odd name here and there but it's generally all run-of-the-mill softer stuff.  Sunil Sharpe played The Cave a few years ago, Dax J in the Temple, so there's usually the odd thing in The Common in addition to Block9, usually the smaller names. would hope for some Paula Temple, Stanislav Tolkachev, Prurient/Vatican Shadow, Tommy Four Seven, Rodhad, SNTS, Dax J, Blawan/Karenn etc

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

@Stokesy10 there won't be much hard techno at all unfortunately. get the odd name here and there but it's generally all run-of-the-mill softer stuff.  Sunil Sharpe played The Cave a few years ago, Dax J in the Temple, so there's usually the odd thing in The Common in addition to Block9, usually the smaller names. would hope for some Paula Temple, Stanislav Tolkachev, Prurient/Vatican Shadow, Tommy Four Seven, Rodhad, SNTS, Dax J, Blawan/Karenn etc

Day splits willing (not there for the Friday) I'll be seeing Paula Temple for the first time at Dimensions, and am very excited about that. Your Charlottes and Amelies get all the attention, but yer Paula is the business.

Ben

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

We already marvel at your energy, now you're adding flexibility into the mix?

Good lord no!

We fly into Croatia on the Saturday morning of Dimensions, so the kiddiewinks (5 of them - 3 of mine plus GF/BF) are going to the Saturday and Sunday. So, if Paula is playing on the Friday, I'm screwed, is all!

:)

Ben

On 2/10/2019 at 11:18 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

For those into this kind of thing....

Thanks for posting @FuzzyDunlop, had this on repeat since Monday. Right up my Strasse, this.

Jacked to see her at Junction 2 and Boomtown. I think she's free on the Friday of Glastonbury atm. Fingers crossed...

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

6 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Thanks for posting @FuzzyDunlop, had this on repeat since Monday. Right up my Strasse, this.

Jacked to see her at Junction 2 and Boomtown. I think she's free on the Friday of Glastonbury atm. Fingers crossed...

No worries. Saw her at Junction 2 warm up & in liverpool over the last 2 months. She was class both times.