Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

43 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

What's issues does Junction 2 have? Never been before but I'm going this year

Junction 2 was top top class when I went in 2016, been begging my mates to go back ever since. Brentford is a bit out of the way. I was going via Kings cross so had 10-15 stops on the tube, easily handled with a bag of cans but the last few stops where I was gasping for a piss were a bit of a struggle. 

Crowd wise, much better than Parklife, everyone knew the acts they were there to see and seemed to be there for the right reasons, rather than the huge groups of students looking to get munted with their mates which Parklife seems to attract. Still a few wrong 'uns in the crowd mind, the steroid heavy Beefa Lads, but to be expected at any big dance event tbh. Don't want to stereotype but they seemed to gravitate towards the drumcode stage under the bridge, crowd for Dixon's closing set on the second stage therefore allowed for easily the best dance I had that year. 

Production across the whole site was very impressive, sound systems excellent, lighting rigs very well done, food and drink options decent (albeit somewhat pricey) and minimal queues across the site. Think it might'e been a drinks token set up but was very well managed. 

This has turned into a bit of a review of the whole festival rather than pointing out the flaws, in keeping with the theme of the review, I would give it a 9/10, I'm sure you'll have a wicked time.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, HS94 said:

Junction 2 was top top class when I went in 2016, been begging my mates to go back ever since. Brentford is a bit out of the way. I was going via Kings cross so had 10-15 stops on the tube, easily handled with a bag of cans but the last few stops where I was gasping for a piss were a bit of a struggle. 

Crowd wise, much better than Parklife, everyone knew the acts they were there to see and seemed to be there for the right reasons, rather than the huge groups of students looking to get munted with their mates which Parklife seems to attract. Still a few wrong 'uns in the crowd mind, the steroid heavy Beefa Lads, but to be expected at any big dance event tbh. Don't want to stereotype but they seemed to gravitate towards the drumcode stage under the bridge, crowd for Dixon's closing set on the second stage therefore allowed for easily the best dance I had that year. 

Production across the whole site was very impressive, sound systems excellent, lighting rigs very well done, food and drink options decent (albeit somewhat pricey) and minimal queues across the site. Think it might'e been a drinks token set up but was very well managed. 

This has turned into a bit of a review of the whole festival rather than pointing out the flaws, in keeping with the theme of the review, I would give it a 9/10, I'm sure you'll have a wicked time.

I've just had a proper look at the stages on the website, I have to admit I didn't actually know there were so many! Literally assumed it was the main bridge/motorway stage and then another tiny one, but it looks bloody massive.

Buzzing now.

11 minutes ago, Zacko said:

I've just had a proper look at the stages on the website, I have to admit I didn't actually know there were so many! Literally assumed it was the main bridge/motorway stage and then another tiny one, but it looks bloody massive.

Buzzing now.

There were 3 in 2016, the bridge one, a fairly open tent and an LWE branded warehouse style indoor jobby. I think they've added a fair few since then. Wish I was going this year but got a few APE nights booked and a lot of my mates who would otherwise be interested are either otherwise engaged/too skint to commit. 

8 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Sad thing is, I think Glastonbury's electronic lineup won't get anywhere near Parklife's (for my taste). I know that's not necessarily the point at the Big G but still...

Seems like what left for Glastonbury is house & bass along the lines of Hannah Wants, Defected folks and radio1 allies like Mella Dee, Denis Sulta etc.

It’ll definitely be my first festival when I see more bands than dj’s, but oh well, can’t have it perfect every time  can ya! ?‍♀️

5 hours ago, Jay89 said:

Seems like what left for Glastonbury is house & bass along the lines of Hannah Wants, Defected folks and radio1 allies like Mella Dee, Denis Sulta etc.

It’ll definitely be my first festival when I see more bands than dj’s, but oh well, can’t have it perfect every time  can ya! ?‍♀️

There will be stuff like that on Arcadia one night and in Silver Hayes a couple of times, these tents/areas always packed out when the likes of Jamie Jones, Skream etc are playing, so there's definitely a place for them 

Just thinking to the last time off the top of my head stuff that wasn't at all like that, you have Young Marco, Hunee, Dj Tennis, Jennifer Cardini and Fort Romeau, Shed, Steffi, Job Jobse, Henrik Schwarz, all of Hessle 

So you're not steaming into some kind of spicy wasteland 

12 hours ago, Zacko said:

Buzzing now.

Literally saw that on the website and it completely sold me on going Friday. 

5 hours ago, Jay89 said:

There'll be the odd gem in there but you've pretty much nailed it. Hope you like jump-up drum and bass... ?

However, and it's a big however, the experience as a whole far outweighs the "names" behind the decks.

6 hours ago, Jay89 said:

No no NO!

As people on here will attest, I'm somewhat narrow in terms of what dance music really does it for me - essentially good techno, some electro and I love really good psytrance, but you really don't get much of the that at all at Glastonbury. However, do not assume that just because big names are playing at Awakenings and elsewhere you will only find jump up, make-some-fucking-noooooooooise d'n'b etc. I have not yet failed to be entirely perfectly catered for dancing until 5 or 6am at Glastonbury.

Yes, you might need to do some homework in the line-up, but it's just not about the 'names', is it? It's about who plays the good stuff. Shed is often at G and he is incredible, but most 'normal' clubbers would never have heard of him...etc.

Have faith. We will dance. It will be incredible.

Ben 

1 hour ago, Mezhyp1 said:

There will be stuff like that on Arcadia one night and in Silver Hayes a couple of times, these tents/areas always packed out when the likes of Jamie Jones, Skream etc are playing, so there's definitely a place for them 

Just thinking to the last time off the top of my head stuff that wasn't at all like that, you have Young Marco, Hunee, Dj Tennis, Jennifer Cardini and Fort Romeau, Shed, Steffi, Job Jobse, Henrik Schwarz, all of Hessle 

So you're not steaming into some kind of spicy wasteland 

And Jonny-Bloody-Hopkins on the Spider, Mez!!

:)

Ben

4 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Dam. Good line up. Shame Croatia is ropey as fuck or I’d have considered going.

We've got a family holiday in Pula for a week, landing on the Saturday morning of Dimensions and hitting up the Sat and Sun nights there, so hoping that the day splits are kind to me (I'm looking at you DVS1...). I'll be taking 5 kids of 18-23 with me, with lovely Mrs B getting some peace and quiet!

Ben

All my mates who’ve been Dimensions, Love International and the other one I can’t even remember the name of have told me they got shaken down by security and police. Doesn’t make for a good time knowing that potentially could happen so I’ve never been.  Line ups are always sick though. 

4 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

There'll be the odd gem in there but you've pretty much nailed it. Hope you like jump-up drum and bass... ?

Hahaha I do in small doses, I always tend to go to some good d’n’b night once or twice a year to get absolutely spangled and rave like I’m 16 again ?‍♀️?

4 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Yes, you might need to do some homework in the line-up, but it's just not about the 'names', is it? It's about who plays the good stuff. Shed is often at G and he is incredible, but most 'normal' clubbers would never have heard of him...

Yeah, that’s very true, I got too comfortable with stuff that I know and too busy for finding new exciting dj’s/producers. But I’m all for research indeed!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

All my mates who’ve been Dimensions, Love International and the other one I can’t even remember the name of have told me they got shaken down by security and police. Doesn’t make for a good time knowing that potentially could happen so I’ve never been.  Line ups are always sick though. 

I've had a bit of info from some people who have said that the Police there can be pretty full on. Get caught with stuff and they'll effectively detain you until you give them 300 Euros etc. Apparently if you're sensible and get deeper into the festival, you're pretty much OK. I'm guessing any ladz ladz ladz acting in a stereotypical Brits on tour manner are like lambs to the slaughter. So long as you keep your nose clean, the atmosphere is supposed to be pretty great...

Ben

9 hours ago, KVShinedown said:

I went to Dimensions last year, amazing atmosphere and didn't see or hear about any trouble with police. I don't doubt that Croatian police  can be heavy handed, but I reckon as long as you use the same caution you would use at any festival and you're not blatant/stupid you'll be fine. 

Agreed, did Outlook in 2013 and had pretty much an identical experience. Great fun - Would love to do Dimensions one day. 

On 1/23/2019 at 1:58 PM, bennyhana22 said:

Except that we know that the Spider won't be there at Glastonbury, and that they are bringing an entirely new installation (YAY!). So, unless one has never seen an Arcadia thing before, I don't think that event will give any indications for The Farm...

Ben

They don't just have the Spider at their own show so I'd have though some elements will be re-used for Glastonbury even if the main attraction isn't. 

Edited by EZYSEY

On 2/1/2019 at 11:12 AM, EZYSEY said:

They don't just have the Spider at their own show so I'd have though some elements will be re-used for Glastonbury even if the main attraction isn't. 

They said the other day (somewhere) that the new thing for Glastonbury isn't anything they've done before - Spider, Reactor etc - and is entirely new for the festival.

On 1/31/2019 at 10:52 PM, KVShinedown said:

I went to Dimensions last year, amazing atmosphere and didn't see or hear about any trouble with police. I don't doubt that Croatian police  can be heavy handed, but I reckon as long as you use the same caution you would use at any festival and you're not blatant/stupid you'll be fine. 

My wife did the first Hideout and my mates have some the most recent years- none of them had any bother with the security/police.

my best mate got nicked at Exit with a joint of weed, he was arrested taken back to our hotel where 20+ were staying, room turned over (didn’t be look hard enough) An day taken to court where he got a relatively big fine...back in the festival the he next day though ?