Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

5 minutes ago, Zacko said:

So, Vietnam for three weeks over January was a right lovely time.

Has anyone been to Savage in Hanoi before?

We arrived late on a Sunday night and wondered what we'd done, as we were greeted with a fairly standard room playing average house.

We spent about an hour there, and went to leave to go back to the hostel when we saw one of our pals. He calls us silly twats and makes us follow him down a dark smokey corridor...Bit weird, bit shit. Fair enough.

We then emerge onto this absolutely incredible terrace area FILLED with smoke, and a balloon bar - and I swear to god some of the best music I've ever heard.

I still don't know if we were outside or inside due to the smoke and the darkness, but fuck me, the tunes. An unbelievable mix of early acid house, techno, and some groovers. Everyone on a perfect vibe, and illuminated for a few seconds by the strobes before the smoke claimed them again. 

It was one of those seminal moments you only get at a rave when the music and the crowd is just right. Unreal.

In other news, I've just got a Junction 2 ticket for the Saturday. Bosh.

That sounds unbelievable, Zacko. Yes, just love it when all the planets align and you get that perfect combination.

Ben

9 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Thanks, SC. You’re very kind, as some (e.g. my family!) might think I’m excruciatingly boring about all of this. 

I’ve been thinking a bit more about why bpm (not the number as such, but the right tempo) is so important to my experience. Without getting all spiritual crap about it (though the techno dance floor IS my ‘spiritual’ place...), it seems that the 125-129 bpm tempo is ‘the one’ that feels the most natural. The back and forth hypnotic pulse of the beat resonates perfectly inside me, giving me, as I’ve said, a unique sensation that the SAME music at a different tempo just doesn’t quite match. It’s a bit weird, to be honest...!

What are your favoured areas of dance music? What artists/settings/events do it for you the most?

Ben

Never let anyone tell you that something that resonates so much with you is boring.

My journey through dance music is long and full of bandwaggoning. From the moment a friend lent me a tape of The Producer at Universe In 2 Orbit in 1992 I was hooked. Those dutch/belgian hardcore breaks mixed with the early 90s tunes from the UK opened up a whole new world to me and before I knew it I was attending raves like Fantazia, Obsession, Dance Planet, etc in between taking my GCSEs. Unlike most of my friends I've never leaned towards one genre, in 1994 I was still listening to everything from techno to acid house to jungle and handbag house while they were purely fixated on the latter. I loved the Balearic house explosion of the mid-90s and the shortlived trance era of the late 90s but never really got into the UK garage sound. I'm basically an electronica whore and if I love it, chances are I'll love it for life and intermittently I'll go back to them. I'm just as happy chucking on the classic Sasha at Universe Pleasure Planet tape from 92 as I am DJ Pilgrim at Fantazia Showcase in 93, Andy C at Brixton Academy in 99 or Gesaffelstein from Bestival in 12 (someone kindly uploaded it here a couple of weeks ago) just as I am equally at home in a dingy, smoke-filled, poorly-lit club, a sun-drenched terrace in Ibiza, in a field underneath a giant mechanical spider or at a street party with a huge sound system. As long as the beats are banging, the melodies are clear and the atmosphere is a happy one, I'm set.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Never let anyone tell you that something that resonates so much with you is boring.

My journey through dance music is long and full of bandwaggoning. From the moment a friend lent me a tape of The Producer at Universe In 2 Orbit in 1992 I was hooked. Those dutch/belgian hardcore breaks mixed with the early 90s tunes from the UK opened up a whole new world to me and before I knew it I was attending raves like Fantazia, Obsession, Dance Planet, etc in between taking my GCSEs. Unlike most of my friends I've never leaned towards one genre, in 1994 I was still listening to everything from techno to acid house to jungle and handbag house while they were purely fixated on the latter. I loved the Balearic house explosion of the mid-90s and the shortlived trance era of the late 90s but never really got into the UK garage sound. I'm basically an electronica whore and if I love it, chances are I'll love it for life and intermittently I'll go back to them. I'm just as happy chucking on the classic Sasha at Universe Pleasure Planet tape from 92 as I am DJ Pilgrim at Fantazia Showcase in 93, Andy C at Brixton Academy in 99 or Gesaffelstein from Bestival in 12 (someone kindly uploaded it here a couple of weeks ago) just as I am equally at home in a dingy, smoke-filled, poorly-lit club, a sun-drenched terrace in Ibiza, in a field underneath a giant mechanical spider or at a street party with a huge sound system. As long as the beats are banging, the melodies are clear and the atmosphere is a happy one, I'm set.

That Gesaffelstein set was otherwordly, I only remember parts of it but there's a photo of me on someones (no idea who) shoulders and I am by all accounts, loving life. 

Had no idea it was recorded, this could be a game changer!

35 minutes ago, Zacko said:

That Gesaffelstein set was otherwordly, I only remember parts of it but there's a photo of me on someones (no idea who) shoulders and I am by all accounts, loving life. 

Had no idea it was recorded, this could be a game changer!

Scroll back through this thread by a couple of weeks and you'll find it. I think it was on Soundcloud. And yes, it banged.

Never seen one man smoke so many cigarettes in 60 minutes though.

@Supernintendo Chalmers

Lovely post. It’s great to read stuff from people who are affected in a similar way to oneself. I only (genuinely) wish that I could get as excited as you about so many different genres. Not that I can only enjoy techno. I love good electro (had a great time with Radioactive Man in Bez’s acid House a couple of years ago), acid house and breaks, but I am a techno disciple. And I really like good dnb (too much of it is a bit rubbish for me, I’m afraid), but am singularly unable to dance to it!

Out of upvotes, as said, so I’ll have to owe you one...

Ben

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I love this. Bouncy, trippy techno. I will be playing it in a few weeks, the next time I play to a crowd.

As an aside @bennyhana22 - this was the last tune played at Boomtown by Enrico Sanguiliano before the police turned it off. The last tune I heard at Boomtown 2018 (probably you too)

This is great, really nice. 

Didn't Giorgio Moroder talk about 120 bpm being some sort of special tempo? Be interesting to see him at the farm :D

17 hours ago, zero000 said:

You've both convinced me. Full report tomorrow guys!

I’ve seen her last year, she mostly played her label’s mates tunes which was good change from ‘I’ve heard it million times before’ set. And the energy she gives out was incredible!

21 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I have a question, hopefully one of you can help. Does anyone know of any DJs or acts that tend to play techno around the 100bpm mark? 

Absolute classic that is Hobo - Not Even Looking. You can also check out Matador, Silver Servant and Claro Intelecto. My mates are massively into this kind of industrial vibes, so now and again they send me some good stuff.

• Upvote 1

Its true what Benny (I think) said--Glastonbury won't match Awakenings in terms of names, but the vibe will be incredible. I know full well that my knowledge of techno is not as broad as the Block 9 organisers, and as they continue to deliver year-on-year I have full confidence that there will be techno (or 'techno,' if you like) and it will be banging. That goes for so many areas of Glastonbury, too. Even if the techno was to be lacking on one night, Glastonbury continues to bring in the best of drum and bass, dubstep and every other form of dance music.

Isn't it ridiculous how much joy you feel just thinking about a festival that is six months away?

3 hours ago, OffshoreToon said:

Its true what Benny (I think) said--Glastonbury won't match Awakenings in terms of names, but the vibe will be incredible. I know full well that my knowledge of techno is not as broad as the Block 9 organisers, and as they continue to deliver year-on-year I have full confidence that there will be techno (or 'techno,' if you like) and it will be banging. That goes for so many areas of Glastonbury, too. Even if the techno was to be lacking on one night, Glastonbury continues to bring in the best of drum and bass, dubstep and every other form of dance music.

Isn't it ridiculous how much joy you feel just thinking about a festival that is six months away?

I don't even have a ticket but I'm full of joy thinking about it! 

Determined to get one in the resale which will make it that much better. I'm convinced that the Thursday night at Glasto is the best place in the world.

The review is in. Amelie Lens blew the doors off the bank vault last night in Cardiff. Relentless, shifting techno. There wasn't a moment in two hours where I felt bored. The venue helped. A 500 capacity bank vault. I've never been so sweaty but the atmosphere was top notch. Think this video says it all:

• Upvote 3

On 1/25/2019 at 5:37 PM, Zacko said:

I can’t wait for winter to go just so it’s Junction 2 time again.  Techno under that bridge is one of the finer things in life, IMO! 

14 hours ago, zero000 said:

The review is in. Amelie Lens blew the doors off the bank vault last night in Cardiff. Relentless, shifting techno. There wasn't a moment in two hours where I felt bored. The venue helped. A 500 capacity bank vault. I've never been so sweaty but the atmosphere was top notch. Think this video says it all:

Few of my mates went to this, looked absolutely banging.

11 hours ago, stu_kent said:

I can’t wait for winter to go just so it’s Junction 2 time again.  Techno under that bridge is one of the finer things in life, IMO! 

It's my first time, very excited! 

The Friday lineup is superb and we'd usually jump straight on it, but the Saturday lineup looks far more suited to smashing you to bits under a bridge haha

10 hours ago, Zacko said:

It's my first time, very excited! 

The Friday lineup is superb and we'd usually jump straight on it, but the Saturday lineup looks far more suited to smashing you to bits under a bridge haha

It’s usually only Saturday and purely techno. Was only gonna go to the Saturday this year too because of other things but have to do Friday now too for Villalobos and Bicep! 

You’re in for a treat buddy. 

22 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Good chance of four tet turning up?

Probably quite a good chance, he has been announced for a few festivals this summer (Sonar, Coachella etc) and absolutely loves Glastonbury, but I do remember him saying on a radio show once that he tries to not do too many festivals because it drains his energy for the summer or something like that.

10 hours ago, HS94 said:

Probably quite a good chance, he has been announced for a few festivals this summer (Sonar, Coachella etc) and absolutely loves Glastonbury, but I do remember him saying on a radio show once that he tries to not do too many festivals because it drains his energy for the summer or something like that.

We don't deserve Four Tet.

Still can't believe I saw his Live Set at Brixton Academy for £8. He elevated the floor of the room so that people were on the stage dancing.

Definitely would make an effort to see him if he's on the farm.

On 1/25/2019 at 5:37 PM, Zacko said:

So, Vietnam for three weeks over January was a right lovely time.

Has anyone been to Savage in Hanoi before?

We arrived late on a Sunday night and wondered what we'd done, as we were greeted with a fairly standard room playing average house.

We spent about an hour there, and went to leave to go back to the hostel when we saw one of our pals. He calls us silly twats and makes us follow him down a dark smokey corridor...Bit weird, bit shit. Fair enough.

We then emerge onto this absolutely incredible terrace area FILLED with smoke, and a balloon bar - and I swear to god some of the best music I've ever heard.

I still don't know if we were outside or inside due to the smoke and the darkness, but fuck me, the tunes. An unbelievable mix of early acid house, techno, and some groovers. Everyone on a perfect vibe, and illuminated for a few seconds by the strobes before the smoke claimed them again. 

It was one of those seminal moments you only get at a rave when the music and the crowd is just right. Unreal.

Did you make it to Phu Quoc for the Epizode festival? Looking at the reviews and its very tempting to get there for NYE