Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

31 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

A random question.

Tale of us seem to be making a lot of noise... I dont really get it.

All a bit mellow for me.

What am I missing?

They're overrated. But they are involved in the odd good tune. Them/Afterlife is wildly popular 

56 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

A random question.

All a bit mellow for me.

What am I missing?

I’ve got the same feeling about Saoirse. She’s everywhere at the moment, but I find the music she plays very boring. Just don’t get it.

Edited by Jay89

1 hour ago, Jay89 said:

I’m absolutely pissed off with Awakenings line up. Probably around 90% of acts (that I know of) that I was hoping to see on my first ever Glastonbury. It’s actually making me sick, no joke.

Fear not, there will be plenty of techno! 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jay89 said:

I’m absolutely pissed off with Awakenings line up. Probably around 90% of acts (that I know of) that I was hoping to see on my first ever Glastonbury. It’s actually making me sick, no joke.

What are the chances some of them will make an appearance at Glastonbury? Next to none I guess?

I know what you mean, Jay, and I feel that way every year when the Awakening line-ups drop. But, as great as so many of those DJs are, for me quite a number of them are a bit more about the ‘name’ they’ve become, rather than the real soul of the sets they play. What I am trying (poorly) to say, is for you not to worry. As some of the other guys have said, there’ll be loads of good stuff there, and it’s often doing some research on the lesser known names that uncovers some artists who never attract the sort of publicity as the ‘names’, but who really care about their craft. It’s THOSE sets that will blow your mind at Glastonbury...

:)

Ben

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

A random question.

All a bit mellow for me.

What am I missing?

There's a lot of acts around now that play this sort of melodic house that's ever so slightly progressive and trancey. It's pleasant and well produced but It never really gets going or deep enough. Anjunadeep label and awakenings etc. 

Feels like the first 30 mins of a Sasha set circa 2003 on repeat with no journey. 

That said, it seems to attract a friendly crowd and after years of Patrick fucking Toppingesque shit it's welcome.

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

I know what you mean, Jay, and I feel that way every year when the Awakening line-ups drop. But, as great as so many of those DJs are, for me quite a number of them are a bit more about the ‘name’ they’ve become, rather than the real soul of the sets they play. What I am trying (poorly) to say, is for you not to worry. As some of the other guys have said, there’ll be loads of good stuff there, and it’s often doing some research on the lesser known names that uncovers some artists who never attract the sort of publicity as the ‘names’, but who really care about their craft. It’s THOSE sets that will blow your mind at Glastonbury...

Ben

Thanks Ben and everyone that reassured me on here. I’m just being a little diva. As it’s my first Glastonbury, I wanted to have the ‘Pyramid moment’ which looking at current headliners and predictions - not gonna happen, and now the future of my main music preference acts is sailing away and I had to offload my feelings hah!

Im sure I will have belter of a time regardless! Girl just like to moan (no pun intended!) ?

27 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

Thanks Ben and everyone that reassured me on here. I’m just being a little diva. As it’s my first Glastonbury, I wanted to have the ‘Pyramid moment’ which looking at current headliners and predictions - not gonna happen, and now the future of my main music preference acts is sailing away and I had to offload my feelings hah!

Im sure I will have belter of a time regardless! Girl just like to moan (no pun intended!) ?

I didn't see a Pyramid headliner until my third Glastonbury, and there are almost NO bands currently who are likely to get that slot that I would want to see! I'm almost never at the big pointy stage!

I don't know what your festival history is up to now, but with this being your first Glastonbury (of which everyone on here is jealous...!), you will have your mind completely blown. Many things are verbosely described as 'like nothing on Earth'. No verbosity when talking about Glastonbury...

You. Will. Love. It.

Ben

3 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I don't know what your festival history is up to now, but with this being your first Glastonbury (of which everyone on here is jealous...!), you will have your mind completely blown. Many things are verbosely described as 'like nothing on Earth'. No verbosity when talking about Glastonbury...

I’m quite a festival veteran, although, so far I’ve only truly been blown away by Boomtown, I know it’s gonna change in June ?

56 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

I’m quite a festival veteran, although, so far I’ve only truly been blown away by Boomtown, I know it’s gonna change in June ?

Glasto in unlike any other festival in existence. Nothing can prepare you for it. 

It's very easy to worry about what you will see, what you won't. This guy playing other European festivals but not Glasto. But once you let go and let the farm take you away, you'll know you made the right choice. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

It won’t let me edit for some reason, but you’re very right about the unknown acts and best memories, cause  my best one from Boomtown will always be strolling into Chinese Laundry at 7am and going absolutely crazy to some Asian techno/ravey tunes ??

Sounds amazing, slightly off-topic but my brother is massively into vinyl and using it for DJing a lot. His mate recently went over to Asia and brought him back a load of Chinese Disco records, full of Chinese covers of big Disco hits. Hot Stuff, Rasputin etc...not sure any of it is available online so I'll have to try and get the files from him. Imagine someone doing a set full of that at Glastonbury :D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jay89 said:

That's interesting. I went to Boomtown last year for the first time. I will freely admit that it took me until the Saturday to 'get it' and then I was astonished! I think that's in part as the non-dance part of the line-up is not really my natural habitat - there's only so much jumpy Balkan folk-punk I can take - and so I found it harder to organise my time than at, say, a Glastonbury or a Green Man or a Latitude etc. That said, when I settled into the festival I was able to love how incredible it is. The sheer ambition of the production is breathtaking - that's something you might notice as a bit less conspicuous at Glastonbury. Glastonbury is incredible and beautiful, but it doesn't have the universal complexity of build production that Boomtown has. At Glastonbury, quite a number of stages are 'just' perfectly nice-looking tents or standard-looking stages. At Boomtown, of course, the same stage might an old mining building or a concrete bunker etc! You do get some of that (which I will certainly not spoil for you), but not as much. But that 'doesn't matter' at Glastonbury, as that's not their shtick. 

What will astonish you is the sheer size and diversity and vibe (there are fewer 19 year olds staggering around at 7am shouting "Ket? Ket?! Anyone got any Ket?!" - there are some, but fewer!) and, of course, the fact that you can dance until 6am in quite a few places and even a bit later if you know where to go!

Not long now...

Ben

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

A random question.

All a bit mellow for me.

What am I missing?

I totally get what you mean but personally I like em. However, and it's a big however, for me it's a question of when they're on. It's obviously not peak energy level music, I much prefer to hear this kind of low-key melodic techno during the day or early evening, ramping up to something a little harder. I saw them at Afterlife in Ibiza in the summer and it just felt a bit too mellow (as you say) at a time of the night when it felt like the crowd needed something with a bit more energy.

I'll definitely be checking them out again at Junction 2 in June, hopefully they're on nice and early

22 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I totally get what you mean but personally I like em. However, and it's a big however, for me it's a question of when they're on. It's obviously not peak energy level music, I much prefer to hear this kind of low-key melodic techno during the day or early evening, ramping up to something a little harder. I saw them at Afterlife in Ibiza in the summer and it just felt a bit too mellow (as you say) at a time of the night when it felt like the crowd needed something with a bit more energy.

I'll definitely be checking them out again at Junction 2 in June, hopefully they're on nice and early

I think I'd like them if they were on during the day at Cafe Mambo, but I can't imagine bothering at peak time

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

What will astonish you is the sheer size and diversity and vibe (there are fewer 19 year olds staggering around at 7am shouting "Ket? Ket?! Anyone got any Ket?!" - there are some, but fewer!) and, of course, the fact that you can dance until 6am in quite a few places and even a bit later if you know where to go!

Not long now...

Ben

You perfectly summed up Boomtown crowd! There’s not enough fingers on my body to count the times when 15-16 years old looking kids were looking for or even selling ket.

It’ll be good to get away from that kind of crowd at Glastonbury :)

14 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

A random question.

All a bit mellow for me.

What am I missing?

I’m really not into that slow progressive house sort of sound. But they have a near religions following which is why they are big.

in mainland Europe they are huge. They are pretty huge here too really

4 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Modestep on West Holts in 2017 was superb. Wouldn't be surprised to see them here 

You mean Moderat?  I missed it that year, ended up staying on the Pyramid because I make *great* decisions.  

Is probably up there in my all time festival regrets.   Fortunately I saw Moderat earlier in the year but it wasn't the same!

Modeselektor were last in glasto in '16 and their schedule appears to have a glasto sized hole in it at the moment so there's a chance.  They'd probably end up in Silver Hayes again but I'd absolutely love it if they got a set at Arcadia