Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

31 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hmmmm...I'm kind of not sure about that, shuttle. I think it's a bit of yes and no.

Bang Hai - great sound quality, too damn quiet. The atmosphere gets lost in a field that big. Visuals are great. The fact the 98% of the stuff played there is shit for me is irrelevant!

Sector 6 - yeah, pretty damn good

PsyForest - again great clarity, but turn the bugger UP!

Tribe of Frog - quite frankly the best sound I've heard in an outdoor dance rig. Volume superb, clarity off the scale

Pagoda Plaza - utter shite. Made a few sets there that I wanted to see almost a waste of time. I even bailed at one point and climbed there steps to Tribe of Frog to get back to that beautiful sound!

ScapYard - yeah, very good

Robotika - reasonable. Not stellar

And what about The Glade?

Don't get me wrong, dance at BT is superb, and their attention to detail is wonderful. But sound wasn't universally great!

:)

Ben

well yes nothing beats the glade, but all the stages in Silver Hayes, they need totally revamping. when you see what can be done . made me think more could be done with them.

sound wise I had no problem .. to be honest though at Boom town i only visited a handfull of stages, only walked through the psyforest. i was well sideways most nights. loved the gay little brother area

6 hours ago, Ninety9 said:

Hey all, long time lurker - this is the only way I can keep in the loop of all that is happening in the electronic world.

What are people's opinion on E1 London as a venue? Thinking of going to the Running Back event in Feb

That event looks sick, would be going myself if I didn't have a friends thing to attend.

I've been E1 a few times, mostly positive experiences. It's not too far from the Shadwell station. The queue moves pretty fast compared to other places. Last time I went got checked pretty hard for drugs, basically had my balls groped. So be extra careful if you're carrying. 

It's two rooms, about 3 bars. Sound is very good, I'm no audiphile but starting to notice when a venue has cheaped out on the soundsystem. If you're a girl, you're gonna be queueing quite a bit for the bathroom, they really could improve on that. If you're a guy, there is a second toilet in the main room that not everyone is always aware of.

They also have a chill-out area, so if you're like me and after a while you'd rather sit and have a chat as a break between the dancing but you don't smoke or wanna be outside it's perfect. Usually have a few comfy bean bag type things or benches for people to chill or whatever. 

Crowd is relative to the event, Todd Terje was a mix of all walks of life, Mall Grab felt like I was at a Uni party. 

Yeah overall it's a good venue, shame about it's location really and not too keen on getting groped by security lol. 

If it were on another night I think I'd be trying to get some mates to go, the line-up sounds really decent.

2 hours ago, shuttlep said:

well yes nothing beats the glade, but all the stages in Silver Hayes, they need totally revamping. when you see what can be done . made me think more could be done with them.

sound wise I had no problem .. to be honest though at Boom town i only visited a handfull of stages, only walked through the psyforest. i was well sideways most nights. loved the gay little brother area

Silver Hayes is just a mess. And such a shame, as the area is huge. It just feels like the part of Glastonbury that gets the least amount of love. Sound in Wow! is ordinary at best. Pussy Parlure (new location) can be OK, but none of the venues feel as if they're welcoming you in. 

I think we have to be fair/realistic to Glastonbury in observing that they're not trying to do the installation thing on anywhere near the same level as Boomtown - tbh, who is? And that's part of the magic of BT... - but you're absolutely right about how much more they could do. You only have to look at The Blues, which is pretty cool!

Ben

19 hours ago, Acid Loafers said:

That event looks sick, would be going myself if I didn't have a friends thing to attend.

I've been E1 a few times, mostly positive experiences. It's not too far from the Shadwell station. The queue moves pretty fast compared to other places. Last time I went got checked pretty hard for drugs, basically had my balls groped. So be extra careful if you're carrying. 

It's two rooms, about 3 bars. Sound is very good, I'm no audiphile but starting to notice when a venue has cheaped out on the soundsystem. If you're a girl, you're gonna be queueing quite a bit for the bathroom, they really could improve on that. If you're a guy, there is a second toilet in the main room that not everyone is always aware of.

They also have a chill-out area, so if you're like me and after a while you'd rather sit and have a chat as a break between the dancing but you don't smoke or wanna be outside it's perfect. Usually have a few comfy bean bag type things or benches for people to chill or whatever. 

Crowd is relative to the event, Todd Terje was a mix of all walks of life, Mall Grab felt like I was at a Uni party. 

Yeah overall it's a good venue, shame about it's location really and not too keen on getting groped by security lol. 

If it were on another night I think I'd be trying to get some mates to go, the line-up sounds really decent.

Thanks for the big write up. More of a fan of smaller venues but the lineup is my type of music.

If not hoping at least Fort Romeau and Gerd Janson play over the Glatonbury weekend.

On 12/16/2018 at 11:38 AM, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Printworks last night was absolutely insane, Blawan played one of my favourite sets of the year. 

Thought the sound in the Dark Room was poor and wasn't blown away by it in the Press Halls either. We were all pretty spangled though as it was the first time we'd got together for a while. Chatting to a guy on the way home saying Jeff wasn't great. I don't remember him tbh. Did he get his 909 out?

Still a bloody good day. I just over indulged.

Edited by EZYSEY

On 12/17/2018 at 2:01 PM, zero000 said:

Caught Orbital in Bristol last night and they were sensational. Great show and the new material fitted in seamlessly.

First time I've been sober enough to remember their set ?

Still buzzing two days later. Absolutely mental night - the visuals took it to another level from when they played the 02 6 years ago.  Some of the stuff like there will come a time.. just wowzers.  Absolutely got everything crossed for them hitting Pilton in June... DJ set, Arcadia, Other Stage.. just give us some more please.

1 hour ago, tumbles said:

Still buzzing two days later. Absolutely mental night - the visuals took it to another level from when they played the 02 6 years ago.  Some of the stuff like there will come a time.. just wowzers.  Absolutely got everything crossed for them hitting Pilton in June... DJ set, Arcadia, Other Stage.. just give us some more please.

They've been a SR for a while, Neil got a tip. Wouldn't be surprised to see them headline West Holts.

4 hours ago, EZYSEY said:

Thought the sound in the Dark Room was poor and wasn't blown away by it in the Press Halls either. We were all pretty spangled though as it was the first time we'd got together for a while. Chatting to a guy on the way home saying Jeff wasn't great. I don't remember him tbh. Did he get his 909 out?

Still a bloody good day. I just over indulged.

The sound in the Dark Room was really bad actually, had forgotten quite how bad, which is odd because I was there a month or so ago and it was pretty good. I don't know if Jeff Mills had anything going on with his setup, thought he was really good but we were further back so didn't pay any attention to what was going on at the front all evening.

4 hours ago, tumbles said:

Yeah completely agree the visuals were excellent. Looked particularly ridiculous in the academy, despite it being a dreadful venue.

The bicep at printworks looks great, released Friday..

That said, can someone elighten me as to how they are 'live' with not one keyboard between them? Genuine question. 

Surely what they are doing is no more than using something like Ableton software to be creative when they bring each layer of track in. Something Sasha did for years in his 'maven' DJ sets. This is not live. 

14 hours ago, zero000 said:

Yeah completely agree the visuals were excellent. Looked particularly ridiculous in the academy, despite it being a dreadful venue.

Sometimes the intimacy of the academy does make for a better gig. It is dreadful but the actual PA system is very good and visuals like sunday almost imerce the entire venue due to its size.  Some of the best gigs I've seen have been there - MA, Portishead, Orbital to name but a few.  I also remember seing Waynes World 2 there when it was still a cinema but less said about that ?

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Just booked to see Arnaud Le Texier in February.

Anyone seen him? His Soundcloud mixes/sets are fantastic - lovely, dark, brooding cliche-free techno. His short LP Granular Therapy is great too.

So that's a nice rave to look forward to for when I get into the New Year!

Ben  

I haven't seen him, but Ive heard Granular Therapy. It is excellent.

The next event I am at is LWE Junction 2 on 29th in London.

Adam Beyer, Amelie lens, Dixon, Rodhad, Ame, Joel Mull  and Fort Romeu are all playing.

Thats my festive blowout

7 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I haven't seen him, but Ive heard Granular Therapy. It is excellent.

The next event I am at is LWE Junction 2 on 29th in London.

Adam Beyer, Amelie lens, Dixon, Rodhad, Ame, Joel Mull  and Fort Romeu are all playing.

Thats my festive blowout

Ooooh. Rødhäd, you lucky bugger. Been wanting to see that big brute for ages!

Have a blast, Fuzz. 

Ben

Wow! That Bicep set looks off the scale. I like them. Not massively, but I do like them. But, that looks incredible.

However...

...the fuckers stood stock still against the barrier, looking into their phones...? I mean, I realise that someone has to be at the front and it's bound to be super squashed and so hard/impossible to dance, but to be watching a light show like that, with a set that good, and to be poring over your phone...?

What. The. Fuck?

Ben

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Wow! That Bicep set looks off the scale. I like them. Not massively, but I do like them. But, that looks incredible.

However...

...the fuckers stood stock still against the barrier, looking into their phones...? I mean, I realise that someone has to be at the front and it's bound to be super squashed and so hard/impossible to dance, but to be watching a light show like that, with a set that good, and to be poring over your phone...?

What. The. Fuck?

Ben

My mate went there and saw Blaawan last week. He said there is no room until you are much further back.

Like you, I like Bicep, but it's all like a warm up set. Im waiting for it to really kick off

3 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

My mate went there and saw Blaawan last week. He said there is no room until you are much further back.

Like you, I like Bicep, but it's all like a warm up set. Im waiting for it to really kick off

Every time I’ve been to Printworks I’ve stood toward the back, I like space to dance and get annoyed in big crowds, but the system, lights and crowd is still great the whole way back so it’s fine. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Madyaker said:

Id love Laurent Garnier to appear somewhere

I always feel like Garnier is too big/pricey to play at Glastonbury, but he does pop up at some smaller spaces in London from time to time so maybe he's not that far outside of Glastonbury's reach? Would be really good if he did pop up for some kind of marathon set somewhere loud.