Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Victor Ruiz was top class on Friday night. The only issue was he was only on for an hour & a half. Thomas Schumacher was good, but until the last half hour, he wasnt on Ruiz's level. Then for the final half an hour it became an acid fest which I enjoyed.

The soundsystem in Joshua Brooks is shite. It needs sorting. 

Then again for £8, I can't really complain.

2 hours ago, Zacko said:

Off to Vietnam for three weeks over New Years, gotta say we're quite tempted by this monster:

https://www.residentadvisor.net/events/1126243

Some great names on the lineup - the only problem is I reckon we'd end up staying there for the entire duration! 

Looks amazing!! If you like good breaks, I advice you to see Lady WAKS from this line up, she’s quite something!

On 12/7/2018 at 2:47 PM, Colouring Book said:

Was looking into this as the line up caught my eye. How did you get to the festival? It seems you fly to Berlin and get train for  two and a half hours and then use a festival shuttle? We're trying to weigh up a new festival next year and this looks good. 

Anything else I should know? I take it you can bring your own alcohol into the campsite yeah? Is drink cheap inside the festival? 

Yeah that's pretty much it. They run coaches from Hauptbahnhof which are pretty cheap and get you there in just over two hours. Was all pretty efficient.

We didn't even get our bags searched going into the campsite but this was largely luck. You can bring booze in but can't take it through to the arena, although the pat down is pretty half hearted. Drinks prices were pretty decent by festival standards. The food is out of this world, which probably isn't enough to swing a decision but these little things all help.

On 12/10/2018 at 8:10 AM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Victor Ruiz was top class on Friday night. The only issue was he was only on for an hour & a half. Thomas Schumacher was good, but until the last half hour, he wasnt on Ruiz's level. Then for the final half an hour it became an acid fest which I enjoyed.

The soundsystem in Joshua Brooks is shite. It needs sorting. 

Then again for £8, I can't really complain.

I didn't really know anything about Victor Ruiz before we caught him play with Oliver Huntemann in Ritte Butzke in Berlin last May.

Absolutely phenomenal set in the sweatiest room in the universe. Still not sure why they thought it was necessary to have the radiators on.......

13 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

A bit disappointed with those names compared to the Saturday this year. Oh well, no spider for me in 2019

Yeah, I saw that line up and had but one thought:

?

Just seems slightly incongruous to me to have the Drumcode assault of AF followed by the tech-house cheese of HS82. 

Ah well. No doubt thousands will like it...

Ben

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

Fucking hell, is Lethal Bizzle still a thing? Thought he’d be an Uber driver or something by now. 

Why? Even if he hadn't been fairly consistently releasing mid-range hits since the early 2000s, he'd still be pretty well placed to have ridden the recent grime popularity wave in a sort of 'elder statesman of the genre' capacity.

If anything I'd be more surprised if he'd vanished completely.

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Yeah, I saw that line up and had but one thought:

?

Just seems slightly incongruous to me to have the Drumcode assault of AF followed by the tech-house cheese of HS82. 

Ah well. No doubt thousands will like it...

Ben

Thousands will also go just for the spectacle that is the spider and I totally get that, raving in the sunshine and darkness underneath that flame throwing behemoth is a joy. It's just that the names booked this year seem a little uninspired, I'd have liked to have seen a few edgier acts. All subjective of course and I'm sure it'll be a great couple of days again

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Thousands will also go just for the spectacle that is the spider and I totally get that, raving in the sunshine and darkness underneath that flame throwing behemoth is a joy. It's just that the names booked this year seem a little uninspired, I'd have liked to have seen a few edgier acts. All subjective of course and I'm sure it'll be a great couple of days again

Thinking about it, though it might make you and me sad, the whole concept of Arcadia starting to do its own standalone events now (Bristol progressing to London and elsewhere etc.) means that it is coming to the masses. You do that and you have to cater to what the masses want, and that is, like it or not, the sort of names you see there. For me, Hot Since 82 is utter shite. He's also extremely popular. QED. There's a reason why Martin Garrix has been voted DJ Mag's No.1 DJ for the last three years in a row...?

You ain't gonna get edgy in the Olympic Park...

Ben

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Thinking about it, though it might make you and me sad, the whole concept of Arcadia starting to do its own standalone events now (Bristol progressing to London and elsewhere etc.) means that it is coming to the masses. You do that and you have to cater to what the masses want, and that is, like it or not, the sort of names you see there. For me, Hot Since 82 is utter shite. He's also extremely popular. QED. There's a reason why Martin Garrix has been voted DJ Mag's No.1 DJ for the last three years in a row...?

You ain't gonna get edgy in the Olympic Park...

Ben

Fair response as always, Ben. It's important that I appreciate that more names will be added yet. The Arcadia organisation deserve to be successful, they're offering something different as an experience and I for one can't wait to see what's up their sleeves in June. They seem pretty excited about it and that can only be a good thing

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Fair response as always, Ben. It's important that I appreciate that more names will be added yet. The Arcadia organisation deserve to be successful, they're offering something different as an experience and I for one can't wait to see what's up their sleeves in June. They seem pretty excited about it and that can only be a good thing

Absolutely - I wasn't in anyway resenting the crew's success. I love that Spider and the philosophy behind the Arcadia team, so more power to their elbow. Unfortunately, through nobody's 'fault', once you leave the Underground, commercial pressures make it very difficult not to gravitate towards the mainstream...

All that aside, I CAN. NOT. WAIT. to see what they have in store for us on the Farm next year, their excitement in unveiling a new beast at Worthy confirming their ongoing love of Glastonbury.

Ben