Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

4 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

So, team, it seems I might have just managed to create a family holiday that gets me (and Children 1-3...) to DIMENSIONS in Croatia next year, for at least one, and hopefully two nights! Yes!

Anyone been? Any reviews? This year’s line up was absolutely amazing, so hoping for a similar picture next year, with some luck as to which nights people are on...

So, who’s been to Dimensions (or have mates who have)?

Ben

Strange names you have for your kids there Ben

On 11/18/2018 at 5:11 PM, Mardy said:

This  Fabriclive 100 thing from Kode9 & Burial is a bit fucking tasty

Haven't heard the full Fabriclive mix but I did hear the preview one they did for Mary Anne Hobbs and it made me realise how much I'd love to hear someone play 4am by Orca at exactly 4am on the farm. 

In fact more DJs should plan their sets that way - 3am Eternal at exactly 3am, Break of Dawn the minute they see the sun, etc.

17 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Still can’t quite make up my mind about the boys. I know I like them, but I’m not sure there’s enough there for me, a lot of the time...hmmm ?

Was due to see them in London before Rainbow Venues got shut down. Was a shame, as I really wanted to give them a go. The saving grace was that the support line up was, for me, flippin’ awful!

:)

Ben

I can totally relate, they have released an amazing album but are almost lacking a certain oomph.

I have heard amazing things about their live sets and the visuals are supposed to accompany the music quite well. Think they put a bit of work into that part of their show. Also I still haven't made it down to Printworks so it felt like a good excuse to check it out. Though I'm still trying to not think about missing the Armand Van Helden night... 

Had it not been Printworks, I may have passed on Bicep and just waited until they played some festival I ended up at to see what it was all about.

41 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Not me, @crazyfool1

But just looked at the line up. Crikey, that’s Old Skool!!!

Ben

Im a bit confused by many of the names on this thread to be honest but have heard of most of the djs that are playing mine head ... I went last year for the 25th anniversary  and it was great fun and was also nice to have a decent bed comparatively  at 4/5am when it finished to get a decent couple of hours in :) 

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

can you do day tickets to Dimensions? i just presumed it was a weekend only thing?

They're a thing, though not guaranteed - i.e. you can pitch up and pay for the day, but existing weekend ticket holder capacity may preclude that.

Apparently, 2 x day ticket price is pretty much the same as a weekend one, so we may, for that and nervousness at there not actually being any day tickets when we get there, just go for the least risky option and get those.

Just feels a bit of a bugger to, potentially, buy 5-6 weekend tickets and then only end up going for one day (night). I guess that buying weekend tickets is a good lever to say 'we're definitely doing both the Saturday and Sunday nights!'.

And, has anyone been to Dimensions, already???!!!

Ben

I havent been to Dimensions Ben but I have a friend who loves is Techno and stuff and he loved it, I think he's been a couple of times.

But I went to Croatia in August and its a beautiful part of the world. A little bit more expensive than I imagined but still great.

I know that doesnt really help but there you go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Divein said:

I havent been to Dimensions Ben but I have a friend who loves is Techno and stuff and he loved it, I think he's been a couple of times.

But I went to Croatia in August and its a beautiful part of the world. A little bit more expensive than I imagined but still great.

I know that doesnt really help but there you go.

I completely forgot it's in Croatia and now I want to do a combined Dimensions rave/Spomenik tour holiday

Went to Dimensions this year. Security is very tight, lots of undercover, you think you’ve made it past them and they pop out of nowhere, but as long as you take usual precautions but make sure you don’t sort yourself out until deep inside the festival, you’ll be fine. If you get caught, they will try and take all the money you have in your account, and say they’ll keep you if not. Lots of entrapment type situations as well.

Id recommend staying as close to the festival as possible. Pula is lovely, but there’s two buses per hour for everyone going to the fest from Pula.

The festival is very beholden to the weather which is massively unpredictable at that time of year, but has a trend of serious thunderstorms. The vast majority of the stages are made of tin, so if they get word there’s a thunderstorm within a certain radius, they all get shut down apart from one.

i would also recommend the boat parties, which I enjoyed much more than expected. I went to Hessle.

i enjoyed it, the weather and queues probably did affect it but I’d go again and just do things slightly differently.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

And, has anyone been to Dimensions, already???!!!

I went to Dimensions in 2015. One of the best festivals I've been to. Really cool stages and a super nice crowd. Line up is always great. Lovely sound as well. The beach is fantastic to chill at in the day and there are cool spots along it that people gather at after hours. 

But yeah (like all Croatian festivals) security are pretty tight, one of my mates needed to be bailed out of a Croatian police van (not a place you want to be). However as long as you have your wits about you and take the usual precautions you'll be all good, he was just not being very secretive let's say...

I would also recommend the boat parties as mentioned above - we saw Gerd Janson on one at sunset which was just perfect. If you're interested in production there are also workshops and discussions with artists and industry types which is cool. An amazing festival for dance music heads. You'll love it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mezhyp1 said:

He's a total roaster 

How's he viewed in the dance music scene? I've seen he's getting bigger and bigger, but I have seen some questionable stuff he's posted on social media. I dont know if it was old or what.

I've seen clips of him DJin'g and some of the tunes he plays out are very strange. It seems like he's a DJ for the reddit generation.

1 hour ago, Mezhyp1 said:

He's a total roaster 

25 minutes ago, Divein said:

How's he viewed in the dance music scene? I've seen he's getting bigger and bigger, but I have seen some questionable stuff he's posted on social media. I dont know if it was old or what.

I've seen clips of him DJin'g and some of the tunes he plays out are very strange. It seems like he's a DJ for the reddit generation.

Glad it's not just me, Mez...

He's bloody awful. I understand why, over the years, the DJ has more and more become the focus, rather than the music/set/event. That's inevitable in our celebrity-worshipping society. But Sulta is one of the worst examples of a DJ who just wants to make it about them. IMO, he's such a try-hard. He curated a night at Boomtown this year and it was pretty dire. I waited and waited for Or:La and in the end buggered off before she came on as it was interminable garbage being played. And all of the kids there seemed to be there because they felt they should be there. No-one seemed in anyway properly into it.

Child 2, who is much more liberal in her dance music tastes than me saw him in Manchester recently and said it was one of the most boring 2-hour sets she's ever seen. And she's hardly the one-dimensional techno-head that her Dad is...

The Emperor is wearing no clothes...

Ben

16 hours ago, Col!n said:

I went to Dimensions in 2015. One of the best festivals I've been to. Really cool stages and a super nice crowd. Line up is always great. Lovely sound as well. The beach is fantastic to chill at in the day and there are cool spots along it that people gather at after hours. 

But yeah (like all Croatian festivals) security are pretty tight, one of my mates needed to be bailed out of a Croatian police van (not a place you want to be). However as long as you have your wits about you and take the usual precautions you'll be all good, he was just not being very secretive let's say...

I would also recommend the boat parties as mentioned above - we saw Gerd Janson on one at sunset which was just perfect. If you're interested in production there are also workshops and discussions with artists and industry types which is cool. An amazing festival for dance music heads. You'll love it!

Fab info, @Col!n, thanks.

As we're on holiday, the plan at the moment is to 'do the nights' - so roll up at 8pm-ish Sat and Sun nights and go hard til the morning.

Just need a line-up now!

Thanks, again

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Glad it's not just me, Mez...

He's bloody awful. I understand why, over the years, the DJ has more and more become the focus, rather than the music/set/event. That's inevitable in our celebrity-worshipping society. But Sulta is one of the worst examples of a DJ who just wants to make it about them. IMO, he's such a try-hard. He curated a night at Boomtown this year and it was pretty dire. I waited and waited for Or:La and in the end buggered off before she came on as it was interminable garbage being played. And all of the kids there seemed to be there because they felt they should be there. No-one seemed in anyway properly into it.

Child 2, who is much more liberal in her dance music tastes than me saw him in Manchester recently and said it was one of the most boring 2-hour sets she's ever seen. And she's hardly the one-dimensional techno-head that her Dad is...

The Emperor is wearing no clothes...

Ben

20 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Sulta is a terrible DJ, the absolute nadir of the crate digger aesthetic that's been popular in recent years. He can't mix for shit and he has absolutely no idea how to build a set that flows in any way whatsoever. 

11 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Really really bad DJ, just pulls ridiculous tunes out the bag (not literally) for people to get their phones out for, making it look good in videos to the impressionable masses 

No offence, @Acid Loafers !!!

;)

Ben

Bicep at Printworks this Friday - Very very excited to check out the venue, but agree with Bicep lacking a certain something in the live shows. Then again I think I've been unlucky with the sound both times I've seen the live show. 

If they could find a way to incorporate some of their older stuff into the sets I think it could be unreal, but can understand why they don't (probably don't have the stems etc anymore). 

Also did Glitterbox the weekend just gone, Dimitri from Paris fired out banger after banger; not many who have as good a remix back catalogue as him. Was an absolute riot. 

@bennyhana22 No offense taken, I was just mentioning that he was at R&L.

@Zacko See you there! It's gonna be my first time at Printworks too. I'm hoping that the fact that it goes on till 2 it'll be a better show but haven't got my hopes up too much... I've heard that 2017 Printworks had pretty bad sound but they fixed up some issues with it this season. Wait and see I guess.