Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

4 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Anyone go to the motion day party on the weekend? Avalon Emerson was sensational. Rodhad pretty solid also.

Glad it was good @zero000

Rødhåd has been on my need-to-see list for ages.

Just as one-line review of Boomtown electronica...

I think I've fallen a bit in love with (good) Psy-Trance (eek!) and Enrico Sangiuliano was absolutely incredible.

Ben
x

16 hours ago, stocky3000 said:

Picked up tickets for the four tet all nighter at Brixton - has anyone been before with reviews?

That and Todd Terje at Printworks should keep me busy for October!

Been to all of the all-nighters so far, always a stacked line up, no jazzy lights, just a table on the stage with some shit table lamps, tends to be an ok vibe, depending on where you end up. I got tickets for the live show and hoping for all-nighter tickets in today’s sale. 

47 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Long time no see folks. Haven't been to a Four Tet all nighter since the first two - got some for Friday this time round. Has the crowd gotten worse since the original ones @Matt - Ed Banger Records? Feel like I know the answer

Going to Four Tet's all nighter in Liverpool (supported/shared with Daniel Avery) and pretty stoked for it, although my experience with these types of thing lately has been that the crowds are dreadful. Also gonna be torn between the two acts all night as they're both doing all nighters simultaneously and will no doubt in my spangled state end up running between rooms every five minutes.

17 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I think I've fallen a bit in love with (good) Psy-Trance (eek!) and Enrico Sangiuliano was absolutely incredible.

Ben
x

Yep he was. It needed to be a bit louder, but it was amazing.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Going to Four Tet's all nighter in Liverpool (supported/shared with Daniel Avery) and pretty stoked for it, although my experience with these types of thing lately has been that the crowds are dreadful. Also gonna be torn between the two acts all night as they're both doing all nighters simultaneously and will no doubt in my spangled state end up running between rooms every five minutes.

Yeah I've barely been out in the last couple of years because the crowds have been driving me nuts - apart from smaller nights my mates have put on 

On 8/30/2018 at 5:58 PM, bennyhana22 said:

Ben
x

Didn't have you down as someone who doesn't shower ?

Rodhad was definitely worth a watch, can definitely see why he's so hyped in techno circles. Shame it was only a 2 hour set however...

• Upvote 1

On 8/31/2018 at 10:20 AM, Tuna said:

Long time no see folks. Haven't been to a Four Tet all nighter since the first two - got some for Friday this time round. Has the crowd gotten worse since the original ones @Matt - Ed Banger Records? Feel like I know the answer

Um, hard to say, went to the last ones he did and the crowd was alright, we had a group of about 10 of us though so didn’t really take much notice of the crowds. I think in a place like Brixton Academy you get pockets of dickheads and pockets of sound people, I’m only going to the all-nighter because about 20 of my mates are going, more hyped for the live show in truth. I was considering the Erol all nighter in November too, and the Avery one as well. 

Finally got round to watching The Agony and the Ecstasy documentary on Sky Arts recently.  Recorded it last year but only just got to it!  Three part documentary on the growth of acid house, rave culture and UK dance.  Probably all old hat to those that actually know about dance music, but I found it a really interesting watch.  Available on Sky player if you're a customer, but sure you can find it elsewhere if you're not :)

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I like psytrance .  Always have, don't get the hate for it.  I don't go out of my way to listen to it, but I always enjoy it when it's on, even though it's generally bookended by people saying how awful psytrance is.

Good psytrance is good... but there is plenty of shit. Plenty of the same sound, that stops and kicks back in. The harder stuff is in my opinion pretty shit. It's all the same.

10 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Good psytrance is good... but there is plenty of shit. Plenty of the same sound, that stops and kicks back in. The harder stuff is in my opinion pretty shit. It's all the same.

Psytrance is no different to any other genre when it comes to my 95% rule, Fuzz...

Namely, there is just so much stuff being put out now, that 95% of all music in a single genre is shit, and that it's invariably a question of seeking out the 5% that is excellent. There are, naturally, some genres that exceed the 95% shit quota, but few, if any, that stake a decent claim to be lower! So yes, when psytrance hits a rich vein, especially when time, location and environment are spot on, it can be spectacular. The Tribe of Frog sound system at Boomtown is as good as any outdoor (dance) rig I've ever heard, and when the psytrance was hitting its stride...WOW. 

And I'm consistent in my 95% rule - I love techno, as all on here are bored of hearing. But there's a lot of shit techno...

The prosecution rests.

Ben
x

PS - for some blistering, multi-focused electronica, have a listen to Applied Autonomy by Robert Lippok. Bloody hell, it's good...

• Upvote 2

I've just picked up a ticket for the Rival Consoles and Throwing Snow live shows at Earth in Hackney in a week or so, have Four Tet live and All-Nighter too - hoping to grab some Jon Hopkins tickets nearer the time, oh and Chemical Brothers - all roads really lead to the Printworks night in December with Jeff Mills, Dettmann and Blawan. I will no doubt find some other electronic things to go to between now and the end of the year!