Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

Worcestershire, Fuzz - so mainly Brum for going out, which can often be excellent, given the city's importance in the history of UK techno.

Liverpool is a bit of a trek, though have wanted to see Amelie for ages. Still agonising about a WHP with Dettman, Avery, Blawan, Skeemask...one of my Glastonbury mates pinged me a link and my little heart skipped a beat...!

Will defo check out Lorraine, cheers - I'm getting more into psytrance, not surprisingly the artists who play more at the 136bpm end of the genre, as I can dance to it 'properly'...just like techno but a bit more frenetic! I do struggle with the 140-144 stuff as it just means my feet are planted and it's general upper body gyration...nothing inherently wrong with that, but not quite the mesmeric immersion that I get in techno. 

AudioFire live looks to be a great bet for me. Tempo of his live sets online is spot on, his track progression is excellent and the sound very techy. And he's not afraid to turn up the acid knob (technical term for you non-DJs...), which will alway get hands in the air from me...

Ben
x

I wouldn't advise the WHP.  It's vastly oversold, the bouncers are not too friendly and not too many in there are over the age of 30. Which doesn't normally bother me... but the people it attracts are not the best! The layout of the venue isn't clubbing friendly either. Walls blocking the speakers etc.

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I wouldn't advise the WHP.  It's vastly oversold, the bouncers are not too friendly and not too many in there are over the age of 30. Which doesn't normally bother me... but the people it attracts are not the best! The layout of the venue isn't clubbing friendly either. Walls blocking the speakers etc.

Which MORON designed that???!!!

Duly noted, Fuzzy, thanks.

There are now one or two small venues in Birmingham that have really made an effort, sound wise. It's good to see that there's less style and more substance in some places. Amusement13 has probably the best VOID system I've ever heard and it just means the difference between a good night and a superb one...

Ben

54 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Which MORON designed that???!!!

Duly noted, Fuzzy, thanks.

There are now one or two small venues in Birmingham that have really made an effort, sound wise. It's good to see that there's less style and more substance in some places. Amusement13 has probably the best VOID system I've ever heard and it just means the difference between a good night and a superb one...

Ben

In fairness - it's just a car park that they turn into a club. I like the old fashioned  "we are taking over an urban area" vibe - but honestly, don't bother.

The only places I've been to in Birmingham are

The Old Gatecrasher GB- good club, awful location. Full of pissed up plebs.

Custard factory - really liked that

Godskitchen  - meh

Q Club - The best club of the lot. A bit like a church.

33 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Can't imagine the devastation that would be left behind by Helena Hauff playing on Genosys 

She ripped Dekmantel to shreds on Sunday 

yeah, they need to pay her whatever she wants and get her on the farm. I actually met her and mentioned Glastonbury to her and she said she'd never heard of it.

31 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Can't imagine the devastation that would be left behind by Helena Hauff playing on Genosys 

She ripped Dekmantel to shreds on Sunday 

Just discovered she existed, one of the new albums that popped up on my Deezer lists after I heard Hyper-Intelligent on the 6Music playlist.  I was suitably impressed.

7 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

New Aphex EP has just gone on sale on Bleep.

18 quid*. For an EP...

This is getting silly...

Ben

*plus P&P, natch

That's just the foil cover first pressing, you can get the normal LP for £12. And to be fair, it's just about 30 minutes of music so it isn't the shortest EP ever.

nice! I would really like to go too.

I can imagine it becoming a sell-out in a day / few hours kind of event for years as they would obviously spoil it if they expand the capacity too much.

random question, what were the booze choices like? I can see they are pretty restrictive on what you bring in but i dont mind paying as long as the selection is OK.

also how is the camping with facilities etc?

Edited by Memory Man

On 8/13/2018 at 6:29 PM, Matt42 said:

Never thought I’d say this but there is genuinely a festival in the UK now that has wowed me as much as glastonbury... and that is houghton

believe the hype, that was one of the best weekends of my life

Wasn't it beautiful. Absolute masterclass of djing and live performance from start to finish from everyone I saw. Pure happiness for 4 days.

19 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Anyone going to any of the Printworks nights? Pre-sale today - have picked up a ticket to the Jeff Mills night, and may well go to the Mount Kimbie curated one too 

Just bought tickets to Todd Terje and the Anjunadeep night ?

8 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Anyone going to any of the Printworks nights? Pre-sale today - have picked up a ticket to the Jeff Mills night, and may well go to the Mount Kimbie curated one too 

I'm hoping to go to the Return II Jungle day on 03/11 (obviously Chase & Status, line up yet to be officially announced though) but this is pretty much a house and techno thread so doubt there'll be many others on here interested in that. Tempted by the Armand Van Helden (10/11) and Nina Kraviz (17/11) days too but November/December is always ridiculously busy for gigs. Already got Underworld at WHP

12 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'm hoping to go to the Return II Jungle day on 03/11 (obviously Chase & Status, line up yet to be officially announced though) but this is pretty much a house and techno thread so doubt there'll be many others on here interested in that. Tempted by the Armand Van Helden (10/11) and Nina Kraviz (17/11) days too but November/December is always ridiculously busy for gigs. Already got Underworld at WHP

I am going Underworld at WHP..

Also going Freestylers at Tangled 25th birthday. Not been raving for years but Tangled was one of my main haunts growing up and I love the Freestylers.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I am going Underworld at WHP..

Also going Freestylers at Tangled 25th birthday. Not been raving for years but Tangled was one of my main haunts growing up and I love the Freestylers.

Terry Pointon plays for my mates night in Manchester quite often (next one is in March).

I went to tangled a few times. Went to the 15th birthday at Sankeys.

I am going to Junction 2 in London over xmas and the invisible wind factory to see Amelie Lens in November. Otherwise I haven't got too much clubbing planned.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Terry Pointon plays for my mates night in Manchester quite often (next one is in March).

I went to tangled a few times. Went to the 15th birthday at Sankeys.

I am going to Junction 2 in London over xmas and the invisible wind factory to see Amelie Lens in November. Otherwise I haven't got too much clubbing planned.

I loved Tangled @ the Phoenix. It was a hidden jem that never got over run by scally sheep. Even the bank holiday old skool specials escaped them as all the idiots went to North. 

What's this Hiidden like? Not been raving for years so really looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I loved Tangled @ the Phoenix. It was a hidden jem that never got over run by scally sheep. Even the bank holiday old skool specials escaped them as all the idiots went to North.  

What's this Hiidden like? Not been raving for years so really looking forward to it.

Only been the once. It's a bit of an old kind of club, Just a warehouse. No frills.

It has a decent soundsystem.

I think they do loft and "garden" parties outside - but the night I went to was just the main club.