Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

On 6/29/2018 at 4:54 AM, ghostdancer1 said:

I've done both, and there's pros and cons really

stayed in the Tulip Inn Airport Hotel last year, 10 mins walk from the site. There's a free airport shuttle bus from outside the airport that goes on a loop around to all those hotels on that road, so getting there was easy, as was leaving when checking out. It was also very handy to be able to walk home after the festival finished, if you weren't going out for the night to any of the afterparties. Cons were that you're a decent bit out if you do decide to go out for the night, but you can just get the shuttle bus into the city after the festival, and Ubers back aren't expensive (taxis were, as we found out on the Thursday night!). The train goes from Centraal Station to the airport too, so it's easy enough going into the city, and getting back (although the airport shuttle bus stops in the evening, so have to get a taxi from the airport to the hotel at night). Also there isn't really any shops/cafes around, so you're basically forced to eat in the hotels, or at the festival site (food was pretty good at the festival TBF). Last year this kind of suited us, as we had been to Dekmantel the previous year, done all the touristy stuff, and were happy enough to just get up, eat, go to the festival, then go home when it finished at 11. we had tickets for Katharsis on the Saturday night, but were just too tired at 11 that we went back to the hotel and sat in the bar, there were plenty of other festivalers in there and had the craic with them.

the year before, we stayed about 15mins walk from the shuttle buses to the festival. good points were that there were shops around, so could stock up on stuff for the room, or in the morning/lunchtime go to a cafe. It also helped for going out after the festival finished. Most of our group went out to one of the official afterparties on the Friday, festival again Saturday then Katharsis after until 7am, then festival again on Sunday and out for a few beers after (a few went to the afterparty). If you want to explore the city a bit before going to the fesitval, or are planning on hitting the pubs/clubs after the festival, then it was great for that. Cons were that you were away from the festival, so it was a shuttle bus journey each day at a fiver a pop each way. There were taxis/ubers from the festival too, but the queues were pretty chaotic. We were all mostly knackered come Sunday morning from going out after the festival. The hotels closer to the city were also quite a bit more expensive from memory.

I probably preferred staying closer to the festival, but that might have been because it was a smaller group and less mental, had done the tourist stuff before, and weren't too bothered about going out after the festival on the Fri/Sat/Sun.

That is really, really helpful - thank you! Taking that into account, thinking we will stay in De Pijp. In the city but somewhat of a middle ground as we will be on the side of the city closer to the festival. Might even rent some bikes and do as the Dutch do to get to and from.

13 hours ago, eastynh said:

I have been listening to Confidence Man quite a lot recently. Anyone got any recommendations for acts of a similar ilk?

Did you see they just got Weatherall  to remix Out the Window. Must have been a bit weird remixing something that was that was aping his style from 28 years ago so faithfully.  I wonder if they really wanted 1990 Weatherall to remix it - of course they didn't get that, they got 2018 Weatherall, which is a quite different beast.

On 6/13/2018 at 5:29 PM, bennyhana22 said:

Excellent!

Who have you got your eye on, Winslow (electronic-wise, naturally...!)?

Be keen to get recs from people who know some of the 'other' dance staff that they think I'd like, beyond the 'obvious' (I'm looking at you, Charlotte and Enrico...).

Ben

Sorry mate, completely forgot to reply to this. Tbh, I'm with your lad Matt - Ed Banger Records on this one, I'm quite enjoying not being able to remember who's on what stage, or even who's playing.

Other than checking out some of the main stage acts (Gorillaz, Sleaford Mods, Soul II Soul, Jimm'll Cliff It, etc.) and some DJs I'll try not to miss (de Witte, Altern8, maybe even Shy FX if I'm feeling like a basic bitch) I'm liking the idea of just wandering around in a happy haze and taking it all in.

3 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Sorry mate, completely forgot to reply to this. Tbh, I'm with your lad Matt - Ed Banger Records on this one, I'm quite enjoying not being able to remember who's on what stage, or even who's playing.

Other than checking out some of the main stage acts (Gorillaz, Sleaford Mods, Soul II Soul, Jimm'll Cliff It, etc.) and some DJs I'll try not to miss (de Witte, Altern8, maybe even Shy FX if I'm feeling like a basic bitch) I'm liking the idea of just wandering around in a happy haze and taking it all in.

No one will believe me, given my well documented reputation for military-like festival itinerary organisation, but I am genuinely looking forward to being out of my musical comfort zone, making absurd planning somewhat redundant. I’m VERY excited about seeing IDLES, who I think are going to be stellar. They’re the band the Sleafords could only ever dream of being...?

So, current intention is mostly freestyled days and then reverting to perfectly structured mega-nights!

Realistically, how late am I gonna be able to dance? Any of the micro-venues open to go onto 4? 5? 6??

Ben

@bennyhana22 apparently Idles are on on Thursday (according to their website).

I think the licensing laws dictate 4am (and midnight) on the last night! But going off the Boomtown forum, you can find something if you look hard enough. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

@bennyhana22 apparently Idles are on on Thursday (according to their website).

I think the licensing laws dictate 4am (and midnight) on the last night! But going off the Boomtown forum, you can find something if you look hard enough. 

Thanks, VL. But I reckon the Thursday reference is simply that they’re at Boomtown, and it starts on this date (the Thursday). I’ve seen that done so much over the years. My understanding is that they’re headlining Earache on one of the nights, so that’s gotta be Fri, Sat or Sun. Or I could be a tit, and they’re playing on Thursday! 

Hopefully there will be nicely secreted micro-venue action for those of us entirely uninterested in going to bed at 4! And yes, given that I’m now accustomed to dancing to sunrise and then heading for the coach on Monday morning from the Farm, a midnight finish on Sunday is MENTAL!!! ?

Ben

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey gang

Just felt I had to come on quickly to post to say that, amongst other delights, I am beyond excited for Charlotte de Witte into Enrico Sangiuliano at Boomtown later this week.

And, for anyone partial to the 'good' side of psytrance, I think AudioFire's live set will be one of my highlights too!

Hopefully see some of the thread people on the Boomtown dance floors...

Ben
x

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hey gang

Just felt I had to come on quickly to post to say that, amongst other delights, I am beyond excited for Charlotte de Witte into Enrico Sangiuliano at Boomtown later this week.

And, for anyone partial to the 'good' side of psytrance, I think AudioFire's live set will be one of my highlights too!

Hopefully see some of the thread people on the Boomtown dance floors...

Ben
x

I'll be having a bit of that... I do dj a bit around Manchester and was playing techno at a night when a few of the tribe of frog psytrance gang were playing. Lorraine was very good - I will be watching her. If you like psytance, I recommend watching her. 

Not sure where you are in the country Ben, but Amelie Lens has announce a gig in Liverpool in November... some proper techno!

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

Just now, FuzzyDunlop said:

I'll be having a bit of that... I do dj a bit around Manchester and was playing techno at a night when a few of the tribe of frog psytrance gang were playing. Lorraine was very good - I will be watching her. If you like psytance, I recommend watching her. 

Not sure where you are in the country Ben, but Amelie Lens has announce a gig in Liverpool in November... some proper techno!

Worcestershire, Fuzz - so mainly Brum for going out, which can often be excellent, given the city's importance in the history of UK techno.

Liverpool is a bit of a trek, though have wanted to see Amelie for ages. Still agonising about a WHP with Dettman, Avery, Blawan, Skeemask...one of my Glastonbury mates pinged me a link and my little heart skipped a beat...!

Will defo check out Lorraine, cheers - I'm getting more into psytrance, not surprisingly the artists who play more at the 136bpm end of the genre, as I can dance to it 'properly'...just like techno but a bit more frenetic! I do struggle with the 140-144 stuff as it just means my feet are planted and it's general upper body gyration...nothing inherently wrong with that, but not quite the mesmeric immersion that I get in techno.

AudioFire live looks to be a great bet for me. Tempo of his live sets online is spot on, his track progression is excellent and the sound very techy. And he's not afraid to turn up the acid knob (technical term for you non-DJs...), which will alway get hands in the air from me...

Ben
x