Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

4 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Yeah field day absolutely fucked it with the barn and their crowd control this year. Gave up waiting for Four Tet after about 40 minutes and went to see Fever Ray instead 

Completely missed Fever Ray because I was a bit... you know

Yeah way too many people in that festival, sound was shit and the crowd was a bit iffy. Had fun but I dunno if i'd go again. Also Daphni played probably one of the most tragic sets I've ever seen.

Saw Fever Ray at Primavera and it was mental 

On the electronic front, Four Tet was tremendous again - I'm an enormous fan of his live show. Despite only being an hour, Nils Frahm blew me away. Dj Seinfeld played an absolutely banging sunset set down near the beach, Axel Boman - ABBA 002 as the sun started to disappear a serious moment. DJ Koze was a lot of fun, but I didn't stay right until the end. 

Got immersed in the Giegling showcase (I know) Friday night, proper mind altering stuff, on one of the best Soundsystems I've ever heard at any festival 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Completely missed Fever Ray because I was a bit... you know

Yeah way too many people in that festival, sound was shit and the crowd was a bit iffy. Had fun but I dunno if i'd go again. Also Daphni played probably one of the most tragic sets I've ever seen.

the more I think about the more badly organised it seems. The Barn was tiny, with only one entrance, but they’d put Four Tet, essentially the headliner, on there with only one other stage still going to split the crowd.

Anyway Fever Ray smashed it.

all points east have played a blinder with that suitcase of cash. not only did they do their own festival seemingly pretty well they forced the competition out to disasterous effects for said competition. Lovebox need to ensure they don't go down the pan after being forced out as well, although I expect they'll make a better go of it than field day did.

Edited by Memory Man

went to inner city electronic in Leeds on Saturday. Joy Orbison at hope house / cosmic slop was immense! Kink was pretty good but the venue they put him in isnt great and was rammed

went to see midland at wire but he decided to do a B2b with paul woolford which was quite frankly annoying considering he was billed to play alone and if he had just done his own set it would have been loads better. they dont suit a back to back and it was just dull.

if a b2b is billed then fine, but if its not, as a paying customer, I want to see what I have paid for not some whimsical thing you decided to do on the night that may turn out to be crap.

Edited by Memory Man

1 hour ago, JC-Mo'Fucka said:

The only issue for me was the sound.

Is that not a pretty massive issue though?

Isn't the headliner not being able to play a full set due to inadequate planning unacceptable to you?

Everyone has their own opinions but to be honest Field Day have so much experience running their event it is simply inexcusable. I think they should be held to account for their poor quality organisation. They will likely be on the look out for another venue change next year.

To be honest I think over the years they've done enough not to warrant a visit unless you happen to live a stones throw away from the venue. Put your hand in your pocket and go over to primavera where they know how to organise things properly and can play at acceptable volumes.

Edited by Memory Man

The sound wasn't great, but no worse than the majority of London festivals. 

You're completely right and i'm not denying they completely fucked it with that error, but as someone who didn't go to Four Tet, I left thinking they had done really well. That said, last year was twice as good because of the old barn. 

22 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

I'll be booming it up at the town this year.

Excellent!

Who have you got your eye on, Winslow (electronic-wise, naturally...!)?

Be keen to get recs from people who know some of the 'other' dance staff that they think I'd like, beyond the 'obvious' (I'm looking at you, Charlotte and Enrico...).

Ben

I too will be Booming this year - for the first time no less. It's for a mates stag-do so no idea what sort of state I'll be in.

I've also been looking for any recommendations electronic music wise - think I have Charlotte De Witte, Barely Legal, DJ Paypal (bit of footwork madness) Simian Mobile Disco, Dusky, Paul Wooflord, Altern8, Plastician, Oneman, not sure many of those will be to your tastes, I reckon I will actually just spend most of my time aimlessly wandering around and taking in the sights. If you do happen to see someone dressed up as David Bowie with dildos for hands then that will be the stag.

On 3/17/2018 at 1:02 PM, Matt42 said:

Corsica is a lot of fun. Make sure you bring earplugs because it’s v v loud. It’s honestly a very relaxed club but if you go on a very popular night it can feel a bit compressed. They definitely let too many people in on some nights

Yes, I'd 100% recommend earplugs for Corsica! We partnered with them recently to make high quality reusable earplugs always available buy behind the bar.

If you're interested in more about that, check out our campaign below. We're working with tonnes of festivals this summer, too!

https://allearscampaign.com/

To those who have done Dekmantel before, or are doing it this year... any thoughts on staying as close as possible to the festival (airport hotels I suppose) vs. staying closer to the center of the city? Obviously the convenience of being close to the festival is appealing, but maybe not as appealing as being closer to the rest of what Amsterdam has to offer. Leaning towards the latter at this point.

On 6/27/2018 at 4:57 PM, Time Being said:

To those who have done Dekmantel before, or are doing it this year... any thoughts on staying as close as possible to the festival (airport hotels I suppose) vs. staying closer to the center of the city? Obviously the convenience of being close to the festival is appealing, but maybe not as appealing as being closer to the rest of what Amsterdam has to offer. Leaning towards the latter at this point.

I've done both, and there's pros and cons really

stayed in the Tulip Inn Airport Hotel last year, 10 mins walk from the site. There's a free airport shuttle bus from outside the airport that goes on a loop around to all those hotels on that road, so getting there was easy, as was leaving when checking out. It was also very handy to be able to walk home after the festival finished, if you weren't going out for the night to any of the afterparties. Cons were that you're a decent bit out if you do decide to go out for the night, but you can just get the shuttle bus into the city after the festival, and Ubers back aren't expensive (taxis were, as we found out on the Thursday night!). The train goes from Centraal Station to the airport too, so it's easy enough going into the city, and getting back (although the airport shuttle bus stops in the evening, so have to get a taxi from the airport to the hotel at night). Also there isn't really any shops/cafes around, so you're basically forced to eat in the hotels, or at the festival site (food was pretty good at the festival TBF). Last year this kind of suited us, as we had been to Dekmantel the previous year, done all the touristy stuff, and were happy enough to just get up, eat, go to the festival, then go home when it finished at 11. we had tickets for Katharsis on the Saturday night, but were just too tired at 11 that we went back to the hotel and sat in the bar, there were plenty of other festivalers in there and had the craic with them.

the year before, we stayed about 15mins walk from the shuttle buses to the festival. good points were that there were shops around, so could stock up on stuff for the room, or in the morning/lunchtime go to a cafe. It also helped for going out after the festival finished. Most of our group went out to one of the official afterparties on the Friday, festival again Saturday then Katharsis after until 7am, then festival again on Sunday and out for a few beers after (a few went to the afterparty). If you want to explore the city a bit before going to the fesitval, or are planning on hitting the pubs/clubs after the festival, then it was great for that. Cons were that you were away from the festival, so it was a shuttle bus journey each day at a fiver a pop each way. There were taxis/ubers from the festival too, but the queues were pretty chaotic. We were all mostly knackered come Sunday morning from going out after the festival. The hotels closer to the city were also quite a bit more expensive from memory.

I probably preferred staying closer to the festival, but that might have been because it was a smaller group and less mental, had done the tourist stuff before, and weren't too bothered about going out after the festival on the Fri/Sat/Sun.