Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

1 hour ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Barcelona for the week of Sonar and Dekmantel for me :)

Hope all are well 

I’m still toying with the idea of doing Sonar, some mates got their tickets and stuff sorted today and have said there’s a sofa bed in the apartment for me should I need it. The wise move would be to not go, but wise isn’t always the most fun. 

1 hour ago, willsnewman said:

Think we've swayed to Dekmantel instead of Sonar this year. May do Houghton too. How long does Dekamntel usually take to sell out?

Dekmantel is pretty much instant, you have to pre-register and then be ready to buy on the day, not quite Glastonbury bad but I think they sell out of weekend 3 & 4 day tickets on day 1 of the sales.

The line up for Lost Village this year looks amazing, if I didn't have a friends wedding I would have been all over it. 

thing with lost village is it only goes on till 1/2am with not much else left to do after that other than go back to the campsite.

i dont mind it as you just start and finish earlier, but you wont be dancing all night through to sunrise, if thats what you're looking for.

it does lead to people being a bit loud & annoying in the campsites as the arena is shut down & people are still buzzing shall we say

food and drink wise it is really decent and the comedy & talks were pretty ace. it does kind of want to be a boutique festival and a rave all at the same time which is almost contradictory. but the lineup is SO good!

we also queued about 90 mins to 2 hours to get in on the thursday with all our stuff which is almost unfathomable when the capacity isnt even that big.

Edited by Memory Man

Was this the Alkan thing they did? Dekmantel do that to a certain extent as well, a load of the acts they announce end up playing a series of concerts around the city, so you  need to spend the extra money on a 4 day ticket (without knowing which acts are going to be doing the concert shows) and have absolutely no chance of seeing a some of the bigger live acts.

13 hours ago, willsnewman said:

Mmhmmmmmmm. Hopefully they still have it this year. Been to many Glasgow nights recently Mez? Coming to Four Tet?

What's the general opinion of Lost Village? Line up is bon nice but what about everything else?

Yep il be there Will, haven't been out much though. Plannings and bookings for Barcelona and Dekmantel have consumed most of my cash. Four Tet and Nils Frahm coming up though which is much to look forward to. 

Glad to see Jennifer Cardini playing subclub in a couple of weeks, should be my first outing of the year there 

11 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Yep il be there Will, haven't been out much though. Plannings and bookings for Barcelona and Dekmantel have consumed most of my cash. Four Tet and Nils Frahm coming up though which is much to look forward to. 

Glad to see Jennifer Cardini playing subclub in a couple of weeks, should be my first outing of the year there 

Yeh I saw that. May venture down. Trying to take it easy as it's been a bit hefty for me since new year. Trying to up my djing game so late nights have been a wee bit too regular... Will also be at Nils, super keen for that.

On 26/01/2018 at 7:17 AM, eFestivals said:

no mention of Lost Village announcing acts that can't be seen with a festival ticket?

Very fucking naughty that was. Some might say it was "bait and switch", which is a criminal act.

are you talking about soulwax from last year?

If so then fair comment although it ended up being a free for all anyway in the end. They were also announced much later on than the first announcement. No one in their announcement made last week will have that this year and i'd be surprised if that amazon music thing gets repeated this year anywhere. Happened at bluedot with Leftfield and people kicked off and again it ended up being a free for all.

Edited by Memory Man

Pretty set on Houghton. Of the names I know on the line up I absolutely love it. Can someone give me an idea of what kind of vibe the line up gives them as a lot of the names are unfamiliar to me..? To me it all seems super interesting left field (not the stage or the band) kind of music and everything else under the sun? Could be wrong of course. I thought I knew my djs...

Edited by willsnewman

15 minutes ago, willsnewman said:

Pretty set on Houghton. Of the names I know on the line up I absolutely love it. Can someone give me an idea of what kind of vibe the line up gives them as a lot of the names are unfamiliar to me..? To me it all seems super interesting left field (not the stage or the band) kind of music and everything else under the sun? Could be wrong of course. I thought I knew my djs...

So it's pretty big on the minimal scene (my favourite type of music). Expect very stripped back techno and house... djs playing very very long sets... deep crate digging.

Out of the lineup my personal suggestions would be (in alphabetical order)

Barac, Ben UFO, Call Super, Claro Intelecto, Conforce, DMX Krew, Gatto Fritto, Ivan Smagghe, Jane Fitz, Josh Tweek, Joy Orbison, Luca Lozano, Lukas Wigflex, Margaret Dygas (who i'd highly reccomend), Mathew Jonson, Midland, The Mole, Nicolas Lutz, Objekt, Oli Silva, Pearson Sound, Ricardo Villalobos, Saorise, Shanti Celeste, Sonja Moonear, Voigtmann, Vladimir Ivkovic, Zip.

Check out those and see what you like :) But i'd highly recommend all of them. 

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So it's pretty big on the minimal scene (my favourite type of music). Expect very stripped back techno and house... djs playing very very long sets... deep crate digging.

Out of the lineup my personal suggestions would be (in alphabetical order)

Barac, Ben UFO, Call Super, Claro Intelecto, Conforce, DMX Krew, Gatto Fritto, Ivan Smagghe, Jane Fitz, Josh Tweek, Joy Orbison, Luca Lozano, Lukas Wigflex, Margaret Dygas (who i'd highly reccomend), Mathew Jonson, Midland, The Mole, Nicolas Lutz, Objekt, Oli Silva, Pearson Sound, Ricardo Villalobos, Saorise, Shanti Celeste, Sonja Moonear, Voigtmann, Vladimir Ivkovic, Zip.

Check out those and see what you like :) But i'd highly recommend all of them. 

Well you've sold it to me. Already a big fan of several of those. :) going to be listening non stop to catch up.

1 hour ago, willsnewman said:

Well you've sold it to me. Already a big fan of several of those. :) going to be listening non stop to catch up.

Yes! 

I didn't make it last year but i'm so determined to this time around. 24hr licence and extended DJ sets. It will be cracking

Houghton has definitely dug out a bit of a niche for itself and it should be commended for that.

One thing that seems to be happening this year in festival land is nothing at all shocking or surprising though. Probably half to 2/3rds of houghton's lineup played last year. Parklife looks like the exact same festival every year. Lost village is very similar to last year. Bluedot is fairly similar. The sheer volume of events has segmented the market into fairly narrow niche's which leaves little room for adventurous or surprising bookings or much crossover of genres. In a completely separate area of the market, Green Man and End of the Road are basically the same festival every year.

just a few rambling thoughts! I think its why I love glastonbury so much, you can move between areas / genres and festivals in one place. In one afternoon / evening. 

Edited by Memory Man

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

Houghton has definitely dug out a bit of a niche for itself and it should be commended for that.

One thing that seems to be happening this year in festival land is nothing at all shocking or surprising though. Probably half to 2/3rds of houghton's lineup played last year. Parklife looks like the exact same festival every year. Lost village is very similar to last year. Bluedot is fairly similar. The sheer volume of events has segmented the market into fairly narrow niche's which leaves little room for adventurous or surprising bookings or much crossover of genres. In a completely separate area of the market, Green Man and End of the Road are basically the same festival every year.

just a few rambling thoughts! I think its why I love glastonbury so much, you can move between areas / genres and festivals in one place. In one afternoon / evening. 

Houghton is about creating a family vibe though. It’s basically Craig Richards’s party and he has a say on every act that is booked. I think houghton will have repeats because it will be filled full of djs given the stamp of approval by Craig.

i’m totally fine with Ben UFO, Sonja Moonear, Margaret Dygas, Voigtmann, Villalobos etc coming back every year because when they want to... they absolutely fucking bring it.