Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

5 hours ago, Tuna said:

So that's me done for the year. Not a vintage one for nights out, really. Need to start getting down to smaller venues again. Been to Corsica 3 or 4 times in the past few months and it's just so horrendously oversold it's beyond fun. Same with a lot of those mid-large clubs in London: Bussey Building, XOYO, all far too busy to enjoy.

Went to Bussey on a friday a few weeks ago and it was half empty. Tbh the Black Madonna at York Hall on saturday started out with a good size crowd that pretty much halved throughout the night despite the fact that she was absolutely fucking smashing it.

Big up to the efester that came to my gig at the nest on Friday.

here is a recording of my set from that night. Warts n’ all... if anyone fancies a 1:30 techno journey.

atone showcase is now gonna be a regular show at the nest in dalston so anyone London based who fancies coming down lemme know :)

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Tuna said:

So that's me done for the year. Not a vintage one for nights out, really. Need to start getting down to smaller venues again. Been to Corsica 3 or 4 times in the past few months and it's just so horrendously oversold it's beyond fun. Same with a lot of those mid-large clubs in London: Bussey Building, XOYO, all far too busy to enjoy.

Very very true. Its rare you find a party with much space to dance anywhere these days, if it has "name" DJ's.

Its a real shame. Always going to be even more difficult in london too.

16 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Went to Bussey on a friday a few weeks ago and it was half empty. Tbh the Black Madonna at York Hall on saturday started out with a good size crowd that pretty much halved throughout the night despite the fact that she was absolutely fucking smashing it.

Why did it get quieter / less busy? Do you think people were using it as a starting point of a night out before going somewhere else? I quite enjoy the idea of going to something on a saturday between 4pm and 11pm, more places should do it!

Edited by Memory Man

any of you lot been oval space recently I've heard so many mixed reviews but I'm going down on 22nd for Fengler and Vrilski and thought you guys might have a few comments on it? This year I haven't really gone anywhere apart from my local dingy sweaty basement that is  The Brickworks in Nottingham. Fantastic venue though, especially when the Wigflex events are on and they get the likes of Overmono, Call Super, Helena Hauff and Objekt.

4 hours ago, joemason96 said:

any of you lot been oval space recently I've heard so many mixed reviews but I'm going down on 22nd for Fengler and Vrilski and thought you guys might have a few comments on it? This year I haven't really gone anywhere apart from my local dingy sweaty basement that is  The Brickworks in Nottingham. Fantastic venue though, especially when the Wigflex events are on and they get the likes of Overmono, Call Super, Helena Hauff and Objekt.

My mates live across the road from Oval Space and really like it as a venue, I’ve never been myself but I’ve only heard good things. 

6 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Very very true. Its rare you find a party with much space to dance anywhere these days, if it has "name" DJ's.

Its a real shame. Always going to be even more difficult in london too.

Nothing worse than an oversold night is there, I hate it when you spend half your night either getting bumped around or having to let people through the crowd. 

4 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

My mates live across the road from Oval Space and really like it as a venue, I’ve never been myself but I’ve only heard good things. 

Nice one cheers mate sounds good, had a few dodgy nights in london that have been way too packed and not my sort of crowds so very excited for this one!

also while i'm here anyone got any good glasto alternatives for this year? Last year was fantastic and i'm still yet to fill that gap

Really enjoyed secret garden party  and lost village this year and i've been eyeing up a few like Farr festival, gottwood which so far has some lovely line up announcements. Also only just found out about noisily which looks like quite nice vibes but a bit too much psytrance for me haha.

Oh and Houghton festival, gutted i gave that one a miss this year but finances restricted me...

Edited by joemason96
Houghton

9 hours ago, Ammonite said:

Is there much old skool at Glastonbury? Acid house, rave, piano classic type stuff.

yep, plenty. you'll often find some of the names of that classic late 80s/90s era playing at Glastonbury too.

some acts that have played in the last few years: 808 State, Phuture, Kevin Saunderson, A Guy Called Gerald, Masters At Work, Felix Dickinson, Roger Sanchez, DJ Pierre and probably loads more i've forgotten.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

they guy(s) who do lots of the booking for Oval Space and Pickle Factory had been up in Leeds for many years and know their stuff (can vouch for them personally) so expect many an interesting lineup in the years to come.

17 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Nothing worse than an oversold night is there, I hate it when you spend half your night either getting bumped around or having to let people through the crowd. 

yeah its the worst, especially if you've paid a fair chunk of money to be there. Feels like you're being ripped off and the promoters are raking it in. I think its the price we have paid for everything becoming about who is on the lineup rather than to which club you're going to.

DJs and their agents obviously don't help with their at times insane fee demands. the scene is only going more commercial and its getting tiresome. Seek out your local smaller niche parties and you'll have a better night most of the time. Thankfully we still have cosmic slop and love muscle in leeds that are run for the right reasons by excellent people who care.

On the other hand i think I sometimes enjoy festivals that bit more as you can usually find yourself a bit more space to dance than in a club.

Edited by Memory Man

On 19/12/2017 at 3:07 PM, joemason96 said:

Yeah go quite a lot, it's alright as a club venue (sound is fine), but if you can get to the Pickle Factory over the road, do so. Often they open both for big nights. Oval Space is a pretty cool venue itself, and attracts a half decent crowd. Prefer PF though.

On 12/20/2017 at 9:51 AM, ghostdancer1 said:

yep, plenty. you'll often find some of the names of that classic late 80s/90s era playing at Glastonbury too.

some acts that have played in the last few years: 808 State, Phuture, Kevin Saunderson, A Guy Called Gerald, Masters At Work, Felix Dickinson, Roger Sanchez, DJ Pierre and probably loads more i've forgotten.

Josh Wink.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dekmantel line-up is ridiculous as usual:

A.R.E. - Shabaka Hutchings, Hieroglyphic Being & Sarathy Korwar
Alessandro Cortini
An-i (live)
DJ Bone
Broken English Club (live)
Bruxas
Call Super
Carista
Carl Craig presents Versus Synthesizer Ensemble
Cashu
Charlotte Bendiks
Clara 3000
Clark presents Death Peak
Dam-Funk (solo live)
Daniele Baldelli
Daphni
Dazion (live)
Dekmantel Soundsystem
Detroit In Effect (live)
Donato Dozzy
DVS1
Ece Özel & Zozo
Elena Colombi
Errorsmith (live)
Fixmer & McCarthy (live)
Floating Points (dj)
Four Tet (live)
Gesloten Cirkel (live)
Gilb'R & Max Abysmal
Goldie & DJ Randall - Metalheadz Classics
Halal & Relaxer (live)
Helena Hauff
Identified Patient
Insanlar
Jah Shaka
James Holden & The Animal Spirits
Jamie xx
Jasper Wolff & Maarten Mittendorff
JASSS
Job Sifre
John Maus
John Talabot
Joy Orbison
Juju & Jordash & Shawn Rudiman (live)
Karen Gwyer (live)
Khidja
Laraaji
Lena Willikens
LSD - Function, Luke Slater & Steve Bicknell (live)
Mafalda
Mama Snake & Solid Blake
Mariel Ito
Mark Ernestus' Ndagga Rhythm Force (live)
Matrixxman
Modeselektor (dj)
Mount Kimbie (live)
Mr. Scruff
DJ Nobu
Objekt
OKO DJ
Optimo
Or:la
Orbital (live)
Oscar Mulero
Palmbomen II (live)
Palms Trax
Pan Daijing
Parrish Smith
Patrick Russell
Phase Fatale (live)
Phuong-Dan
Powder
Raime (live)
Randomer
Regis & Veronica Vasicka
Ricardo Villalobos
Rødhåd
Samuel Kerridge (live)
Sassy J
Selvagem
Shackleton (live)
Shanti Celeste
Silent Servant
Skatebård
Source Direct & Special Request
Space Dimension Controller (live)
Stanislav Tolkachev (live)
Steffi
DJ Stingray
Tangerine Dream
Terry & Gyan Riley
The Advent (90s electro set)
The Bug (ft. Miss Red) (live)
Thundercat
Tim Hecker
Tolouse Low Trax (live)
Tom Trago
Unit Moebius (live)
Varg (live)
Voiski (live)
Volition Immanent (live)
Woody
Xosar (live)
Yasuaki Shimizu
Young Marco (live)
Yves Tumor

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

that is a beauty. I want to go! any tips of where is best to stay from those that have been before?

You can camp onsite, or use one of the pre-erected jobs I think. We stayed at a place called the Westcord Fashion hotel which ended up being 'relatively' cheap, you can cycle into the site if you want to as well, just worth considering that the festival site is in the middle of nowhere and can end up costing a lot in cab fares. I would absolutely recommend the festival to anyone though, great site, great vibe and great crowds. 

I'm liking the look of Farr as a fairly cheap local festival this year, I have a friends stag do the weekend after Dekmantel this year so no chance I will be able to go sadly. 

Edited by Matt - Ed Banger Records

2 years ago we stayed in Amsterdam Zuid, halfway between the city centre, and the festival site. the shuttle buses go from beside Zuid train/metro station, so it worked out pretty good.

last year we stayed in one of the airport hotels about 5mins walk from the festival site, Tulip Inn Amsterdam Airport. very handy for the festival, although there's basically nothing around the area except a few hotels. if you wanted to head into the city after the festival you could get the shuttles. getting back at night was a bit of an issue, but the metro goes to the airport regularly, and there's a free shuttle bus from the airport to the hotels along that road (takes about 15mins), or a taxi from the airport to the hotel was about €20.