Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

2 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

If I can't get into the SE Corner to watch Blawan I will be weeping hot salty tears, a lot of the dance line up so far hasn't exactly been to my tastes to be fair, I'm sure I'll find stuff to watch though!

Talk to me, Matt

Are you more in my camp - proper fuck-off techno?

Ben

4 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I like the idea of Beat Hotel/Wow until 2:30/3:00 then seeing the night out down Bloc9 or The Common. Most of my mates who aren't into tunes usually tail off around 3 bells so usually ends up with only a few of us who'd be more than happy to make the late trek.

There will plenty of us lot there, Thomas.

:)

Ben

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Talk to me, Matt

Are you more in my camp - proper fuck-off techno?

Ben

I like all sorts of stuff, depends on what sort of time of day it's on - I sometimes find some techno a bit lacking in texture, when I DJ I like to mix all types of stuff, but all the deep house, tech house all sounds a bit vacuous and samey to me. Once we have a full idea of the DJ line up I will furnish this thread with the people I will be aiming to see! 

Just now, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

I like all sorts of stuff, depends on what sort of time of day it's on - I sometimes find some techno a bit lacking in texture, when I DJ I like to mix all types of stuff, but all the deep house, tech house all sounds a bit vacuous and samey to me. Once we have a full idea of the DJ line up I will furnish this thread with the people I will be aiming to see! 

I can't wait to see everyone's individual 'dance schedules' on here!

Ben

Long time lurker, I'm going to start posting a bit more cos I'm reading this thread daily. Any chance the black madonna will be playing this year? I saw her at DeSchool in Amsterdam and she was incredible. Highlights for me so far are Sasha & Diggers, Heidi & paranoid London. Counting down the days!!

7 minutes ago, mattuk said:

Long time lurker, I'm going to start posting a bit more cos I'm reading this thread daily. Any chance the black madonna will be playing this year? I saw her at DeSchool in Amsterdam and she was incredible. Highlights for me so far are Sasha & Diggers, Heidi & paranoid London. Counting down the days!!

You're very welcome to the thread, matt, and in good company as Matt is almost a mandatory name in the thread!

Don't know if BM will be back. She's obviously perfect for NYC, but could easily play Beat or Temple too. 

I'm really looking forward to Heidi too. Wonder if rumour of London Underground was correct. It'd be fun and sweaty in there at one of her sets...

Ben

31 minutes ago, mattuk said:

I've seen on Twitter and that she's moved to London this year so I just assumed she'd be at NYC Downlow but nothing announced so far.

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

I'm sure you're both absolutely correct.

Essentially, the dance heads will benefit from having many more options. Self-centredly, my issue is that I'm not nearly as happy as many of you dancing to more poppy disco stuff - not having a go, I promise, I'm just such a techno devotee...

So, exciting a development as this is, I know that if there is someone I really want to see on at 0200h in the SEC up against someone that is 'fine' for me but not particularly pushing my buttons, then down the Railway Track I will have to go.

I have no doubt that the hordes that flock to the SEC pretty much only because it's 'what you do' will continue to do so in the same numbers as ever. As said earlier, as long as I can get into what I want in Block 9 and The Common then I'll be super happy.

My only real worry is the Temple. I love Genosys so much, but I know that I can 'always' get to it. I'm worried that the new and improved Temple will attract even more people just to 'have a look'. I shouldn't be such a horrendous dance snob, but the night time at Glastonbury is such an important part of my year, let alone my festival, that if it means me getting where I 'need' to be then your casual 'oooh, let's go and have a little boogie' bods who don't really give a shit about dance music for 360 nights of the year can, quite frankly, fuck right off!

I'm entirely ready for the deserved comebacks of me being an elitist snob and I'll take them on the chin, but bugger me these 4-5 nights are vital!

Ben

Not sure why I'm even reading the electronics/dance thread as it's generally not my cup of tea and not something I know much about.  But I can't help but feel the undertone here is that only true house/techno heads should enjoy SEC and that everyone else is just there coz it's "what you do". I disagree. I've had some brilliant, memorable nights in SEC without having a clue who the DJ is. For some people (me) the music is only one part of the late night experience. I love the theatre, the drama, the laughter, the hidden gems, the music, the lights, the venues, the art, the politics, the wit... I hope that doesn't mean i have any less right to be there. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, fionajm777 said:

Not sure why I'm even reading the electronics/dance thread as it's generally not my cup of tea and not something I know much about.  But I can't help but feel the undertone here is that only true house/techno heads should enjoy SEC and that everyone else is just there coz it's "what you do". I disagree. I've had some brilliant, memorable nights in SEC without having a clue who the DJ is. For some people (me) the music is only one part of the late night experience. I love the theatre, the drama, the laughter, the hidden gems, the music, the lights, the venues, the art, the politics, the wit... I hope that doesn't mean i have any less right to be there. 

I think it's long been a grumble about that part of the site, lots of people simply shuffle through for a look without taking part in anything, I think with an area like that if you're getting involved and enjoying things then have at it - there are similar grumbles about the Pyramid picnic brigade. I don't think it's a slight on those people, guess it can be mildly frustrating when you can't get into the small capacity arenas for things you really want to see when there people who are in there not dancing and just ticking off a box. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, fionajm777 said:

Not at all, Fiona, and I added the caveat to my post that it could easily come across in the wrong way. Matt articulated it much better than me. 

I don't believe anyone has any more or less 'right' right to be in the SEC than anyone else, of course. I just sometimes get disproportionately frustrated as it means so very much to me. It's my issue to resolve and I know that!

And you're very welcome in the thread, of course. We're not here to be in anyway elitist or superior. We're here because we love to dance to electronic music...and that's always much better when there's a like-minded crowd around you!

Ben

• Upvote 1

Ok that makes me think there's a high chance she'll be playing whether that's Thursday or Saturday surely it's nailed on if she's in London. I absolutely loved the late night stuff in 2015, can't wait to immerse myself in it again.... there's a lot of names I don't recognise so I'll be spending the next few weeks working my way theough them and figuring out who I want to see.