Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

6 hours ago, Matt42 said:

also, I admit I was not always a dance head :P things change and people change tastes all the time.

had a friend who was really into house / techno, showed me a few acts and took me to a few events and I guess I just warmed to it :)

On 12/14/2015 at 11:41 AM, Tuna said:

My bet is a chemical-induced epiphany

Ding ding ding, we have a winner

18 hours ago, zero000 said:

Anyone go to the bicep WHP last weekend? I thought Heidi and bicep were great. Enjoyed Dettman too, but he had a bit of shit slot.

yeah i did! had a good time but wasnt the best night ever. on paper the lineup was unbelievable but when you have clashes, short sets, finding your mates and precious little space to dance..... plus the room 2 sound wasnt right good.

Bicep were really good but it was so rammed in there.... when Heidi played tom trago use me again last i lost it! wicked tune that never gets old!

i wanted to see black madonna as well but the clash with Ben and Jack meant i only caught the tail end. I just prefer small clubs now less hassle longer sets.... WHP is a bit of a con really.

On 11/12/2015 at 10:19 PM, Mezhyp1 said:

Might well go along, cheers Matt

Have any of you ever been to Bloc? The line up is tremendous this year, but it's in minehead butlins? Would like to hear about it before I committed to anything

I went to bloc 2015, would highly reccomend! go for a silver chalet with kitchen as a minimum tho as not having a kitchen is shite and anything lower than silver accomodation wise is pretty rank.

if you can get 4 in a silver kitchen chalet (or up!) you will have a belting time.

obviously its a pretty far trek for most people, we got down to bristol from leeds on the train and then our friends drove us the rest of the way. otherwise there are good coaches put on from london, manchester and bristol (& airport) i think.

The swimming pool & slides are great for chilling out and a trip into the town is a must just for marvelling ironically at how crap british seaside towns are. you can get some cheap pub food, we found a buffet curry on the friday night before hitting the festival in the eve.

the crowd are mostly very friendly and up for it, in a nice way. you can't bring your own booze onto site and if they find any in your car or anything it will be taken off you. This a butlins rule. Its a rule everyone hates but they do have a reasonably priced and well stocked spar on site so you wont go thirsty in your chalet. it is honestly not that expensive once you're on site if you cook your own food and drink in your chalet and sometimes from the bars

Edited by Memory Man

On 12/22/2015 at 0:15 PM, bennyhana22 said:

I was wondering, have they ever had anyone play a live set at Arcadia at Glastonbury? I'm guessing it might be too much of a faff, as they'd have to set up different equipment, rather than the seamless transition from DJ to DJ that they have now. Just thinking that there would be a few people who would be amazing playing live from the heart of the spider...

Ben

21 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

I don't know for sure if they've had live acts, but Arcadia has changed over the years, and it did used to have a stage, so if be surprised if they'd never had a live act. 

They certainly had live acts while it was down in the SE corner... I remember seeing Freeland play it back in 2009.  Maybe they stopped when they moved it into the main body of the festival though?

9 hours ago, Memory Man said:

yeah i did! had a good time but wasnt the best night ever. on paper the lineup was unbelievable but when you have clashes, short sets, finding your mates and precious little space to dance..... plus the room 2 sound wasnt right good.

Bicep were really good but it was so rammed in there.... when Heidi played tom trago use me again last i lost it! wicked tune that never gets old!

i wanted to see black madonna as well but the clash with Ben and Jack meant i only caught the tail end. I just prefer small clubs now less hassle longer sets.... WHP is a bit of a con really.

Yeah I agree. I found it slightly disappointing. I ended up missing all of Weatherall too due to the clashes

Didn't realise that's what it was, what a cracker! 

Black Madonna was great I thought. Watched a bit of Ben UFO and Jackmaster, but I found it a bit pretentious and po faced.

Any triumphs from last night? I saw George FitzGerald the other night and it was absolutely fantastic, tops off a while of listening to his magnificent record with a DJ set to boot. Managed to pick up a late ticket to Todd Terje last night and it didn't disappoint, fantastic way to bring in the new year

Few of my mates with a lot thicker skin than me are in their way down to Manchester for WHP today, big line up, should be massive 

On 27 December 2015 at 6:42 PM, Tuna said:

caved and got a hydra nyd ticket. i'll be the guy chatting shit

How did you find it? Maybe it's because I went with a big group of people, but that was a weird one for me. Incredible venue though!

20 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Any triumphs from last night? I saw George FitzGerald the other night and it was absolutely fantastic, tops off a while of listening to his magnificent record with a DJ set to boot. Managed to pick up a late ticket to Todd Terje last night and it didn't disappoint, fantastic way to bring in the new year

Few of my mates with a lot thicker skin than me are in their way down to Manchester for WHP today, big line up, should be massive 

Adam Beyer at the tobacco dock was the biggest surprise for me. Seen him before so he was the one I was least excited for, but he absolutely killed it

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

How did you find it? Maybe it's because I went with a big group of people, but that was a weird one for me. Incredible venue though!

Really good, set times were a little unfortunate - Move D in room 2 1-3 was good, but got really busy. At other times, it was just soooo empty. Marcus Worgull was really good, and Ame really surprised me - don't really rate the innervisions stuff normally but the live set was sick. Stayed for about 30 minutes of Jeremy Underground, then some of the group was flagging. Yeah, weird one - I really enjoyed it though. Fucking Talabot at 7-9 is so annoying. He was like 2-4 or something last year and it was so perfect.

46 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Really good, set times were a little unfortunate - Move D in room 2 1-3 was good, but got really busy. At other times, it was just soooo empty. Marcus Worgull was really good, and Ame really surprised me - don't really rate the innervisions stuff normally but the live set was sick. Stayed for about 30 minutes of Jeremy Underground, then some of the group was flagging. Yeah, weird one - I really enjoyed it though. Fucking Talabot at 7-9 is so annoying. He was like 2-4 or something last year and it was so perfect.

Was at the bugged out day party at the Old Queens Head and tempted by Hydra for afters... Until I saw the set times. Talabot was so good last year but no way could I have managed to 7am, remember massively flagging for Dixon in the same slot. Ame for only an hour as well. Glad you had fun though, if I hadn't had such a early start reckon I'd have still have made it. 

It was a fun day as usual but made the mistake of staying past past its peak as we weren't going on. Crowd got really strange - beat a very hasty exit about an hour before it finished. 

Didnt make it to a single Hydra event this year. Had tickets for Dekmantel but sold on due to ridiculous work pressure... Need to remedy with a proper night soon! 

12 minutes ago, Tuna said:

I feel ya. I've gotta slow it down - been spending way too much, and it's dissertation time :(

You're telling me, I've got a 20k masters project due in 2 weeks that I haven't looked at...

That said anyone (specifically Fuzzy) know if Transmission in Manchester is happening this year? There's a fair few albert hall club nights announced but no signs of them being WHP related.
Gonna go that ANTS night as it looks great and the Hacienda one as I feel like I've got to try stuff from that era at some point

5 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Im obviously in a minority here, but I find LCD a bit bland to be honest

I'm surprised, I think they are tremendous, have you seen them live before? They are great fun live, I've never seen them at a festival mind you 

I'm trying not to get overly excited about the prospect of Despacio returning, as much as I would love it to happen, I don't know how likely I consider it 

8 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Im obviously in a minority here, but I find LCD a bit bland to be honest

Blasphemy!  They are unbelievable live, can think of nobody I'd rather see than them at Glasto, even though I've not listened to them on record much for a couple of years.

On another note, new Bonobo album coming in 2016, gotta be a shoe-in for another Glasto appearance...?

I didn't really enjoy them that much on record (LCD Soundsystem) until I saw them at Glastonbury in 2010, they were brilliant and then I saw them again at Bestival and they were even better. I think I went from having not seen them ever to seeing them 4 times in 2010 and they impressed me every single time - great fun to watch.