Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

I actually managed to miss a load of the electronic stuff I had planned on seeing, either due to tents being massively overcrowded (Wow! & Beat Hotel) or by simply being in the wrong part of the site at the wrong time and not being arsed to go across - did have a cracking time at the Bugged Out party up in Stonebridge on the Friday though, and Nic Fanciulli was excellent - I think the biggest let down of the festival DJ wise was Pierre - did anyone go to see him at the NYC Downlow?

I think the biggest let down of the festival DJ wise was Pierre - did anyone go to see him at the NYC Downlow?

I planned to, but I couldn't be bothered with queuing and decided to watch a man dressed as a woman as a pig. It was hideous.

Saw JESuS on Thursday night after Cerrone in the Genosys (sound was dreadful in Block 9) and a bit of Nic Fanciulli.

Friday was epic... After Ben Pearce earlier in the day, Caribou and the awesome Hot Chip, I was fairly Gillespied at Dave Seaman and then went to the Bugged Out thing with Ben UFO, Joy Orbison, Hot Chip DJs etc in Stonebridge.

Saturday night I opted for Todd Terje, Spiritualized, Leftfield and then Nick Warren in Spaceport, who I thought was brilliant, although again I was in such good form it could've been a goat playing the spoons and I'd have loved it.... couldn't get into Block 9 or Shangri La after that because of crowds so ended up in The Common.

Sunday night my feet were fucked so after Chemical Brothers I could barely move at 2 Many DJs.

Wee bit disappointed I didn't get to spend more time in Shangri La, The Beat Hotel or The Temple but there is just so much to see and do and sometimes you just have to miss out!

Edited by Space Shanty

I planned to, but I couldn't be bothered with queuing and decided to watch a man dressed as a woman as a pig. It was hideous.

It was really bizarre, they did a drag show before he came on, with the usual camp classics which was a good bit of fun, then he started about half an hour late and stuck with the same sort of vibe - when he actually got going the mixing was appalling, didn't hear one well beat matched track in the hour we spent in there so we ditched out and headed to see JESuS, I say 'see' we stood outside the tent and had a dance while getting knocked about by a load of drunk teens leaving the tent.

Didn't do too badly this year. Managed to get in to Prosumer at the Downlow radio room, but it was far too hot/packed to actually enjoy it all that much, despite how great Prosumer is.
Thursday was a treat, Man Power kicked things off nicely in the Beat Hotel and then later on enjoyed Kon and Cerrone even though it was let down by the sound, Jesus was silly rammed, so opted again for Beat Hotel, where Gerd Janson b2b Ata was an absolute delight. 
Went for it on Friday, caught almost an hour of Beyond The Wizard's sleeve, which I really didn't want to leave, but couldn't miss Run The Jewels, later on, watched Phuture live, then powered through till the early morning with Erol's acid set at Genosys. Sat I pretty much decided i'd had enough after getting into Shangri-la, so called quits on that one, and Sunday I spent my last hours dancing away to Dauwd, followed by my favourite set (dj wise) of the weekend Michael Mayer b2b Barnt in The Beat Hotel. 

Gerd B2B Ata was really really good. So was the Stonebridge Hessle Audio takeover (until Hot Chip came on, that was not good). Got to see the last couple hours of the Kompact takeover, which was so good. Ending the festival on This Must be the Place was ace. Also really rated Tama Sumo in NYC downlow - less so Four Tet on Genosys though. Bad selections, bad sound. Somehow didn't see Prosumer even though he played about 30 times!

Also, I must say that despite the rain the Hessle Audio Boat Party was ace, some absolutely monster tracks that had me a number of times turning to my mate saying 'what in the world is this track called' then they dropped Blawan 'Getting me Down' - I lost my shit and left shortly afterwards to meet my mates for Mary J Blige.

Beat Hotel was amazing this year. Whenever we had a down moment spent a little time there and it always picked us right up. Agree Gerd B2B Ata especially good. Was also at Stonebridge Bugged Out for Ben UFO etc. Such a shame I wouldn't recognize any faces from here - would have been ace to say hello!

Gave up on Shangri La this year. Just too busy to be fun.

Thursday night - Gerd Janson @ The Beat Hotel

Friday night - Maceo Plex, Pan-pot and Adam Beyer @ Arcadia

Saturday night - Prosumer & Four Tet @ Genosys

Sunday night - Kompakt @ The Beat Hotel

All brilliant!  And all suffered for on the day after...

Beat Hotel was amazing this year. Whenever we had a down moment spent a little time there and it always picked us right up. Agree Gerd B2B Ata especially good. Was also at Stonebridge Bugged Out for Ben UFO etc. Such a shame I wouldn't recognize any faces from here - would have been ace to say hello!

Gave up on Shangri La this year. Just too busy to be fun.

I drunkenly asked a few people I got chatting to if they used eFestivals at all at the Bugged Out thing, was met with a blank stare every single time so I gave up after about 7 or 8 people. I did however bump into a mate from college that I hadn't seen for more than 10 years so that was random, then I kept on bumping into him throughout the festival.

Maybe it's time we started using pictures of our own faces....

Wasn't there a thread a few years back where people were encouraged to post a picture of them at Glastonbury? I would do a search but realistically it would take ages and I'm not sure how much more procrastination my work will tolerate.

I hardly got to annnny of my late night planned shenanigans (also I never thanked you Tuna for giving me a wee list of people I should try and get to, so thank you!). No one I was with was really keen on the late night dancin' so I tended to be in my tent by no later than 3. But the tent is always pretty close to the Beat Hotel so it's rather nice falling asleep to the sounds (I think I fell asleep to Erol Alkan playing Lemonade one night...). Did get my fair share of dancing in though. Jon Hopkins blew ma wellies off.

Next year I will find someone to come and party with me into the early hours. Still had an incredible time this year without doing that though.

Edit: Also agree on the odd sound (or lack of) at Genosys. Went to see Cerrone and it was fun but so quiet. FlyLo on the other hand needs to have a word with his sound engineer regarding bass levels...

Edited by willsnewman

I hardly got to annnny of my late night planned shenanigans (also I never thanked you Tuna for giving me a wee list of people I should try and get to, so thank you!). No one I was with was really keen on the late night dancin' so I tended to be in my tent by no later than 3. But the tent is always pretty close to the Beat Hotel so it's rather nice falling asleep to the sounds (I think I fell asleep to Erol Alkan playing Lemonade one night...). Did get my fair share of dancing in though. Jon Hopkins blew ma wellies off.

Next year I will find someone to come and party with me into the early hours. Still had an incredible time this year without doing that though.

Edit: Also agree on the odd sound (or lack of) at Genosys. Went to see Cerrone and it was fun but so quiet. FlyLo on the other hand needs to have a word with his sound engineer regarding bass levels...

Yeah the sound during Cerrone was abysmal, made all the more ridiculous by Cerrone himself not realising this and giving it loads in his wee glass booth!

Saw a lot throughout an incredible weekend. Thanks to all for contributions to this thread.

Started off with Kon into Cerrone on Thursday and couldn't help laughing at myself a bit for worrying that the field might be at capacity (as it was nowhere near such). Was pretty surprised there was no live band as I was positive it had been billed that way. Despite the low sound still had a great time. I guess they had sound restrictions for Thursday night for that part of the site. Definitely not over at Circo Loco which was going off in a much bigger way for our later portion of the night.

Caribou the next night was fun but we found the crowd to be a bit inconsiderate (drunk/young).

Friday late night was spent largely exploring any nook and cranny we could find in the SE corner. A weirdly unexpected highlight that we kept returning to throughout the weekend was the hexagonal open-air hangout area in the middle of Shangri La with the tiered benches. Great place to stop for a smoke, rest the legs for a few, and probably not much better people-watching anywhere in the world as far as I'm concerned. Returned there at least once a night the rest of the weekend.

Todd Terje was our most anticipated set of the weekend and him and the band far exceeded expectations. It was an absolute blast. Then it was over to Beat Hotel for George Fitzgerald, which was another major highlight. The atmosphere was lovely inside since it was during the headliners and we were shocked upon leaving at how much it had filled up over the course of the set. Found the SE corner to be rammed to the point of non-functionality during Saturday night but maybe that was just us having 'peaked' too early for the night if you will.

On Sunday night it was Flying Lotus which was delightfully empty but I also can't help but wonder if that is a downer to the performers. Anyways loved having the space to dance while still being close enough to see the visual show. Also being at West Holts made for swift entry to the Temple for Palms Trax > Paint Fight > Bicep. By the time Jackmaster and Joy Orbison came on, water and toilet visits were needed thus necessitating exiting the Temple, so we made our way out and finished the evening off with Eats Everything in the LBHQ.