Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Can we talk about how In Colour is one of the best dance records in years?

Sorry mate still won't click. Given up on it. He's not even playing it live so it's unlikely to get that "oh, I get it now" moment from me. It's a pleasant enough pop record but one of the best dance records in years? Nah, sorry, not for me.

It gets a great review on The Line of Best Fit website as well.

It might grow on me, but I felt a much more immediate liking for recent releases by Lakker and R.Seiliog, for example.

I suppose it depends what stuff you prefer and the mood you are in at the time.

I'm wrecked today so that doesn't help!

See, I really don't buy the argument that he's just repackaging existing styles of dance music without bringing anything new. I find it particularly weird that a lot of the people making that accusation loved It's Album Time, which was essentially a nostalgia trip through Todd Terje's record collection. Admittedly it's a nearly flawlessly executed, impeccably sequenced and hugely enjoyable nostalgia trip, but that's what it is.

I do think Jamie xx is doing something more interesting than some reviews are giving him credit for. I genuinely believe that the way he places his take on older and existing types of dance music together in such close proximity highlights and exposes a lot of commonalities between them and attempts to get to the heart of what it is that he personally loves about dance music.

And I get the impression that all the things he loves about dance music are very similar to the things that I love, so I'm already inclined to be more receptive to what he's doing.

Or I might be talking nonsense.

Edited by Winslow Leach

It gets a great review on The Line of Best Fit website as well.

It might grow on me, but I felt a much more immediate liking for recent releases by Lakker and R.Seiliog, for example.

I suppose it depends what stuff you prefer and the mood you are in at the time.

I'm wrecked today so that doesn't help!

Glad you've picked up on the R.Seiliog record. It's great, pretty ambitious too.

See, I really don't buy the argument that he's just repackaging existing styles of dance music without bringing anything new. I find it particularly weird that a lot of the people making that accusation loved It's Album Time, which was essentially a nostalgia trip through Todd Terje's record collection. Admittedly it's a nearly flawlessly executed, impeccably sequenced and hugely enjoyable nostalgia trip, but that's what it is.

I do think Jamie xx is doing something more interesting than some reviews are giving him credit for. I genuinely believe that the way he places his take on older and existing types of dance music together in such close proximity highlight and expose a lot of commonalities between them and attempts to get to the heart of what it is that he personally loves about dance music.

And I get the impression that all the things he loves about dance music are very similar to the things that I love, so I'm already inclined to be more receptive to what he's doing.

Or I might be talking nonsense.

Certainly not nonsense.

It's all about opinions!

I agree that some of the criticisms i the RA review are over the top.

The reviewer seems to have something of an issue with Jamie xx as it is.

Maybe he wasn't the most objective person to be doing it

to be honest RA reviewers listen to a LOT more breadth of electronic music than just about any other websites, eg pitchfork etc. They know good and average when they hear it to be honest. I trust their review as i think their tastes marry well with my own.

Jamie XX seems to be electronic music for people who aren't really into electronic music and are just passing by through their mainly indie / alt tastes..... scathing but my honest opinion. He is seen as cool / hip and a nice name to drop but with little substance in his actual work for me.

oh and the terje album was good but it could have been better. He is a 12" artist extraordinaire, album less so. Jamie XX isn't even that. Far nearer was alright like.

Electronic music is exceptionally difficult to make a great / classic album out of, by its sheer style. 12" is its stock and best format. Having said that a classic electronic album will remain quality for years. this won't be one of them.

an artist i do like who produces GREAT electronic albums is Roman Flugel.

Edited by Memory Man

Nice to see the Circo Loco night at the blues go head to head with the JESuS one at Wow, should take away a bit of the heavy traffic everyone was expecting, I look forward to dashing between the two!

Benji B's Deviation for 5hrs in the Stonebridge Bar at the same time too.

i'd imagine there'll be a few guests given the length.

could be anyone really though, given his radio show guests and recent Deviation lineups:

http://www.factmag.com/2015/03/04/benji-b-xoyo-residency-line-ups-with-zomby-hudson-mohawke-and-skepta/

think that'll be where I am, JESuS will just be horribly packed, and can them some other time anyway...

Edited by ghostdancer1