Pink Floyd?

Woffy

He has an album to promote, and yes I agree it would maybe be wrong without Rick...but I nevertheless can't help finding his 'It's just a pop-group, I don't need it....' attitude a little arrogant, and somewhat dismissive of the legions of people across the globe that helped him achieve his god-like status. At least be thankful, a little humble even, and say 'I'm sorry'?

To be fair, he did say something like that too (in a part of the interview the Guardian didn't use: "Obviously I accept there are people who want to go and see and hear this legend that was Pink Floyd, but I’m afraid that’s not my responsibility.”

this is where being a certain age is a bonus. 

Lucky enough I got into Pink Floyd in the late 60's and was able to see them loads of times { including Earls Court which was amazing } before Roger Waters split  - funny enough ' I looked at it in a positive fashion ' as I followed Pink Floyd and had more opportunities to see  Roger Waters as well { he toured in the 80's and in later years }

I have covered all their London dates be it Pink Floyd - Roger Waters - David Gilmour so if there was ever a situation where one was on one stage while the other was on a different stage I would opt for Roger Waters even although his singing is not as good  as it used to be - the best value was when he did his ' The Dark Side of the Moon ' tour as he also performed tracks from his solo albums.

time is marching on and there may never be a chance to see him again { have my tickets booked for Roger Waters The Wall film 29 September } but what the hell.

To be fair, he did say something like that too (in a part of the interview the Guardian didn't use: "Obviously I accept there are people who want to go and see and hear this legend that was Pink Floyd, but I’m afraid that’s not my responsibility.”

You see even this gets my back up....given that both Waters and Mason have both said they would be up for something Gilmour is pretty much 'responsible' for it not happening.....and I can almost see him using the air-quotes and a pause around the word 'legend' to emphasise how unimportant it is to him these days...

humph

Good timing for him to say this, with an album to promote!

I fully suspect that in the course of promoting his new album he was asked about it. I'm sure he would be more than happy to never talk about PF again if people didn't ask him stupid fucking questions about it.

I can see Dave Gilmours point totally.

Pink Floyd  it is not a few blokes loading a van full of equipment , filling the van up with diesel then heading two hours down the road to play a gig.

It would be a monumental commitment involving hundreds of people and possibly millions in the hundreds to run it.

And it think he said  the meetings alone to just to discuss it let along organise it would put him off !

I can see Dave Gilmours point totally.

Pink Floyd  it is not a few blokes loading a van full of equipment , filling the van up with diesel then heading two hours down the road to play a gig.

It would be a monumental commitment involving hundreds of people and possibly millions in the hundreds to run it.

And it think he said  the meetings alone to just to discuss it let along organise it would put him off !

really?

I think it's more the case of a pompous prig being worried his (wife's) tedious solo material would be utterly overshadowed by the infinitely superior pink floyd back catalogue, which was largely written by a man who was by far and away a better songwriter. A man that he despises.

And that will be the last thing that goes through his mind when he's on his death bed.

Edited by russycarps

A pompous prig who you think should have got his own way in 2008?

And to call waters a far superior songwriter is an easy cheap shot that is also totally incorrect.

Gilmour wrote dogs. If he'd written nothing else at all, that would still be an awesome legacy.

Yep, 2008 should have happened for rick wright, no doubt about it.

As for Dogs:

"Waters modified the lyrics in some parts, transposed the key to suit Gilmour's vocals, and retitled it "Dogs"."

Roger was always there to hold his hand!

really?

I think it's more the case of a pompous prig being worried his (wife's) tedious solo material would be utterly overshadowed by the infinitely superior pink floyd back catalogue, which was largely written by a man who was by far and away a better songwriter. A man that he despises.

And that will be the last thing that goes through his mind when he's on his death bed.

Na !

He will be told that they need to tour for 2 years to make it  pay , have 90% attendance at all gigs to make it pay , sell 90% of merchandise to make it pay and they have to arrange finance of £90m to get it going and they will not see a return on their investment  until after the last gig in 2019

managed to catch Roger headling Newport Folk Festival a few weeks back w/ My Morning Jacket as his backing band. it was the 50th anniversary of Dylan's 'electric' show at Newport Folk and so there were quite a few surprises over teh weekend including a Dylan retropspective to finish up on sunday (Waters finished up with Dylan's "Forever Young") and a surprise James Taylor set on Sunday...on the friday My Morning Jacket were the unannounced special guests on before RW, and they just stayed on after doing their hour-set and on comes Roger to join them, along with G.E. Smith on guitar. anyway, nice set to see without the production gimmicks and an interesting setlist too...http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/roger-waters/2015/fort-adams-state-park-newport-ri-3bf61c90.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone going to see the roger waters the wall film tonight? I am. Hopefully it's not too dull, which I fear it has potential to be...

No but good on you for supporting him. He'll need the cash for his latest divorce.

the new gilmour album is awful I thought on first couple of listens. On an island was miles better.

Yeah spectacularly MOR. Still though, setlists are cracking and he sounds the biz.

Get him booked!

Rattle That Lock improves with a few plays, but On An Island is better for sure. I'd be up for a solo slot, but like anyone rational about Pink Floyd knows the genius came from Roger Waters, the sweet guitar was Gilmore's and he's still playing exactly the same guitar sound on the new CD. Waters The Wall tour was stunning.

I am by chance meeting Polly Samson, Gilmore's wife, on the 21st October, I'll insist on a Floyd at Glasto gig  :sarcastic:

Well the film was really good. It's the whole gig in it's entirety with about 20 mins of footage of him going to visit his dad and grandad's war graves inbetween some of the songs. Some of the scenes are really tear jerking.

I found the shots of the crowd really interesting as they used footage from all the gigs from all round the world, and it was fascinating to see how different countries reacted. Lots of people were reduced to tears, as was I almost when I saw the show live.

If it comes out on DVD I'd certainly recommend getting it, if you went to the gigs or not. 

Also, he very definitely didnt mime.

shame none of the film is of The Wall reboot that toured this summer - the graphics used then were far superior to the ones from 2013 and before. Agreed it was great to see how global audiences responded.

During the Q&A afterward him and Nick were asked the reform the remaining members of Pink Floyd question - Rogers said why would they bother? Nick suggested it would give him (Nick) something to do - Roger laughed. Nick said it's all right for you you're touring all the time.

I guess he's busy with something - hoping it's an Amused To Death tour

Edited by 5co77ie

shame none of the film is of The Wall reboot that toured this summer - the graphics used then were far superior to the ones from 2013 and before. Agreed it was great to see how global audiences responded.

During the Q&A afterward him and Nick were asked the reform the remaining members of Pink Floyd question - Rogers said why would they bother? Nick suggested it would give him (Nick) something to do - Roger laughed. Nick said it's all right for you you're touring all the time.

I guess he's busy with something - hoping it's an Amused To Death tour

That bit where he told the story about the war veteran telling him his dad would be proud of him, then straight into vera and bring the boys back home with the footage of war vets returning to their children....there wasnt a dry eye in the house where I was.

As for roger, it seems he's working on a new project

Mr. Waters will next return to a new album he has been writing, under the working title “Lay Down Jerusalem.” It’s the story, he said, of a boy who has nightmares and asks his grandfather, “Why are they killing the children?”

“The grandfather promises that they will find out the answer to that question, and so they go looking,” Mr. Waters said. “And, of course, they don’t find that answer because it’s too difficult.”

Mr. Waters, who describes himself as a “radical atheist,” quoted a song:

If I had been God I would not have chosen anyone

I would have laid an even hand on all my children, every one 

I would have been content to forgo Ramadan and Lent

Time better spent in the company of friends

Breaking bread and mending nets.

The project took shape as a radio play. Mr. Waters now hopes to recast it as an album of songs and then an arena show: “Maybe using the new music and some of my old music, and throwing it together to make one last rock show that I might go out with,” he said. “A swan song.”

Edited by russycarps

Well the film was really good. It's the whole gig in it's entirety with about 20 mins of footage of him going to visit his dad and grandad's war graves inbetween some of the songs. Some of the scenes are really tear jerking.

I found the shots of the crowd really interesting as they used footage from all the gigs from all round the world, and it was fascinating to see how different countries reacted. Lots of people were reduced to tears, as was I almost when I saw the show live.

If it comes out on DVD I'd certainly recommend getting it, if you went to the gigs or not. 

Also, he very definitely didnt mime.

the credits at the end only listed three concerts { none in the UK }

I was looking out as I saw his Wembley Stadium show and his 02 show as well - Sound was very good and so was his band -

well worth seeing and I will be buying the Blu-ray as its bound to come out .

funny enough the last time I was at a  commercial cinema was to see The Hunt for Red October in 1990 over in Bangkok - I kid you not - it only stuck me later ' that was the year I went to Berlin to see him live ' - now that was a show.

the second film was for me more interesting -  Roger and Nick Mason  trying to answer questions from fans.

--------

There is an extended repeat showing, lasting just over an hour, as Later With Jools Holland which airs on Friday night (October 2nd) at 11:30pm UK with David Gilmour

3e0.jpg

the credits at the end only listed three concerts { none in the UK }

wow I'm really surprised at that. Can you remember what they were? Presumably one was in france, one spain? I thought one of the crowd looked middle eastern? or maybe istanbul? And I was sure one of the crowds were eastern european.

It really did feel like it was more than just 3 locations!

Edited by russycarps