Pink Floyd?

Woffy

Gilmour has said Pink Floyd will never play live again

When did he say that? I've not been able to find anything with him saying they won't play live again, just that this will be their last album and tbh I wasn't expecting anything else after waiting twenty years.

EDIT: I've found it and it's made me very sad, still hoping for a one off show though.

Edited by alframsey

I find it strange how unbothered I am by this news.

The footage of david gilmour playing comfortably numb at one of roger waters Wall gigs as a favour confirmed that it was time for him to call it a day.

This. I'm sure it was amazing if you were there but it was awful. Can't work out if he was purposefully playing it badly just to spite Rog or if he'd forgotten it.

This. I'm sure it was amazing if you were there but it was awful. Can't work out if he was purposefully playing it badly just to spite Rog or if he'd forgotten it.

it was. To be honest just seeing my childhood heroes actually together and playing the one floyd track in which their voices are so clearly identifiable, was amazing, Whether it was any good technically? Dunno, maybe not, but i didn't care,

Would I want to see them at glasto, without Wright or waters. In some pseudo Floyd. Nope.

Would I want to see an acoustic set of Gilmour and Waters? Yep.

Do I think I will ever seer that? Nope.

Edited by smudger

Afternoon Pyramid, his Stratocaster wailing across the field.

to be honest he could play a higher slot than that....on the 2 occasions i saw him solo he had Mason with him (at least at some stage) plus David Crosby, Graham Nash, Phil Manzanera and, sadly now, Rick Wright....yes he played his solo material but he also ran through a pretty extensive Floyd back catalogue with a number of relics (no pun intended) including Fat Old Sun,,.

Assuming he has such names on board for this outing I can't see them happy to be held to an afternoon slot.....although whether he'd be enough of a draw to the wider Glastonbury demographic for a headline slot is up for debate....

note also that he has said that as Pink Floyd they are unlikely to play again apart from 'maybe one little charity event'.....when I next see Nick I will (albeit in vain) remind him of the charity element of Glastonbury Festival.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm enjoying it more with every listen. Certainly there is nothing new in there, but if you accept it as a retrospective of work from the last 30 years and the nostalgic emotions that come with it then it works quite well. There are distinct references, and even blatant samples, from Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of The Moon, Atom Heart Mother and even,somewhat surprisingly, The Wall all the way through....to me it's a little like listening to an overture from an opera that paraphrases all the signature melodies within the main body of work.

There are some gems in there too...Anisina is beautiful.

Someone casually asked me last night what was my favourite band of all time and without a microsecond's thought my response was Pink Floyd.

I've seen them in various permutations over the years from the early days with Syd through their first ever performance of Atom Heart Mother at Shepton Mallet in 69 to separate Waters and Gilmour appearances.

Their body of work is so good that even performances by tributes like Australian Pink Floyd or Brit Floyd can bring goosebumps.

I'd be happy to see anyone who does a good job of performing their stuff.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...