Bestival USA?

Guest ybelgrave1

it's happening, and been officially announced about 8 weeks ago.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/14/140818e.shtml

I'm not sure it'll have much more luck than Reading Festival USA did - twice. Twice it's failed to get off the ground, because these names mean naff all to the average yank, and what can an imported British festival offer that a natively-run festival couldn't?

it's happening, and been officially announced about 8 weeks ago.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/14/140818e.shtml

I'm not sure it'll have much more luck than Reading Festival USA did - twice. Twice it's failed to get off the ground, because these names mean naff all to the average yank, and what can an imported British festival offer that a natively-run festival couldn't?

Only thing i think off is that bestival USA would be more dance orientated, and that sort of EDM style thing is big in the USA. Also, the weird quirkiness may appeal when Reading's meat and two potatoes rock wouldn't.

Also, the weird quirkiness may appeal when Reading's meat and two potatoes rock wouldn't.

yep, tho of course people don't get to particularly find that out until after they've been - and pulling that "weird quirkiness" together in a foreign country might be difficult too. I doubt it's economic to fly it over.

I wish them the best of luck, but given how Reading Fest haven't been able to pull it off I won't be surprised if Bestival USA goes the same way.

The one advantage they probably do have is timing. Festivals are more popular now there than they were ten years ago.

Just saw this topic pop up on the new threads bar. Haven't been to Bestival so am only going off what I've heard about it, but I think it'll be hugely tricky to get something like that off the ground here. I think the level of explanation required to establish it as something that's not like something else that's already out here would be near impossible ("oh, so it's like Coachella/Bonarroo etc. then?", "so it's more like Burning Man then?"). Also geographic location would be massively important, not only in terms of audience/reach, but also laws. California insists on beer gardens at festivals for example, so that really throws off the vibe compared to UK festivals.

I also think to a certain extent festival goers expect something different out here, a lightly cushier and more high tech experience overall

Can't wait to see what he comes up with, as long as it's a relatively short plane ride away, I'll definitely give it a go

yep, tho of course people don't get to particularly find that out until after they've been - and pulling that "weird quirkiness" together in a foreign country might be difficult too. I doubt it's economic to fly it over.

I wish them the best of luck, but given how Reading Fest haven't been able to pull it off I won't be surprised if Bestival USA goes the same way.

The one advantage they probably do have is timing. Festivals are more popular now there than they were ten years ago.

Yeah, I totally agree. I just can't really imagine it. The fancy dress element is a huge part of Bestival though and I think that maybe that could be the saving grace in taking it to the states- I don't know if they have any big festivals that have a specific theme over there? Could be a good selling point... I'm still not sold on the idea though, for me Bestival is as much about the location as it is the concept.