Working at Glastonbury Festival

kbearne

Hey guys, just wanted to ask if you know what sort of date I should start applying to volunteer/how likely it is to get a place? also experiences you've had? I desperately want to go back but haven't managed to get a ticket :)

Kelly

Hey guys, just wanted to ask if you know what sort of date I should start applying to volunteer/how likely it is to get a place? also experiences you've had? I desperately want to go back but haven't managed to get a ticket :)

Kelly

I have been a volunteer at Glastonbury { and other festivals } for the past 26 years - the last time I bought a Glastonbury ticket was 1986 - I don't apply for tickets as I know I will be working at them.
if you apply at the right time then you stand a good chance but check out this forum as some people hang on waiting for a late resale and when the penny drops that they cant get a ticket they hunt all over the place looking for jobs ' that was allocated months ago '
You can increase your chances as the more you volunteer - the more they want you.
If I had no experience I would be a volunteer at animal shelter in the winter .
Why ? - at some point someone filters the applications - they will be looking for people who have had previous festival volunteer experience - they then will look for people who have had ' previous volunteer experience '
if you have none then - you will be in a pile of other people and they will just hand out places in a random fashion - by having previous volunteer experience ' you end up in a higher pile '
Look at it from the person who has to filter the applications .
lets say you and I applied for Oxfam even although I have never been a festival steward in my life I would bet I would stand a far better chance than you just because I have had a long history of being a volunteer - its just the way it is.
You have to try and stand out from the crowd.
I have links of various festival jobs on my site at http://www.wbc-team.co.uk/fest-jobs.html

Thanks for the replies - I'll bookmark that link as well, I'm on the Oxfam waiting list as well :) fingers crossed!

I think you mean you have completed this https://www.oxfam.org.uk/stewarding/register-your-interest
a ' waiting list ' is a separate thing entirely to what you have signed up for.
it will all become clear soon enough - keep a eye on https://twitter.com/Oxfamstewards

Hey guys, so I managed to secure tickets but I've been looking to find a volunteer position to cover the cost of my ticket. The main reason being I'll be coming from Canada this Summer! I attended this Summer and had to come back, and actually met a fair few kids my own age who managed to get volunteer positions (though they told me they had an inside connection). Is Oxfam, mentioned above, my best bet? Also I wouldn't need a Visa to volunteer right?

Hey guys, so I managed to secure tickets but I've been looking to find a volunteer position to cover the cost of my ticket. The main reason being I'll be coming from Canada this Summer! I attended this Summer and had to come back, and actually met a fair few kids my own age who managed to get volunteer positions (though they told me they had an inside connection). Is Oxfam, mentioned above, my best bet? Also I wouldn't need a Visa to volunteer right?

In fact that is the first thing you have to sort out
a far as I am aware even although your not getting paid ' you still need a visa ' { going by that site }
the whole thing is a minefield and its up to you to get the paperwork right as whoever you volunteer for will not risk recruiting you unless all the red tape is sorted out.
I am sure in the past it was far different but these days they have so many Government agencies
that everything may or may not be checked up.
I have to sign a contract with the wbc to state that I have checked up on all my Teams work status - and that has to be filled in for each event - a right waste of time but it has to be done.

I'm afraid you will need a visa, even for voluntary work and the cost looks to be £208, so I guess that rather negates your plan to offset the costs of your trip. You can confirm this by following the link that Glasto Worker above provided. There is a specific section talking about coming as a temporary charity worker, even on a volunteer basis.

I am sure that some would think - ' its only red tape - why does it matter ? '
even a quick glance at the Oxfam site and its clear its a problem that has cropped up before.
--------
Can I apply if I'm not a British citizen ? - Certain visa restrictions apply. If you are from the European Union, you are free to volunteer in the UK. For those from outside the EU, you will need to check that your visa allows you to volunteer. We advise that you contact the UK Borders and Immigration Agency to find out.
Oxfam is not able to support individuals who need visas to come to the UK to volunteer. Oxfam cannot support volunteer visas, as we do not have the correct licence to do so.
Please note, you will not be able to volunteer as a steward if you are not eligible to volunteer in the UK.
---------
its a added complication and people from abroad have to think long and hard about it as there is no easy way around it.
I know for a fact that the WBC check ID of every volunteer they don't know - even although everyone is warned in advance they have to produce a passport or a driving license and at every event there will always be some who will show up with a photocopy and I have even some producing their smartphone { containing a photo of the document } as if that is proof of anything - its not and they will not be let behind a bar.

• 2 weeks later...