geeky techie chat about the ticket sale

Swine_Glasto2014

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting...care to elaborate on how you know that?

Had 4 laptops on the go. Three of them each had their host file edited to one of the seetickets server 194.168.202.201, 194.168.202.202 and 194.168.202.218 During the sale the laptop that was directed to 194.168.202.218 went down for about 5 mins whilst the others held steady.

And the laptop I got through on? The unedited host file one!

What i would like to know is why people get the 'white page' with an error on rather than the holding maximum requests page. 

was lucky... didn't have this very much on the browsers that did this i went back and then it changed to holding page and countdown clock.

after i bought one set of tix i did go back thru pages to the add registrations and was able to clear the form and add new reg nos, but every time did proceed to went back to holding page instead of forward.

I discovered something interesting yesterday... as a result of the seetickets bypass hack that a few people used in 2012, I realised the local hosts on my mac still had this "194.168.131.174 glastonbury.seetickets.com" added to it which prevented me even seeing the 'glastonbury.seetickets.com' page or the holding page.

Once I removed this, the page loaded no problem. This has prevented me getting tickets the last few years (although the wife got them on her laptop in 2013). I wonder how many people still have this added to their hosts (hopefully I'm just the one off).

Thankfully manage to get 12 tickets out of the 15 trying for them this year. The last 3 we're hopeful for in the resale.

Had 4 laptops on the go. Three of them each had their host file edited to one of the seetickets server 194.168.202.201, 194.168.202.202 and 194.168.202.218 During the sale the laptop that was directed to 194.168.202.218 went down for about 5 mins whilst the others held steady.

And the laptop I got through on? The unedited host file one!

Having been party to some hosts file shenanigans in the past I believe they actively block you when you try to do this.

How does one find the IPs?

Having been party to some hosts file shenanigans in the past I believe they actively block you when you try to do this.

How does one find the IPs?

Firstly I'd be surprised with the amount of traffic hitting those servers they'd be able to identify and block anyone. The server that went down came back after 5 mins (may of been slightly less) and remained constant for the rest of the sale. The big difference I could see this year was the holding page after entering your details.

It's very easy to find the server address, just do a ping check to glastonbury.seetickets.com 

A question for you smart people:

I've heard a few years ago that using the internet from UCL (or any uni with a good connection) is a bonus for some technical reason - as far as I remember it was said that it "opens a few doors" and puts you in front of the queue. 

I have no idea what im talking about, so i'm sorry about the terms. 

But the thing is, I always got my tickets here so easily. last year I got on the resale for 8 friends (3 different purchases), plus the normal sale ones that i got for two groups.

Same good luck on the year before on the coach sale, sunday and then resale. 

It is just a coincidence or there's something about my connection here that is helping me?

This year I couldn't be bothered to come to work early and couldn't even open the seeticket page. luckily a friend got for me.

It was pretty useless this year.

I got through to 3 Reg pages and then they either hung or sent me back to the holding page.

I got through to payment, but it kept hanging when pressing Book. I just kept pressing and eventually it kicked in.

Bit sick of See Tickets. If they're not in AWS or Azure, they should be, because it'd make the spinning up of servers just for days like today, much easier.

A website in 2015 shouldn't be kicking people out at payment pages, it's farcical and I nearly lost out, were it not for some perseverance and luck.

A question for you smart people:

I've heard a few years ago that using the internet from UCL (or any uni with a good connection) is a bonus for some technical reason - as far as I remember it was said that it "opens a few doors" and puts you in front of the queue. 

I have no idea what im talking about, so i'm sorry about the terms. 

But the thing is, I always got my tickets here so easily. last year I got on the resale for 8 friends (3 different purchases), plus the normal sale ones that i got for two groups.

Same good luck on the year before on the coach sale, sunday and then resale. 

It is just a coincidence or there's something about my connection here that is helping me?

This year I couldn't be bothered to come to work early and couldn't even open the seeticket page. luckily a friend got for me.

maybe If your uni shared the same ISP as SeeTickets - possibly, but I just recon its complete and utter luck. 

I had two years running where my works PC would get all our tickets, then nothing ever since

Edited by wweerr208

I discovered something interesting yesterday... as a result of the seetickets bypass hack that a few people used in 2012, I realised the local hosts on my mac still had this "194.168.131.174 glastonbury.seetickets.com" added to it which prevented me even seeing the 'glastonbury.seetickets.com' page or the holding page.

Once I removed this, the page loaded no problem. This has prevented me getting tickets the last few years (although the wife got them on her laptop in 2013). I wonder how many people still have this added to their hosts (hopefully I'm just the one off).

Thankfully manage to get 12 tickets out of the 15 trying for them this year. The last 3 we're hopeful for in the resale.

This is one of the reasons why editing your local hosts file is not something I would recommend.

It was pretty useless this year.

I got through to 3 Reg pages and then they either hung or sent me back to the holding page.

I got through to payment, but it kept hanging when pressing Book. I just kept pressing and eventually it kicked in.

Bit sick of See Tickets. If they're not in AWS or Azure, they should be, because it'd make the spinning up of servers just for days like today, much easier.

A website in 2015 shouldn't be kicking people out at payment pages, it's farcical and I nearly lost out, were it not for some perseverance and luck.

It is with almost complete certainty that the system runs on a bunch of VM's, in See's case hosted by a Virgin Media corporate cloud VM service. They probably have reserve VM's they can simply add and remove from the cluster with a few clicks in the Admin console.