Fleetwood Mac 2015

Matt42

it breaks my heart to say it but I bloody love that one!

I love the fact that the solos (especially at the end) were all basically ad-lib, but made it to the final cut. It was spliced together from a jam session - I've somehow ended up with the full guitar parts for it and they're great to hear.

ALso baring in mind it was coke-fuelled silliness!

You can't knock the Mac for enjoying a bit of a party!

I've heard a great story about backstage on the Tusk tour regarding Heineken bottle tops and cocaine, but it's probably not one for a message board!

Though I'd still bet that the lion's share of people in any walk of life in the UK still think of that as the Formula 1 music.

yep, they might do that, but they also often know who did the song.

If there was any way of verifying it beyond all doubt, I'd have no problem putting money on more people knowing it's by FM today than knew that in 2010.

For whatever reasons, FM have only very recently (the last 5 years) become a band of interest to younger generations. If that were not the case they'd have been people hollering for them for the last 15 years in a similar way to how they've been hollering for Prince for all of that 15 years.

It's just not existed. I know that for certain from being sat here and taking notice of what people are wanting, even when their wants are of no interest to me.

(tho as it happens, FM are of interest to me - which is why I found that "you simply don't like them" so pathetically sadly amusing)

Edited by eFestivals

you mean the guy who thought he'd booked Pink Floyd when it was Roger Waters should be thought of as an authority on such things?

I love Michael, but I would never take much notice of his thoughts on almost anything musical

:rolleyes:

And yet he manages to book line-ups that people want, and knew that people didn't want FM in 2009 - and the lack of interest here in 2009 bore that out!

Since 2009 that interest has rocketed. Google proves that to you, but even the facts of interest via google is apparently wrong too. :lol:

yep, they might do that, but they also often know who did the song.

If there was any way of verifying it beyond all doubt, I'd have no problem putting money on more people knowing it's by FM today than knew that in 2010.

For whatever reasons, FM have only very recently (the last 5 years) become a band of interest to younger generations. If that were not the case they'd have been people hollering for them for the last 15 years in a similar way to how they've been hollering for Prince for all of that 15 years.

It's just not existed. I know that for certain from being sat here and taking notice of what people are wanting, even when their wants are of no interest to me.

(tho as it happens, FM are of interest to me - which is why I found that "you simply don't like them" so pathetically sadly amusing)

I don't think anyone here doubts that they're on the crest of (or even just past the crest of) an upswing at the minute. All that's being debated are the reasons why.

But as I mentioned earlier I still have a raised eyebrow as to the actual extent of it in bums on seats. They'll get an Arcade Fire (or Metallica) sized headline crowd, but not a Kasabian-sized one, never mind a Dolly.

I don't think anyone here doubts that they're on the crest of (or even just past the crest of) an upswing at the minute. All that's being debated are the reasons why.

yep - tho your own stated reasons are not borne out by that google data, whilst that google data does match up with what I said.

But as I mentioned earlier I still have a raised eyebrow as to the actual extent of it in bums on seats. They'll get an Arcade Fire (or Metallica) sized headline crowd, but not a Kasabian-sized one, never mind a Dolly.

They'll get a hugely greater sized crowd than Metallica got. I doubt there were even 40,000 there for them.

(I've no idea how many AF got, i didn't see them).

I'm not expecting them to outdo the rolling stones, as Dolly did. That would be madness.

Exactly. As far as I remember none of us even mentioned whether they were big enough to headline before their rise in popularity. I know I certainly didn't

Honestly, you could burn Edward Woodward in some of the straw men being built here.

yep - tho your own stated reasons are not borne out by that google data, whilst that google data does match up with what I said.

My view - a mix of things, Glee included.

Your view - Glee only.

I don't see how the interest would sustain from whenever the Glee epsiode was shown to summer 2015 on the basis of an episode of a once-trendy tv show, but we'll need to agree to differ.

Exactly. As far as I remember none of us even mentioned whether they were big enough to headline before their rise in popularity. I know I certainly didn't

Honestly, you could burn Edward Woodward in some of the straw men being built here.

so they weren't popular, but you're having a pop at me for saying they weren't popular? :lol:

If you're looking for wurzel, you need a mirror.

Your view - Glee only.

ahhh, another man claiming that's what I said.

Care to quote my words saying just-that back at me? :rolleyes:

I don't see how the interest would sustain from whenever the Glee epsiode was shown to summer 2015 on the basis of an episode of a once-trendy tv show, but we'll need to agree to differ.

As you've noted, there's been a revival of a particular fashion.

Glee brought people's attention to an older band who matched up with that fashion.

FFS, it's really not difficult. Particulary if you bother to reference the facts that are available.

ahhh, another man claiming that's what I said.

Care to quote my words saying just-that back at me? :rolleyes:

As you've noted, there's been a revival of a particular fashion.

Glee brought people's attention to an older band who matched up with that fashion.

FFS, it's really not difficult. Particulary if you bother to reference the facts that are available.

OK - so in that case we agree. They're popular again now for a variety of reasons, with the media and the zeitgeist cannibalising one another in a Mactastic AOR feedback loop.

I'm not expecting them to outdo the rolling stones, as Dolly did. That would be madness.

Really?

It was quite tightly squeezed for Dolly, but I felt a little crushed at some points before the Stones came on! Mind you, I was about three rows back for the Stones and about 10 for Dolly, so possibly not a fair comparison.

I saw Fleetwood Mac a couple of years ago, when Christine Mcvie first rejoined them on stage for a couple of songs in London, and it was spectacular. I have always daydreamed about them playing the Pyramid and it never crossed my mind that they would do anything but headline if they appeared.

They hit lots of demographics. Older people who loved them when they were first around, those peoples children who were brought up listening to them, students who listen to them now.

In my version of the world at least, they have always been an iconic band who are up there with the very best.