Kendrick Lamar

kalifire

51 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It seems that people wanna say it because they wanna sing along to the songs that they like, and planning out your singalong to avoid accidentally becoming a 17th century plantation owner is weird as fuck. Nobody is saying "why can't we just say it to each other? why???", it's just a case of singing along to a song which doesn't actually have any racial connotations that everybody else is.

I did say I wasn't going to reply but oh well haha, can't help myself. Yeah I completely see where you're coming from, but when I saw Kendrick I avoided saying it, not because I was consciously trying to but because I generally don't use the word when rapping along to stuff. Like, I think it's easy enough to avoid, especially at a gig or at the club which is still a public place. I'm sure the girl had no malicious intent, she just didn't really have any self awareness. I was mainly talking about some of the stuff on Twitter that's all "why can't we say it too!!!".

11 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I did say I wasn't going to reply but oh well haha, can't help myself. Yeah I completely see where you're coming from, but when I saw Kendrick I avoided saying it, not because I was consciously trying to but because I generally don't use the word when rapping along to stuff. Like, I think it's easy enough to avoid, especially at a gig or at the club which is still a public place. I'm sure the girl had no malicious intent, she just didn't really have any self awareness. I was mainly talking about some of the stuff on Twitter that's all "why can't we say it too!!!".

Yeah I agree completely. You do get those people as hip hop fans that want to be part of it so bad that they want free rein over the word and are confused as to why they can't. I'm definitely just referring to people singing along, and even then I wouldn't dream of doing it personally.

N.B. Brockhampton have had an ongoing argument with their fans over the usage of the word at concerts and that's completely their call and I'm not challenging that either.

40 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

but surely that 'modern usage' is reverse-piggy-backing off the 'traditional' meaning, and therefore cannot be separated?

I understand that argument and it's certainly an approach I admire for its up-yours driver ... but that doesn't necessarily mean I think it'll pan out as suggested there.

You say it's already happening, but I'd say the response to sing-along girl shows that it's not. And that also raises the question of when it's deemed to have worked enough so that non-blacks are permitted to use it in the same way.

There's absurdity around the privileged-use idea. I'm not sure it takes us to a better place.

But hey, I know that's old skool. I'm not saying it can't be used, I'm saying it saddens me that it is.

Well it's transitioned even from the act of N.W.A-era defiance to a word that just means 'guy' but you're correct that there's not realistically just gonna be a point where it's officially accepted as a word free from its history.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Typical leftie double standard.  No-one says the N word, but everyone thinks it's OK to call me a gammon becomes I'm obsessed with Bobby Blotzer.

'Calgon's Law' - the longer an eFests thread goes on the greater the probability of Calgon mentioning Blotzer.

If you don’t want white people singing your x rated lyrics don’t write them. Certainly don’t ambush them by inviting them up on stage.

real dick move IMO.

if the word is good enough to put in a song and make money from it then it’s good enough for anyone to sing, it’s not a word that anyone should be throwing around in everyday use, but in the context of a song, or a story, or any work of art then anyone can use it in that context.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smeble said:

If you don’t want white people singing your x rated lyrics don’t write them. Certainly don’t ambush them by inviting them up on stage.

real dick move IMO.

if the word is good enough to put in a song and make money from it then it’s good enough for anyone to sing, it’s not a word that anyone should be throwing around in everyday use, but in the context of a song, or a story, or any work of art then anyone can use it in that context.

Hmm, nah. Alternatively, don't say racial slurs if you're white

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Funny how this conversation always leads to people posting the same clips from comedians, but never the one of Richard Pryor saying he doesn't like white people saying it in any circumstances and that he's decided to stop using it himself since visiting Africa ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In my defence I've not seen that one! And I like any excuse to post Bill Hicks clips.

Joking aside, do you not think there's some responsibility to be taken by Kendrick in this instance for bringing her onstage to sing the song? If I was brought onstage at a massive gig I can't promise I wouldn't get giddy and forget what's acceptable in the moment.

Note: I'm absolutely safe in this context as my sinagalong abilities are pretty limited within that genre :)

19 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Funny how this conversation always leads to people posting the same clips from comedians, but never the one of Richard Pryor saying he doesn't like white people saying it in any circumstances and that he's decided to stop using it himself since visiting Africa ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He said he doesn't like anyone using it.

38 minutes ago, Quark said:

do you not think there's some responsibility to be taken by Kendrick in this instance for bringing her onstage to sing the song?

I think there's responsibility by all people who still use it. If it's normalised in some circumstances, some people will use it normally sometimes.

2 hours ago, Smeble said:

real dick move IMO.

Or white people should just be aware not to say the word ffs. It isn't that difficult.

• Upvote 1

Surely it just falls under context. Technically the person is just quoting the source material. I also find it odd that it has been normalised, if it's a offensive/derogatory word then it shouldn't be used at all.

Lastly, isn't it technically a different word now anyway? Isn't the word used in most rap songs and in the US black community (Do many Black Brits use it in the same way?) ending in A rather than ER?

7 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Or white people should just be aware not to say the word ffs. It isn't that difficult.

I would be more than aware not to say it, although if I had been invited on stage to sing/rap along to a song I'd wonder if the artist was also inviting me to say it. 

I'm not sure how old this person was but there are loads of young white people who are growing up around the word being normalised by black people. They may not be quite as aware.

12 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Don't disagree with you, but...

2 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I would be more than aware not to say it, although if I had been invited on stage to sing/rap along to a song I'd wonder if the artist was also inviting me to say it. 

I think Jack's nailed where the confusion lies in this case Gucci. Although she doesn't help herself by asking "am I not cool enough for you bro?" afterwards :no2:

As a top tip, don't make my mistake.  Was trying to see if any news articles had an idea of how old she was (does look like a kid in the video) and I ended up reading a S*n article where they'd also printed the lyrics.  Made the absolute error of reading the comments on a S*n article about rap music.  I feel like my eyes need a bath :bad:

40 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Apologies for linking TMZ but it's the guy we like from taking down Kanye at least.

Anyway I think this is progressive. Doesn't mean I think Randy should go out and say it all around town but the hard and fast rule regardless of context seems narrow minded.

Thing is, the act doesn't necessarily become less offensive to others in the crowd just because Travis says its ok. 

Going back to my earlier comment a few pages ago about Kanye giving white people permission to sing , I would have felt awkward as I'd not want to offend those around me. 

16 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

How do you lot feel about when some of the Punks wore swastika arm bands?

Ever so slightly different I know but within the same ballpark.

nope, I don't think it's anywhere similar, there's no privileged-use.

The problem raised in this thread by what happened with singalong girl is around privileged use - and for that girl and how people reacted here, it certainly looks like its a problem for her.