Kendrick Lamar

kalifire

21 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

hed be a risk from a generic public point of view. But in terms of real music fans, they would appreciate his performance.

Notwithstanding that 'real music fans' is insultingly snobbish, it's fair to argue that Glastonbury isn't as huge as it is because of the kind of musical appreciation you're talking about anyway.

16 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Notwithstanding that 'real music fans' is insultingly snobbish, it's fair to argue that Glastonbury isn't as huge as it is because of the kind of musical appreciation you're talking about anyway.

I don't know where this difficulty in audience thing comes from

Kendrick is loved by chin strokers, the yoof, and the average joe

He might not appeal to those who sit in a deck chair at the pyramid all day but fuck them, they don't like anything that isn't stereophonics or oasis. Those people complain about anything Glastonbury book so I wouldn't care about how he is received to them. 

• Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Agreed, but that's not enough, and arguably only recognisable to a demographic that's hardly in abundance at Glastonbury. Pyramid headliners traditionally need inarguable musical significance/influence (i.e. Radiohead) and/or huge commercial success (i.e. Jay-Z). Some are talking here as if he'd be nailed on to headline but I think he'd be a risk for the Festival.

I agree. In my opinion Glastonbury is fairly poor at booking major hip hop artists and lately has dropped the mantle when it comes to making fresh headliners. I'd be delighted if they dropped Kendrick into a headline slot in the next few years but I don't really see it and if any rapper will I think it'll be Drake, and that's only after disgusting levels of chart success and probably a stadium or two.

The UK is still seemingly worlds apart from the US in appreciation/acceptance of hip hop at major music festivals so yeah I think we're only setting ourselves up for disappointment in speculating that Kendrick can be among the next batch of Glastonbury headliners. Tonight will be a big night for the continued possibility but I think it'll be moreso for other festivals than Glastonbury.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I agree. In my opinion Glastonbury is fairly poor at booking major hip hop artists and lately has dropped the mantle when it comes to making fresh headliners. I'd be delighted if they dropped Kendrick into a headline slot in the next few years but I don't really see it and if any rapper will I think it'll be Drake, and that's only after disgusting levels of chart success and probably a stadium or two.

The UK is still seemingly worlds apart from the US in appreciation/acceptance of hip hop at major music festivals so yeah I think we're only setting ourselves up for disappointment in speculating that Kendrick can be among the next batch of Glastonbury headliners. Tonight will be a big night for the continued possibility but I think it'll be moreso for other festivals than Glastonbury.

Is that not just because most mainstream rappers demand extortionate fees? I'm sure that's a bigger factor in the reason why hip-hop is underestimated at Glastonbury 

I think it's as simple as the fact that there aren't enough people at Glastonbury who like hip hop enough to give any hip hop artist who doesn't have undeniable success a stab at headlining. 

Look at the two hip hop artists they've had headline. For those who know hip hop, both Jay-Z and Kanye are undeniably relevant, influential and enormously successful. But that wasn't enough for the mob mentality who couldn't handle an artist outside of their limited comfort zone. 

And so it'll continue. Glasto ain't Parklife. This is one of those areas where it's musically limited history comes back to bite it. 

Edited by kalifire

Just play Glasto or Manchester Kenny. Biggest complaint is on this forum is that they can't see anyone around at the moment who will be a bona fide legend in years to come, Kung fu Kenny is a guaranteed legend. To Pimp A Butterfly will be looked back on in 20 years as up there with the best (I understand opinions differ on his best but you can see what I mean from a looking back view I hope) and he's just considered top tier by all that know him. 

Name a bad song, go on. You're wrong. Even his demos album puts most to shame.

I am pretty biased I'm not gonna lie, I'd put tpab in my top 3 albums but I don't know how to judge it really, I was an indie lad lad lad growing up now I love punk and hip hop and my music tastes grow out from there.

TL;DR, I've drank a few easter beers visiting my parents, I love kendrick and I have to had a proper chance to see him at his best yet.

Peace

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Agreed, but that's not enough, and arguably only recognisable to a demographic that's hardly in abundance at Glastonbury. 

mmm

I just don't know how much of his stuff is immediate enough to captivate your typical sheltered Pyramid dwellers who've never heard it before. Backstreet Freestyle, MAAD City, King Kunta, Sing About Me I'm Dying, maybe Don't Kill My Vibe and the original version of i. After that you're struggling, and even with those six it's not like he necessarily always plays them straight. It'd be incredible, and I want it to happen regardless, but it's optimistic to think he wouldn't be another Arcade Fire - adored by those present but ignored by most of the festival - if it were to happen on this album cycle.

Edited by Zac Quinn

5 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

I want it to happen, and it'd be incredible, but it's optimistic to think he wouldn't be another Arcade Fire - adored by those present but ignored by most of the festival - if it were to happen on this album cycle.

Is this such a bad thing? I'm not really a fan of Arcade Fire (I've tried and appreciate them, they're just not my bag) but by all accounts everyone that was there loved it. I think with all the stages available these kind of headliners should be a route glasto should go for, step up the people who can't step up to the pyramid and play the undercard that we've all come to love. 

People will look back and think that it's odd they went for something so niche or that they were genius for thinking of them. Either way is better than Coldplay again (I mean nothing against Coldplay there, but they're too reguarlar there). Download was the first to start with the repetition, R&L is heading that way, glasto is the only festival with the power to flex it's muscles and show off in this respect. Look at 2011, Beyoncé/QOTSA/The Streets was a win for most

The last 6 headliners they've booked are Muse, Adele, Coldplay, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Ed Sheeran. In the last 3 years they've given non-headline slots to Florence and the Machine, Foals, Biffy Clyro and Katy Perry. Right now I can't see them going for someone who'd be questioned as much as Kendrick, even though it would be amazing. Much more likely to do Reading or Wireless instead.

12 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

The last 6 headliners they've booked are Muse, Adele, Coldplay, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Ed Sheeran. In the last 3 years they've given non-headline slots to Florence and the Machine, Foals, Biffy Clyro and Katy Perry. Right now I can't see them going for someone who'd be questioned as much as Kendrick, even though it would be amazing. Much more likely to do Reading or Wireless instead.

Yeah this is a good point. If F+TM don't have enough mainstream appeal to headline, Kendrick sure doesn't. Tho on the other hand Flo, Foals, Biffy, K-Pez etc were clearly willing to take sub spots - if, as seems to be the case, Kendrick is now 'headline or nothing', then I like to think they'd be willing to 'choose to overlook' concerns about his hit count.

Edited by Zac Quinn

43 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

mmm

I just don't know how much of his stuff is immediate enough to captivate your typical sheltered Pyramid dwellers who've never heard it before. Backstreet Freestyle, MAAD City, King Kunta, Sing About Me I'm Dying, maybe Don't Kill My Vibe and the original version of i. After that you're struggling, and even with those six it's not like he necessarily always plays them straight. It'd be incredible, and I want it to happen regardless, but it's optimistic to think he wouldn't be another Arcade Fire - adored by those present but ignored by most of the festival - if it were to happen on this album cycle.

I would have thought he'd have already played Glasto by now if they don't judge him as a headliner 

Edited by swede

14 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

If the weather thread refuses to accept the potential of rain, I can refuse this spot on logic. Can't see him headlining other and I don't want a sub length spot. Got my head in the clouds but this early on I'm happy floating there ahaha. 

11 minutes ago, swede said:

If it's not going to headline though why hasn't he already played the festival 

cos he went from nothing to everything so fast that they missed the boat! Seems crazy V of all places was the only big English fest to nab him for a middling slot before he was really at the top top level. (I know he played fourth down at Wireless early on too but that's different because booking up-and-coming hip-hoppers is their whole remit) 

Edited by Zac Quinn

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Maybe I'm deluded but I think we will get one of the two in 2019. But I think off the back of DAMN., Kendrick can only headline and Drake is already there. But that status makes them more likely because the fee, status, expectation lines up in a way that it might not have previously.

Surely they won't go for three white, male, guitar driven acts again.

I'd love to see him at Glastonbury. At the moment, I can't see him having that commercial/popular sway that Jay-Z and Kanye have despite me preferring K-Dot infinitely.

I completely get why he does it but I find the PC/family friendly versions of the songs a bit jarring. Does anyone know if he does that at normal/non-televised gigs?

Yeah, his Coachella headline set wasn't ideal for that setting IMO.

You drop your latest album two days ago, most of the attendees probably havent got the chance to listen to it yet.

Proceed to play half of your set songs from that album.

3 songs that wasn't his, the Future thing was definitely there so Kendrick could get a break. 2 from untitled unmastered, 2 from TPAB, and 3 from GKMC.

If he did that for a Glasto headline set people will be fuming :lol:

1 hour ago, defrio29 said:

You drop your latest album two days ago, most of the attendees probably havent got the chance to listen to it yet.

3 songs that wasn't his, the Future thing was definitely there so Kendrick could get a break. 2 from untitled unmastered, 2 from TPAB, and 3 from GKMC.

Throw in I, Swimming Pools and ADHD and it's a killer set. DNA is a perfect opener 

6 hours ago, defrio29 said:

Let them fume.... I'd be made up with whatever he played.

It's time more headline acts stopped catering to all this bullshit 'greatest hits' lark.

Saw Radiohead in Lollapalooza last year and they opened with 5 songs from the new album before any old stuff... People listened and enjoyed. An appreciative and interested in music crowd is what's needed more at Glastonbury. Way too many w*nkers at Glastonbury go these days just to 'do Glastonbury'

Pah.... Rant over!

I don't think they'd have largely not heard it anyway - Coachella isn't as detached from the outside world as Glastonbury is. DAMN. is breaking all sorts of streaming records over there and I think people would be blasting it at camp or at the hotels and stuff. I bet people went insane when DNA. came on.