Acts Touring Around Glastonbury Time 2015

Gnomicide

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's happened twice now at R&L and many times where bands do joint tours where they swap positions throughout the tour.

I've never understood why people suggest it for single events like Glasto or T though, it doesn't make sense, since one band has to play last. All you're doing is paying lip service to the sub by calling them a second headliner.

Edited by mrtourette

think he means co-headline like Queens / Paramore at Reading and Leeds this year

Yeah but Glasto is not paired with another venue. So how does one go about having two headliners on one stage on one night, unless they are going to play together? I dont have a degree in maths or anything, and so I could be wrong, but 2 divided into 1 doesnt really go, does it? Or will they play half the slot each, alternating between a Foos tune and a QOTSA tune and then finishing on them playing a tune or tunes together? Like I said above................weird!

Yeah but Glasto is not paired with another venue. So how does one go about having two headliners on one stage on one night, unless they are going to play together? I dont have a degree in maths or anything, and so I could be wrong, but 2 divided into 1 doesnt really go, does it? Or will they play half the slot each, alternating between a Foos tune and a QOTSA tune and then finishing on them playing a tune or tunes together? Like I said above................weird!

i always just assumed it'd be two bands getting a headliner length slot. sure, one of them would play last so would TECHNICALLY be the 'headliner' in many people's eyes, but both would be treated as headliners

didn't Neil say there was a fourth headliner lined up for one year that didn't pan out? i assume that's the treatment they would've received - second billing but headliner length set (unless there was another situation lined up, although i can't think what that would've been)

But they can give a 'headliner length set' to whoever they want regardless of where they're playing. Having joint/co-headliners without actually being able to swap them over is done either i) to placate an act who might not normally play second on the bill or ii) as a marketing ploy to make the bill seem more impressive.

i always just assumed it'd be two bands getting a headliner length slot. sure, one of them would play last so would TECHNICALLY be the 'headliner' in many people's eyes, but both would be treated as headliners

didn't Neil say there was a fourth headliner lined up for one year that didn't pan out? i assume that's the treatment they would've received - second billing but headliner length set (unless there was another situation lined up, although i can't think what that would've been)

Yeah there was chat of a "4th headliner" a few years back and along with this co-headlining option above it smacks of rubbish to me. For me its clear cut. If you are the last to play the Pyramid on a given night then you are the headliner. Play anything below that and you are not

But they can give a 'headliner length set' to whoever they want regardless of where they're playing. Having joint/co-headliners without actually being able to swap them over is done either i) to placate an act who might not normally play second on the bill or ii) as a marketing ploy to make the bill seem more impressive.

Very much this.

I would be very cynical about it if it was announced as such and it would defo smack of placating and/or silly marketing

oh i'm definitely not saying it'd be a good idea. it'd be stupid. but clearly what with this mystery fourth headliner in whatever year it was it's been mulled over before by the organisers. would've been interesting to see how it worked out

although the guy saying Foos / QOTSA co-headliner... Foos would be the headliner / finish last. i don't think anybody would dispute that

As far as Michael was concerned I'm fairly sure he felt Dolly Parton was a headliner this year, I seem to remember him talking about headliners before - saying to me something like "they're the ones who make the headlines".

certainly overshadowed Kasabian in that sense. don't remember seeing them mentioned in any of the headlines but Dolly was pasted all over them

Thats very nice and cute of Micheal to say that, but the headliner is the one that tops the bill (ie Headlines the bill) and I dont recall the posters or t-shirts for the Festival having Dolly listed on top. She pulled the biggest crowd and was splashed all over the news for days after (due to her crowd size and her lip synching/backing track), so not all "headlines" were flattering lets not forget, but we cant revise the headliners after the fact based on media attention. Thats just not the way it works.

As always this site is a great source of info, thanks I didn't know that Jungle had released new tour dates, i'll be getting some for the Roundhouse in March this pay day :)

They played the festival this year, but hopefully on enough of a roll to make it again in 2015 - they were brilliant 'supporting' (read - blew off the stage) Pharrell last week, and I'd be super-excited to see them again (tickets allowing) at Glasto next summer. Brilliant band, brilliant stage show.

... oh and some of that ELO goodness too please. With them and Fleetwood Mac, I'd be happy, and the rest is a bonus! Prince too?? ...oh go on then, if you must... ;-)

Must now be possible:

Jeff Lynne's Electric Light Orchestra performed at BBC Radio 2's Festival In A Day in Hyde Park, London, last night – marking the infuential pop group's return to the UK stage 28 years after their last full concert performance.

During the 75-minute set, Birmingham-born Lynne told the 50,000-strong crowd: "I'll do this again."

Thats very nice and cute of Micheal to say that, but the headliner is the one that tops the bill (ie Headlines the bill) and I dont recall the posters or t-shirts for the Festival having Dolly listed on top. She pulled the biggest crowd and was splashed all over the news for days after (due to her crowd size and her lip synching/backing track), so not all "headlines" were flattering lets not forget, but we cant revise the headliners after the fact based on media attention. Thats just not the way it works.

I seem to remember seeing a Pyramid stage crew tshirt at some point, which had Dolly Parton listed on the back along with the 3 headliners - so seems she was treated as a 4th headliner to an extent.

Plus she had her full set shown live on BBC2 - like a headliner.

Edited by Lubic87