Ferry question from a newbie

Guest I_hate_feet

Hi, as it says in the title I have never been before. I have a ferry booked and just wondered how easy it is with a trolley. Anyone know if there are lots of steps or narrow doorways? I got a hovercraft to iow fest last year and getting the trolley on was an absolute nightmare.

I am also travelling alone this time so am a bit worried I will have to abandon everything. It's basically a fishing trolley but has quite big tyres compared to the crappy Argos ones. I have to get the tube and then a train to Southampton but I think this is manageable.

All thoughts appreciated...

I don't have experience with the Southampton ferry, so this is really for anyone else who comes and reads.

For the Portsmouth to Ryde ferry, you wouldn't have much trouble - there's ramps everywhere.

But then once you're off the ferry, getting it to the site would be a struggle. The shuttle buses are service buses. I suppose you'd have to get a taxi or something.

See my sig ;)

Thanks for replying... Sorry I'm a bit dense- is a service bus the same as a london bus? I could definitely get the trolley on there, it's footprint is only a little bigger than an old peoples trolley thing.

Normally take the trolley as I am a weak little thing and rucksacks leave me in tears plus I am taking my own tent this year. It's the tent and cider that are heavy and they are both essentials in my eyes.

But then once you're off the ferry, getting it to the site would be a struggle. The shuttle buses are service buses. I suppose you'd have to get a taxi or something.

See my sig ;)

Ah bugger really? Thats really annoying (plus I was thinking Hovercraft!)

Will have to cut down weigtht then! Annoyingly my solo tent is a pop up, so bloody awkward to carry about with the Rucksack!

Yeah like a sack trolley, thanks.

It took four hovercraft staff men to get the trolley on, but it was really windy and choppy and it was a really heavy load that year. Some trolleys were put in its outside hold section but they put ours inside the craft and used some peoples rucksack to secure it.

If you are going from Southampton I would strongly advise you to take the red jet foot passenger ferry as it is has no steps. The car ferry has a big long ramp leading up to it, and then when you get there, quite a narrow set of steep sets to get up to the main deck. I'm sure someone would give you a helping hand though, its not far but not easy.

That being said, I was once told that I couldn't take my trolley onto the foot passenger ferry, but I think the bloke (who looks like E Honda from street fighter) was just being a jobsworth that day. You should be fine.

This is my first year going to Bestival! I cannot wait to get there! One question; if my ferry home from Fishbourne (car ferry to Portsmouth) is at 10.30am on the Monday, does anyone have any idea what time I should drive off the festival site to get there?

I have no idea how busy the roads get at the end of the festival, or whether there is some organisation near the docks that split cars into their ferry times?

Any help would be brilliant, as it is the only thing I can't judge properly. (I am used to Glastonbury level traffic etc).

See you on the Island!

This is my first year going to Bestival! I cannot wait to get there! One question; if my ferry home from Fishbourne (car ferry to Portsmouth) is at 10.30am on the Monday, does anyone have any idea what time I should drive off the festival site to get there?

I have no idea how busy the roads get at the end of the festival, or whether there is some organisation near the docks that split cars into their ferry times?

Any help would be brilliant, as it is the only thing I can't judge properly. (I am used to Glastonbury level traffic etc).

See you on the Island!

Based on last year's traffic, no earlier than 9:45am or by the time you get to Fishbourne, you'll be turned away for getting there too early.

However, every year's a bit different, and with only one car park at the festival site this year, traffic out of the site may be heavier, which is to say, there may be some traffic. Usually there isn't any at all these days.

Incidentally, it's not very likely that the 10:30am ferry will actually leave at 10:30am, but again that's something that's been getting better every year.

See you on the Island!

Its generally not too bad. As the only way on and off the island is via a ferry, and for vehicles it is prebooked so you have an allocated time slot, the traffic is usually ok. I pretty much echo what smogo has said