Muse

eldest300

Like others on here, Muse was one of the first bands that i properly got into and went to their gigs, but i also feel like i've moved on and grown out of their music. LCCG 2010 was probably my favourite gig and Reading 2011 was amazing too hearing songs like Hyper Music and Megalomania live. I'd almost certainly still see them if they did headline next year but my expectations of the gig will be nowhere near as high as they have for their gigs in the past

Edited by TheBoz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Muse have always very much been a live band, their albums aren't really that good, the only album which is good is Origins of Symmetry, hullabaloo is their next best as I feel this is the real Muse without the gimmicks, I actually prefer a lot of the b-sides. Black holes and Revelations is ok. Absolution had some great songs but a few poor songs ruined it. Muse are still the best live though for me and it's hard for them to put on a bad show but I think the problem is the last three albums are starting to hurt their live show. It's like they don't like playing songs off their first three albums. I think the decline is the result of not taking a break after Resistance, it's obvious they've lost the spark in the studio and can't reinvent themselves anymore. I think they've become too popular and jumped on the bandwagon before it ends.

Aye, they were my favourite band around Black Holes & Revelations, and the Manchester Arena show on that tour was my first ever gig. I also thought they were great at the LCCC in 2010.

I don't listen to them much anymore, but I'll always have a soft spot for them, and would probably see them if they do Glasto again

I dunno newer fans/some would argue BH&R is the "best" ....I flip between all 3 but normally settle on OoS being the best. (Even Showbiz sometimes I think could be the best...fanboy problems :P)

True but they did have the extra date at the Rioch and I thought the Saturday sold out for the Emirates. (Still I guess the Rioch date covers the 60,000 less London tickets to sell.). Not that it really matters :P

sunday had a smattering of empty seats (my friend bought a ticket on the day and he was givne a choice of 3 places)

Undisclosed Desires is fucking awful, though - their worst song along with Neutron Star Collision.

No, no you can't compare Undisclosed Desires to Neutron Star Collison! I think I am the only person who actually likes it but it holds a special place for me and I don't think its as bad as people make out .

Especially when you have Guiding Light from Resistance! The only song I've actually took a toilet break at during a gig :lol:

Guiding Light and Neutron Star Collision were very much low points for Muse when they started playing them live!

Edited by LondonTom

Personally would love them to headline. Saw them at Wembley in 2010 and they were amazing. Just hope they play stuff off Origin again. Maybe more from the back catalogue as well rather than the latest album - Resistance and 2nd Law both have one or two good tracks but the rest are a bit poor, imo. Don't know if they regularly play Cave / The Small Print / Sunburn live but that would be great!

Origin is their best. Showbiz is second for me personally because I think Absolution has more terrible tracks on it (thoughts of a dying atheist). Black holes was a massive step down for me, there are some tracks I love (invincible, city of delusion, take a bow) and some I hate (mainly starlight and super massive black hole). The 2nd law was better than the resistance but what the fuck are the 2nd law part 1&2? Just an abysmal end to an album which does have some good tracks on it like animals.

I think overall I'd rather they didn't play even though like others on this thread they were the first band I truly loved and the band that helped me love music. It's such a shame for me that they have become the band they have.

No, no you can't compare Undisclosed Desires to Neutron Star Collison! I think I am the only person who actually likes it but it holds a special place for me and I don't think its as bad as people make out .

Especially when you have Guiding Light from Resistance! The only song I've actually took a toilet break at during a gig :lol:

Guiding Light and Neutron Star Collision were very much low points for Muse when they started playing them live!

Haha I forgot Guiding Light even existed. Yeah that's worse than Undisclosed Desires. Before the Emirates gig last year me and my brother were thinking about what cool songs they could play and I said something like "They'll go and play Guiding Light instead now, won't they?" Can't believe they actually bloody did. That encore was stupid.

i really liked Undisclosed Desires when it was released. haven't listened to it in years and can barely remember what it sounds like but i kind of get why people would hate it - it's a bit silly. but yeah, Guiding Light and Neutron Star Collision take the crown as their shittest songs by a long stretch

i remember hearing Uprising for the first time was a massive bummer for me. had so much expectation for that album and had been waiting so long for the single to be released and then... it was the Doctor Who theme tune. was all downhill from there

Origin is their best. Showbiz is second for me personally because I think Absolution has more terrible tracks on it (thoughts of a dying atheist).

that was one of my favourites from the album :P although haven't listened to it in years. re-downloading their discography now so will be interesting to see how i feel about it all now

that was one of my favourites from the album :P although haven't listened to it in years. re-downloading their discography now so will be interesting to see how i feel about it all

now

Oh when the album came out I loved it hahaha, I saw them last year so I listened to everything they ever released, absolution particularly shocked me at how bad quite a lot of it was

nah Endlessly definitely is then at a distant second it's Intro.

T2L part 2 is also my favourite song on that album

yeah Endlessly is the one i always skipped past as a young'un (and Ruled By Secrecy)

i don't think i ever gave The 2nd Law more than one full listen so i should get round to it. just remember it didn't leave much of an impression on me enough to really want go back

Edited by FloorFiller

I love all of Absolution to be honest. Hell, I even like Guiding Light live!

They've still got good music in them (Exogenesis/Isolated System/Animals etc) - they just need to drop the cheese factor and stop trying to be the next U2/Queen. When I first got obsessed with them (after Glasto 2004) I remember liking how serious they were on stage singing about apocalypses etc but off stage they were clowning around. Somewhere the line became too blurred.

Still excellent live, but please spare us the sight of Matt throwing himself onto his knees, sans-guitar, singing 'Follow Me'.

Edited by Lubic87

Agreed. And Glasto crowds seem to really take to Muse as a whole so would be a good booking were it true.

I wanna see them shake things up and play some of their earlier material, throw in Dead Star as well, would be immense! I remember when they first played Wembley Stadium and opened with Knights of Cydonia(I know this isn't OLD material but still a great song particularly live), the place went mad! I've now seen them there 3 times and the only gig I have seen there that was better was Roger Waters doing The Wall

Edited by mungo57

Absent for 4 years? Surely time for a comeback then. At least they wait a while unlike bands such as The Killers who seem to headline every 2 years at a festival on the back of what feels like no new material

In a weird way, in their absence i've kinda got used to the "Muse won't be doing any festivals this year" thing, so it's kinda rubbed off on me that whenever they are suggested for anything I think "nah". Good to see them back in the mix for stuff though.

I need to see them on the pyramid stage, it'd be something else!

The last tour has been shite, hopefully with this "going back to heavy" stance the next tour will be better. There's far too many shit songs in the set at the moment

I totally disagree as I felt last years gig at Manchester was the best set I have seen, I nearly didn't go to that gig but I am so glad I did as it was amazing

I'm definitely intrigued by this heavier sound they are doing :)

I totally disagree as I felt last years gig at Manchester was the best set I have seen, I nearly didn't go to that gig but I am so glad I did as it was amazing

I'm definitely intrigued by this heavier sound they are doing :)

I thought that gig was an improvement on the Manchester Arena show the year before (where they basically missed out all my favourites) and I was delighted to hear Bliss and Dead Star, but there was still so much shit they could have cut out. I mean what was that first encore?