Stage and day splits?

Guest teamcampesinos!

First EOTR was last year, so not a lot of memories to fall back on, but the one set that stood out for me, in terms of being totally unprepared for how good it was, was The Walkmen. Have listened to most of their albums since, and nothing there that would have lead me to believe how good they were that Sunday night.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some (maybe) under the radar recommendations from me...

Friday, Israel Nash, Temples, Ezara Furman, Jenny Lewis

Saturday - Lily & Madeline, Cate Le Bon, St Paul & the Broken Bones

Sunday - Samantha Crain, Benjamin Booker, Lucius

Cheers for that. Had already pencilled in Israel Nash, Lily & Madeline, and maybe Ezra Furman. Must check out Samantha Crain, Cate Le Bon and Benjamin Booker.

Cate Le Bons latest album Mug Museum is good. Quirky and clever. Also, whilst we are on Welsh artists, Sweet baboo is also worth a listen. He plays Bass on Mug Museum, but also has a strong album in his own right.

Also recomended is Horse Thief.

That Sweet Baboo album is great, probably the artist I'm looking forward to most this year

I've got to admit, I was really looking forward to the new Jenny Lewis album, but find myself slightly underwhelmed after a few listens. Bit too polished, nice and forgettable.

That Sweet Baboo album is great, probably the artist I'm looking forward to most this year

I've got to admit, I was really looking forward to the new Jenny Lewis album, but find myself slightly underwhelmed after a few listens. Bit too polished, nice and forgettable.

Really nice album (Ships) from these guys, and that first track 'If I Died...' is an absolute gem. I picture a sunny afternoon at the Garden Stage!

Ezra Furman and Horse Thief were both absolute must sees for me from the outset - Ezra is a force of nature live and a massive upward trajectory, and Horse thief were a breath of fresh air at EOTR two years ago when they got their own daytime plus a Tipi late set.

Kiran Leonard is in the same early slot this time, so am really hopeful he will get a late slot in the Tipi too.

Finally, a shout for Mazes. been slowly doing their own thing for about three years (Jack previously led Beep Seals, who I absolutely loved) and they can be - by turns - surly, charming, chaotic and brilliant.

Some (maybe) under the radar recommendations from me...

Friday, Israel Nash, Temples, Ezara Furman, Jenny Lewis

Saturday - Lily & Madeline, Cate Le Bon, St Paul & the Broken Bones

Sunday - Samantha Crain, Benjamin Booker, Lucius

I'm impressed with the new Israel Nash album "Rain Plans". Very Laurel Canyon, Neil Young influenced country/folk/rock. Anyone who liked Jonathan Wilson a couple of years back should like this. It could be even more special in the Tipi too.

That Sweet Baboo album is great

Seconded. In fact everything he/they have done is pretty wonderful. He has great stage patter too. Probably seen him half a diozen times by now with different band lineups and he's always been interesting and brilliant. Garden stage, hopefully sunny, is a perfect spot too.

Seconded. In fact everything he/they have done is pretty wonderful. He has great stage patter too. Probably seen him half a diozen times by now with different band lineups and he's always been interesting and brilliant. Garden stage, hopefully sunny, is a perfect spot too.

Agree once more. Headliner beside, the Garden Stage on Saturday is essentially just a Welsh act / Turnstile Music showcase, taking in Sweet Baboo, Cate Le Bon, Perfume Genius and Gruff Rhys. So long it's sunny, it's hard to imagine a better afternoon.

Sweet Baboo is one of the nicest artists you can meet. A great performance at Indietracks, of course his band includes H Hawkline, and is also Cate's band so I imagine you might get some overlap in performances and the potential for some interesting late night tipi collaborataions.

PS Wolfamongwolves glad to hear you are coming over to the dark (or should I say wet) side. There are plenty of us over at Green Man. Their forum isn't up to efestivals standard though!

Sweet Baboo is one of the nicest artists you can meet. A great performance at Indietracks, of course his band includes H Hawkline, and is also Cate's band so I imagine you might get some overlap in performances and the potential for some interesting late night tipi collaborataions.

PS Wolfamongwolves glad to hear you are coming over to the dark (or should I say wet) side. There are plenty of us over at Green Man. Their forum isn't up to efestivals standard though!

Thank you perfectpassion , I'm really looking forward to it. I have no idea what to expect really apart from some great music.

I have had a look at the forum . Like you say not up to efestivals standards.

Can be very wet! Slightly bigger than Eotr, but more laid back. It does feel like its part of the local community and there are lots of Welsh acts. I think that there are more things going on late at night specifically dance acts

You can walk to the town along the river. The main stage is bigger and has a stunning backdrop. The walk from the car park to the site was slightly hazzardous in the rain. Everyone is very friendly. Its gonna be great. Still miss eotr though.

Oh not during the festival, but you can either pay to camp earlier in the week, or get there first thing thursday and spend the day sightseeing, only a few bands in the evening.Some people like to have a walk/drink in the morning before the music starts too xD

Edited by perfectpassion

Can be very wet! Slightly bigger than Eotr, but more laid back. It does feel like its part of the local community and there are lots of Welsh acts. I think that there are more things going on late at night specifically dance acts

You can walk to the town along the river. The main stage is bigger and has a stunning backdrop. The walk from the car park to the site was slightly hazzardous in the rain. Everyone is very friendly. Its gonna be great. Still miss eotr though.

Sue is correct about the after hours stuff - it's the one aspect that blows EOTR out of the water in comparison. In fact, the absence of any real, hedonistic, late-night shape-throwing at EOTR is the only thing about it that I find particularly frustrating. Oh, that and when the Woods stage opened! The Garden is hard to equal...

Ben