Stage and day splits?

Guest teamcampesinos!

I have been thinking this is the worst lineup ever for EOTR and seeing it like this just confirms it for me. I usually spend weeks fretting about clashes, this year I am morer worried about how I am going to pass the time ! Too many repeats from previous years and the majority of headliners and sub headliners are really poor in my opinion.

Lets hope the excitement returns next year

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been thinking this is the worst lineup ever for EOTR and seeing it like this just confirms it for me. I usually spend weeks fretting about clashes, this year I am morer worried about how I am going to pass the time ! Too many repeats from previous years and the majority of headliners and sub headliners are really poor in my opinion.

Lets hope the excitement returns next year

Totally agree, it's so disappointing. Where are the interesting indie bands with just a couple of EPs out or due a debut album? Where are the great electronic acts? Where are the up and coming US acts? I would love to know what has changed internally within the EoTR structure to lead to such a lacklustre line-up. EoTR has ALWAYS punched above its weight in terms of line-up, but this year they've seriously under performed. Am listening to the under-card playlist I created, desperately hoping I'll hear something that will excite me. No sign of that happening.

I'm still looking forward to it, but my must-sees on the clashfinder are sparse. I guess I'll be mostly enjoying the vibe this year rather than the music.

Also agree.

That's the reason i sold my tickets and going to the green man. Larmer trees is a beautiful setting, lovely people can't fault it. I will miss not going.

But the safe repeat bookings this year is very disappointing. Nothing electronic in the big top. Lackluster in my opinion.

First year for the green man. Not expecting to love the place so much as eotr. But the line up is a lot more interesting.

Have a good eotr folks.

Also agree.

That's the reason i sold my tickets and going to the green man. Larmer trees is a beautiful setting, lovely people can't fault it. I will miss not going.

But the safe repeat bookings this year is very disappointing. Nothing electronic in the big top. Lackluster in my opinion.

First year for the green man. Not expecting to love the place so much as eotr. But the line up is a lot more interesting.

Have a good eotr folks.

Green Man is no EoTR, it gets too packed and you'll most likely get wet :), but it's still a really great festival. Was only there once but really enjoyed it. Looking at their stellar line-up this year, you'd wonder if perhaps they've nicked some of the EoTR booking staff ;).

Edited by Risteardo

Green Man is no EoTR, it gets too packed and you'll most likely get wet :), but it's still a really great festival. Was only there once but really enjoyed it. Looking at their stellar line-up this year, you'd wonder if perhaps they've nicked some of the EoTR booking staff ;).

To be honest I'm not expecting it to be like eotr, Like I say I can't fault it. Beautiful place. But the line up this year . Repeat syndrome. I have seen that many of the artists at previous years eotr.

The green man is a excellent line up. A lot more imagination.

Am i the only one who thinks the EOTR line up is bloody brilliant?!? YEah, they may be a few 'repeats', but if yr a great artist yr a great artist, surely?!? I could, for instance, see Sigur Ros again & again & again & again etc, and be happy. Obviously, there needs to be a few newbies to get yr teeth into. But i went to my first last yr, the line up wasnt the most inspiring, but the who festival was the best id been to last yr despite. Now this year, there is more for me to get wet about.....

Im going to green man too.....

Am i the only one who thinks the EOTR line up is bloody brilliant?!? YEah, they may be a few 'repeats', but if yr a great artist yr a great artist, surely?!? I could, for instance, see Sigur Ros again & again & again & again etc, and be happy. Obviously, there needs to be a few newbies to get yr teeth into. But i went to my first last yr, the line up wasnt the most inspiring, but the who festival was the best id been to last yr despite. Now this year, there is more for me to get wet about.....

Im going to green man too.....

There are lots of repeats this year. Yes if your a great artist your a great artist. But me personally don't want to see bands time and time again. I love Neil young but would not like to see him every year.

Last year was my sixth eotr. Its a beautiful place no doubt about it. But for me its still all about the music. And its a lot of money to pay if you have seen most the bands before.

I guess, if they are repeated 3/4 times over a 6 year period...and you only goto EOTR, i guess that it would be annoying, yes.

Me personally, as i goto 3 or 4 festys a year, There is always a few peeps youve already seen in the year anyways.

Whatever way you spin it, the GM line-up this year is far superior to EoTR (imho), when normally it's the opposite, despite GM being a bigger festival. Hopefully it's a one year blip for EoTR. Will make a change to be wandering the site a little more aimlessly this year rather than zipping from stage to stage like a blue arsed fly.

If anyone can recommend some of the smaller EoTR bands to me, I'd genuinely love to hear some names. Am liking the Districts, Drenge, Lily & Madeline, Tides of Man, and a few others, but a lot of what I'm hearing is just plain dull. I'd kill for some absorbing electronica or some killer melodic guitar riffs.

@wolfamongwolves, after 6 straight years, will do you good to see life outside EoTR ;). GM is fab. Am envious.

There is a lack of electronica this year. I was hoping that Alexis Taylor might fill that void after that EP he released, but the album is as far away from Hot Chip as you can get.

Adult Jazz are very good. Got a distinct Dirty Projectors vibe about them, definitely different to a lot of the early afternoon bands playing. Eagulls should make you ears ring, likewise Hookworms.

I do think the line-up is pretty diverse this year. We haven't got a lot of the "new" artists that Green Man has got this year (Sharon Van Etten, Real Estate, War On Drugs, Hamilton Leithauser), and certainly plenty of the other artists have played EOTR in the past as well. In fact, looking at it, from a headliner perspective alone, 7 of the 9 have played EOTR before.

The repeats at EOTR do not bother me, and I've been every year since 2008. The repeats make up about 20% of the whole line-up. Some of which I will always love going to see again, others will mean I get an opportunity to check out someone new.

Cannot wait!

Cheers Shoebox. I like the Eagulls album, will give Hookworms and AJ a shot. Can highly recommend Wye Oak live, saw them do a club gig recently and they were superb. Liking the Woods album a lot too.

The main name for me this year is Mark Kozelek, he has released such a large volume of high quality material in the last 12 months. Looks like he'll close out the festival too. I may skip the other headlines and camp out at the front of the Big Top for him.

Yep, missed Woods the last time they played because of the quiz, so looking forward to them (latest album has just finished playing as I type this) and Wye Oak I've been aware of since illegally downloading The Knot way back when I did that sort of thing. it's only recently that I've really starting listening though, so another to add to the list.

Kozelek, I haven't seen since that first EOTR in 2008, and I found him a struggle that day. But I'm more familiar with his work these days, so yeah, I'll be trying to see him.

Chad Vangaalen is one I want to catch as well. Never seen him before, so that's going to be some running between Yo la Tengo, him and Wild Beasts.

Should have mentioned Lucius. Been loving their album this year, should be a lot fun if the sun is shining. Great, poppy hooks.

Sadly it looks as though I'll miss Marissa Nadler due to The Flaming Lips, who's show I just love (despite not having seen them since the Yoshimi tours).

Whatever way you spin it, the GM line-up this year is far superior to EoTR (imho), when normally it's the opposite, despite GM being a bigger festival. Hopefully it's a one year blip for EoTR. Will make a change to be wandering the site a little more aimlessly this year rather than zipping from stage to stage like a blue arsed fly.

If anyone can recommend some of the smaller EoTR bands to me, I'd genuinely love to hear some names. Am liking the Districts, Drenge, Lily & Madeline, Tides of Man, and a few others, but a lot of what I'm hearing is just plain dull. I'd kill for some absorbing electronica or some killer melodic guitar riffs.

@wolfamongwolves, after 6 straight years, will do you good to see life outside EoTR ;). GM is fab. Am envious.

Yes it will be nice to try somewhere else. I have always fancied going to the GM.

Mark kozeleck in the big top 2008 eotr loved him.

Yep, missed Woods the last time they played because of the quiz, so looking forward to them (latest album has just finished playing as I type this) and Wye Oak I've been aware of since illegally downloading The Knot way back when I did that sort of thing. it's only recently that I've really starting listening though, so another to add to the list.

Kozelek, I haven't seen since that first EOTR in 2008, and I found him a struggle that day. But I'm more familiar with his work these days, so yeah, I'll be trying to see him.

Chad Vangaalen is one I want to catch as well. Never seen him before, so that's going to be some running between Yo la Tengo, him and Wild Beasts.

Should have mentioned Lucius. Been loving their album this year, should be a lot fun if the sun is shining. Great, poppy hooks.

Sadly it looks as though I'll miss Marissa Nadler due to The Flaming Lips, who's show I just love (despite not having seen them since the Yoshimi tours).

I love the 1st tune on the Marissa Nadler album, but am struggling with it otherwise. I'm liking Chad VanGaalen, will mark him down. Agreed re Lucius. I'll enjoy YLT & BSP for the umpteenth time, there are some good tunes on the Pink Mountaintops album, Tiny Ruins is a must, as is Traams & Perfume Genius. Wild Beasts are a puzzle to me, I loved Two Dancers but the recent albums haven't done it for me, and when they played Dublin this year, I much preferred the support, East India Youth. But there should be enough to keep me busy, and maybe this time I might actually wander from the stages and catch some of the secret shows in the woods.

Edited by Risteardo

Each to their own and all that. Its just i think the EOTR line up this is bloody blinding! and to hear a lot of peeps saying how lacking and not up to its usual level is odd to me....probably just me though...

Maybe you're right, maybe it is up to the usual standard but instead it's my taste that's messed up ;). I'm not trying to be a smart-arse, but I've been going since 2008 because of the wonderful set up and because it's been bang-on with the kind of music I've been listening to. Maybe that's not so much the case any longer.

Edited by Risteardo

Each to their own and all that. Its just i think the EOTR line up this is bloody blinding! and to hear a lot of peeps saying how lacking and not up to its usual level is odd to me....probably just me though...

That's right.

Each to there own. Some find it blinding , some not so blinding. You can't keep everyone happy. Green man line up appeals to me more. But that's just me.