Discarded cigarette stubs

Guest Earl Barrett

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People may not feel that ignorance is a suitable excuse, but it is almost certainly a reason why people drop their butts. Ignorance, lazyness and simply because that is what people have become accustomed to doing.

I'm not really sure how it helps anyone for people to sit in judgement however and expect that somehow that situation will change without the festival organisers taking some positive action to help themselves.

Very similar to the rubbish issue as a whole really and whilst not acceptable, if you make limited effort to educate people and zero effort to provide an alternative, then you kind of have to expect what you get.

People slate others for these things, yet how many of those would themselves stand up to any serious scrutiny about aspects of their own behaviour? Are we all perfect citzens who live our lives in a borderline saintly fashion or are we fallible human beings who make mistakes.

So you get caught short once in 20 years of attending the festival and pee in a hedge when inebriated....Should you be put in front of the firing squad or is it actually just part of being a normal everyday person who occasionally does the wrong thing?

Now of course their are plenty of people who act like utter morons, but the vast majoirty are likely to respond positively when they are made aware of an issue and if an effort is made to provide an alternative to carrying stinking fag butts around in your pockets, then Im sure people would use it.

Edited by progue

Oh fuck off.

I didnt litter all weekend.

I dont smoke.

Rubbish was always put in the correct bin.

I didnt pee anywhere other than a toilet.

And we had a campervan so truly left no trace.

I even emptied the grey water in the correct area which was a pain in the arse. Several trips with a bucket as it didn't have a removable tank. Most would have just dumped it where they were parked before driving off.

I just think its a bit rich to expect people to carry butts around in a tin rather than put some designated bins for them. Bit like the outside of any pub, restaurant, hotel, train station, high street etc etc.

if you can carry a packet of cigs around, you can carry a pocket ashtray. it's like having a dog and carrying poop bags with you. here it's a £50 fine for any sort of littering so it's second nature to never drop a fag end.

i got my ashtray thing off a local council enviro warden a few years ago. compact, no smell and no need to even stub out. it's a magical thing. they do similar on amazon for a couyple of quid. http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Ashtray-Black-Pocket/dp/B0042A5PBI/ref=pd_sim_kh_1/277-0983191-0083830?ie=UTF8&refRID=0YBX36YGT64CARMNCDRR

i can't see how a special cig bin would be any good. there are landfill bins everywhere! though they did used to have sand buckets outside the peel tent etc when the smoking ban was new, i think.

Arsey?

Being labelled as a tragic inconsiderate prick / c**t for suggesting cigarette bins might encourage folk to use them instead of pinging to the ground? Ok then!

The one upsmanship to be the nicest and best Glastonbury fan on this forum is laughable bollocks. Nobody is going to shake your hand for it.

Interesting values / priorities where abusing a fellow human being for offering a contrasting opinion is OK yet throwing a fag butt on the floor is crime of the century.

As for discarding butt's in the normal bins I'd suggest that is not ideal for 2 reasons.

1. That does not promote the idea of properly disposing of butt's.

2. It requires people to carefully remove the entire lit end and could present a fire hazard.

Providing receptacles around site for the safe disposal of cigarette butts is a very sensible idea.

Interesting values / priorities where abusing a fellow human being for offering a contrasting opinion is OK yet throwing a fag butt on the floor is crime of the century.

As for discarding butt's in the normal bins I'd suggest that is not ideal for 2 reasons.

2. It requires people to carefully remove the entire lit end and could present a fire hazard.

Providing receptacles around site for the safe disposal of cigarette butts is a very sensible idea.

Why would a selfish prick use a cigarette bin when they dont use a regular bin?? Thats where my confusion is. Or are you consciously being a twat as some sort of punishment to the festival for not supplying you with a cigarette bin at every turn?

Unfortunately even the magical la la land of Glastonbury cant make decent people out of cu*ts

CG, I am not being condesceding at all and I resent the implication. I am highlighting the fact that individual posters find it appropriate to be offensive to another person, whilst at the same time criticising other people for tossing a cigarette butt and I think it is a fair point.

As for the comments about sticking it in non-recyclable and putting it out on your foot "It's not difficult" etc..

As I said, that does little to resolve the problem and I would reiterate that it is a potential fire hazard...regardless of whether or not it is difficult for a fully sober individual.

What exactly is the issue with the orhanisers providing a few proper safe sand bins for cigarette disposal ?

And maybe even giving out a few of the little cigarette disposal jobbies perhaps (They were giving them out in 2010 or 2011 and raising awareness, when the GP were still about I seem to remember)

Well that's the reality. The reality is that the organisers appear to be making as little effort to solve the problem as the people who litter.

Fine if that is what they want to do, but the reality is that it won't change anything. Likewise running people down on an obscure Internet forum for doing what amounts to pretty common practice also gets us nowhere either.

A few practical solutions however?