Would Kanye at Glastonbury work?

mattgimmeshelter

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yer he was amazing last night I thought, I'm made up he did blood on the leaves 3 times :P

The rant wasn't too bad either thoroughly enjoyed the show

Am I missing something as to why he repeats songs and you strange people who have paid money to see him lap it up?

Am I missing something as to why he repeats songs and you strange people who have paid money to see him lap it up?

because it's an amazing song with an amazing drop that really gets the crowed going. he only played about half of it the first two times (the first time because he said he just felt like it mid-way through the set, and the second time was followed immediately by the third time during the encore). it didn't take the place of another song in his set or anything - he played the exact same set as he did in London, but with the addition of this fantastic song twice more

What’s wrong with Beyonce?

(I probably wouldn’t even see Kanye as there’d likely be something I prefer on somewhere else, but I’d like to see him booked for it.)

She's a borderline psychotic control freak, terminally and disgustingly in love with money and self-promotion.

Just like a shitload of other brilliant performers, if we banned them from Glastonbury then we'd be missing out.

Right. Don’t really care about any of that, personally. I hate capitalism ideologically, but I can’t really get too upset about individuals who like money. It’s not their fault.

Like, she has great pop songs, and I generally find all the pontificating about artist/performer’s perceived personality faults absolutely daft. Not because they never matter at all, but because the people doing it don’t know them as people at all. Much like with Kanye, there’s plenty of stuff to like about Beyonce, which lots of people on the internet with more intelligence on the subject than me have written about. I think pop culture is better off with both of them.

And, again, great pop songs (Beyonce). As you say, great performers are great performers.

Edit: I can see people’s points about why Kanye might be a risky booking, though. It is all about him. That isn’t a problem (Prince?), but those rants could be off-putting, admittedly.

Edited by bocumaroy

because it's an amazing song with an amazing drop that really gets the crowed going. he only played about half of it the first two times (the first time because he said he just felt like it mid-way through the set, and the second time was followed immediately by the third time during the encore). it didn't take the place of another song in his set or anything - he played the exact same set as he did in London, but with the addition of this fantastic song twice more

I still just don't get it I guess ...its like all the whole thing when people were saying how amazing doing Niggas In Paris 10 times was?

Put it this way, would you want Arcade Fire to do Wake Up 10 times in a set? :P (or in this case 3 times).

If i was a fan, I'd rather he dropped a rarity or something than the same song.

Edited by LondonTom

Let's stop believing that some of the bigger names "get the festival" anyway, get what parts? Back stage hospitality for the 20 minutes they're on site before and after they play?

Musically, there's been other stuff on the bill like this and he is famous as hell.

I agree, a line was crossed with Beyonce, and the rabbit's out of the hat and other such metaphors.

Another night I won't be near the pyramid stage is always good for me. Going there for headliners twice this year made me feel bad! :)

I still just don't get it I guess ...its like all the whole thing when people were saying how amazing doing Niggas In Paris 10 times was?

Put it this way, would you want Arcade Fire to do Wake Up 10 times in a set? :P (or in this case 3 times).

If i was a fan, I'd rather he dropped a rarity or something than the same song.

He's not missing out any rarities to do it though. He played exactly the same set as the previous nights except he added playing a fan favourite song 2 more times.

Wake up isn't really comparable as it isnt a high energy song, id enjoy it if they did wake up 3 times with no consequences on the rest of the set however something like metallica doing enter sandman 3 times makes more sense as itd send the crowd wild

regardless of whatever anybody thinks, if he's up for doing it then it'll definitely happen in the next few years. he's one of the few remaining acts who could do it who hasn't yet done it (and the fact that he's different from your general men with guitars means he'd be a much more interesting proposition than most)

said at the end of his Wireless set that he's heading to the studio to continue work on his new album so a 2015 / 2016 headline set from him is rather likely i'd have thought. as somebody said earlier, he definitely has more recognisable songs than Jay Z (in fact i'd argue that the bulk of Jay Z's recognisable songs / hits in the UK came after his headline slot) so unless he's got some aversion to doing it, why not?

Edited by FloorFiller

I agree with the 'more interesting than most' POV and certainly more interesting than Kasabian or Mumford & Sons.

But it would be neither the time nor the place for a 20 minute rant on how the fashion industry doesn't take him seriously.

It was neither the time nor the place for 20 mins of rubbish from your new album, but Arcade Fire didn't give a shit.

yeah i agree that the rant(s) could be a problem. i could see people getting pissed off at the Birmingham Wireless and that was only a 5 minute rant at most - i can only imagine how the apparent 20 minute one at London went down. i think a lot of people / fans go to his shows expecting, and even possibly wanting a rant (it's pretty much a given at his shows, moreso than some of the songs in some cases), but to a crowd of casual watchers it'd definitely have them flocking the other way

I agree with the 'more interesting than most' POV and certainly more interesting than Kasabian or Mumford & Sons.

But it would be neither the time nor the place for a 20 minute rant on how the fashion industry doesn't take him seriously.

Yeah. Gary Ridgway is more interesting than both but I wouldn't want him on the stage either.

Kanye going on about Louis Vuitton bags at 5k a pop. The Glasto spirit!

Edited by The Nal