Would Kanye at Glastonbury work?

mattgimmeshelter

so I went and listened to it, and found that he's just sampled some Nirvana tunes and rapped over them.

A band sampling another track without any extra creativity is, in my opinion, an extremely lazy thing to do and just shows lack of creativity.

There are no tracks on Yeezus in which he merely raps over a Nirvana 'tune'...

In fact, there aren't even any Nirvana samples on Yeezus as far as I'm aware.

I wouldn't call Kanye's use of samples 'lazy' either (obvious exceptions like Diamonds aside).

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just didn't find that rant entertaining in any way - it's got to kill the atmosphere. Win, lars and tom may have big egos but they kept speeches to a minimum, at least had enthusiasm and it was mainly about the music. Even bono never goes on that long.

Rather than a car crash i think i'd rather watch some musicians perform songs? There's nothing wrong with a caricature but if he says interesting stuff 'once in a while' i wouldn't want to gamble on hearing that drivel...

I'm pretty sure that rant he's done there is pre-planned, I think he does one everytime he plays "Runaway" and it was the same each night on the Watch The Throne tour. He basically went on about how much of an asshole he was and his girlfriend checking his emails or something.

People are right he's a massive twat but so many musicians and performers are, however I think he'd absolutely smash a headline slot. He's one of the best performers I've ever seen live and he's got more hits than you could shake a stick at.

I was at wireless, thought he was amazing live... I personally didn't mind the rant as I know he always does it as part of the show, but his actual performance was really really impressive.

Would be excellent for Glastonbury I think

Those saying him being a twat is no different to any other headliner being a twat; how do those performers incorporate being a twat into their set?

He's got so many fans really that are going to lap up whatever he does and go there expecting some buffoonery, and that's fair enough, but at Glastonbury that's going to be dwarfed by the amount of people going along to see a headliner they enjoy the music of perform a headline set. And we can say with a degree of certainty he wouldn't omit a huge rant or some stunt to grab column inches at a massive broadcast live performance as we know what he gets up to on live TV at any opportunity. He'd probably put on an amazing show without any fucking about but that's not gonna happen and from what I hear about his shows, there are going to be a lot of people unprepared and unwilling to tolerate a ten minute rant ready to pan the performance and move on. So as great a performance it could well be, I can't be arsed with the festival becoming his soapbox so I'm not for it.

It would be a massive risk, much more so than metallica. He looked fantastic at coachella, but at wireless and big chill his rants seem to alienate lots of the more casual audience. I reckon he could pull it off great if he plays it smart and doesnt just indulge his ego.

Fuck yes. One of the best creative visionaries of our generation and BOUND to wind up the "true spirit of Glastonbury" lot (tossers) - do it, do it, DO IT!

I've no issue with his ego - hes a twat but so what, lots of twats play - however surely the "true spirit of Glastonbury" doesn't involve shameless and relentless capitalism?

I'm sure Wateraid, Greenpeace and the Drop the Debt crowd would love to hear him bitch like a victim from the stage about how hes been shafted with his Louis Vuitton endorsements.

Shite music, massive twat

This video concurs...

It's one of the worst songs and videos I've ever heard/ seen- then I listened to the actual lyrics and it got even worse!

"I wanna f*** you hard on the sink

After that, give you something to drink

Step back, can't get spunk on the mink

I mean damn, what would Jeromey Romey Romey Rome think?

Hey, you remember where we first met?

Okay, I don't remember where we first met

But hey, admitting is the first step

And hey, you know ain't nobody perfect

And I know, with the hoes I got the worst rep

But hey, their backstroke I'm tryna perfect

And hey, ayo, we made it, Thanksgiving

So hey, maybe we can make it to Christmas

She asked me what I wished for on my wishlist

Have you ever asked your b**** for other b****es?

Maybe we could still make it to the church steps

But first, you gon' remember how to forget

After all these long-ass verses

I'm tired, you tired, Jesus wept"

Jesus wept, indeed!

Edited by Mr.Tease

He did all falsl down, but not gold digger, or niggas in paris

Hardly suprising he didn't do niggas in paris, as I think him and Jay Z done it about a million times on their joint tour. (Hailed as some sort of a masterstroke).

He would be utter utter shite at Glastonbury just as he is about 99% of the time else where.

The only objection I'd have to him headlining is the "All about Kanye " media circus he would bring to Glastonbury. (Because Glastonbury clearly don't mind having shit acts headline...such as Beyonce and Mumfords.)

Edited by LondonTom

just got back from Wireless (Birmingham) and Kanye was great and had the crowd eating from his hands. sure, the rant he did got a bit tiresome (i hear his London one was worse so that's good) and the fact that he never seems to properly finish a song bar one or two is a little frustrating, but overall, fantastic setlist, great live performer and a great show. he requested a pit get opened for his last song and it was so much fun

would it work at Glastonbury? yeah, sure, and i honestly think the Glastonbury crowd would be more open to his rants / showmanship etc than the Wireless one were (could see a lot of bemused faces and comments over him wearing a mask or his request that the side screens be all red for one song etc). come his next album cycle i really hope Glastonbury snatches him up. it'd be fantastic