Walking back through the Pyramid on Friday and Saturday night, I actually thought the rubbish wasn't as bad as usual, certainly not the blanket of rubbish I've seen in the past. By the looks of the photos it was bad again on the Sunday but a lot more people seem to camp there all day then

5,000 tents is at least 5,000 thoughtless selfish people who shouldn't come back. Walking through a field of abandoned tents really got to me this year.

Ain't that the truth.

When you have the likes of Halfords doing a 4 man tent, 4 airbeds, 4 sleeping bags etc in a package for 100 quid or so, you can sort of see why the uncaring element would just chuck in 20-30 each then leave everything behind. Disposable society, sickening.

No, the rubbish on thePyramid wasnt that bad until the Monday. What was bad was the Park, the area above it and the Stone Circle. When it rains the litter situation improves immeasurably as people arent sitting in one place all day.

The crew fields can be messy at the end, after all Oxfam had to move fields because the farmer was so cross at the state of his field.

Can't help thinking that number of tents left has increased along with increased numbers coming by coach. Also muddy conditions and cheap tents mean some people can't be bothered to lug it all home again. We were disappointed with our new tents but would not have left them. I left a bed roll by mistake and the water carrier but otherwise all rubbish bagged up. Can't say the same for girls camped behind us who left a large tent and loads of stuff.

And what was it doing over the course of the festival?

Think it was found on Wednesday....zipped up in a tent....scared and hungry.

My guess is that someone who came on site after the Festival.....there are a lot of vultures that descend pretty much unchallenged....brought it in and left it.

Staff camping,they have they're own.

I can confirm that there were probably the same amount of selfish c***s in the area of (outside fence) crew camping where I was.

Quite possibly the reason said crew camping had been moved from last year, from a very quiet spot to next door to the naughty corner.

Ain't that the truth.

When you have the likes of Halfords doing a 4 man tent, 4 airbeds, 4 sleeping bags etc in a package for 100 quid or so, you can sort of see why the uncaring element would just chuck in 20-30 each then leave everything behind. Disposable society, sickening.

But surely 1 out of 4 people would go "well if you fuckers don't want it I'll have it!"

I can confirm that there were probably the same amount of selfish c***s in the area of (outside fence) crew camping where I was.

Quite possibly the reason said crew camping had been moved from last year, from a very quiet spot to next door to the naughty corner.

That's a shame you would of thought that staff would be more in tune with the ethos of the festival.

They should just have a mini-prison set up with soundproof walls on-site where people who litter, steal, shout abuse or deal drugs (taking should just be a warning) are locked up for the duration of the festival. The prospect of missing the festival should be enough to deter people.

isn't that just the same as being arrested? or am I missing something...

I think that the current justice system is giving out too many custodial sentences to people who haven't earned them (and letting off those in the ruling classes who have), but the souless sack of shit that left the dog should be given 5 years at least.

isn't that just the same as being arrested? or am I missing something...

Don't you let people out after 24 hours though if they have been arrested for crimes like petty theft etc. I think the proposal by crazyguy was to dispense with any of that habaeous corpus nonsense.

Personally I think that holding kangaroo courts for tent thieves etc is the way forward. That way they could be dispatched quickly and humanely!

I think that the current justice system is giving out too many custodial sentences to people who haven't earned them (and letting off those in the ruling classes who have), but the souless sack of shit that left the dog should be given 5 years at least.

That's about the same sentence for 12 counts of sexually abusing 8-15 year old girls these days. Leaving a dog is bad, but not that bad.

Don't you let people out after 24 hours though if they have been arrested for crimes like petty theft etc. I think the proposal by crazyguy was to dispense with any of that habaeous corpus nonsense.

Personally I think that holding kangaroo courts for tent thieves etc is the way forward. That way they could be dispatched quickly and humanely!

ah, I see. Probably less than 24hours, sadly..

Then they go to the Festival's very own eviction tent and quite often let get back in to the Festival :(

I wonder where they're getting the figures from - the article mentions an estimated number of tents but no indication of who is doing the estimation. 11 tonnes divided by 5500 tents equals 2kg per tent. That's some pretty lightweight tents right there, especially when the 11 tonne figure supposedly includes 6,500 sleeping bags, 3,500 airbeds, 2,200 chairs, 950 rolled mats and 400 gazebos.

It might be fair to assume that at least some of these estimated figures are what are referred to in media circles as 'bollocks'.

ah, I see. Probably less than 24hours, sadly..

Then they go to the Festival's very own eviction tent and quite often let get back in to the Festival :(

That must be super annoying for you, as much as it is for the honest paying punters who are getting stolen from. I used to be required to piss into the wind occasionally in my last job - never a pleasant experience.

That must be super annoying for you, as much as it is for the honest paying punters who are getting stolen from. I used to be required to piss into the wind occasionally in my last job - never a pleasant experience.

it's not unlike the court system - we're used to it ;-)

plus, it's GFLs party, not ours, so they can let them back in if they wish....

Staff camping,they have they're own.

Not all staff camp in staff camping, and as far as I know they still bring their own tents, so stuff will get left behind there too.

That's about the same sentence for 12 counts of sexually abusing 8-15 year old girls these days. Leaving a dog is bad, but not that bad.

Not these days. It's the same sentence of 12 counts of sexually abusing 8-15 year girls at the time that he did it. The sentence is higher these days, but my understanding is he was sentenced under the guidelines that were in place in when the crime was committed, hence the relatively light sentence.

Not all staff camp in staff camping, and as far as I know they still bring their own tents, so stuff will get left behind there too.

Not these days. It's the same sentence of 12 counts of sexually abusing 8-15 year girls at the time that he did it. The sentence is higher these days, but my understanding is he was sentenced under the guidelines that were in place in when the crime was committed, hence the relatively light sentence.

But the sentence was handed out at this time, I meant the historical abuse of children was worth 5 years.

I must admit I did leave my tent. But I did clean up after myself on site.... Dropped litter like we all do in crowds. But made a point of picking some littler up here and there.

I thought that they collected the tents and gave them to charity?

If you're not trolling I'd brace yourself. It's not like you've not been on this forum long enough seeing loads of threads on waste nor had various FAQs pointed out over months :(
  • Upvote 1

RE the dog, don't get your pitchforks out yet, guys - it's an incredibly large site, for all we know, the dog may have run off, with the owner searching for hours, before eventually giving up, knowing that if it was found onsite (assuming it was even onsite - for all they may have known, it could have bolted out of one of the gates) they'd be able to retrieve it, although I'll admit it's odd they didn't speak to Lost Property or similar. Give it a week or two and I think then it'll be fair to judge.

I did see one dog in the front passenger seat of a Landrover a member of security was driving, but I can't remember what breed it was (only me going 'aww', I know it was fluffy, or a labrador, border collie, or something along those lines. Fairly sure medium size.) nor what day it was (although fairly sure it wasn't Monday, that I'm less certain about though, although I'm moderately confident. Anyone know if any security had dogs on site?

It definitely wasn't a GSD (or any of the Shepherd breeds, barring perhaps a Dutch Shepherd), Bloodhound, Doberman, Rottweiler, Mastiff, Pitbull, Beagle, Basset Hound, Foxhound, Schnauzer, Weimaraner, Coonhound or Spaniel. Sorry for the long list, but people's memory about these things is notoriously bad, and it's far easier to remember what it wasn't (those mainly being the sniffer/police breeds) than what it was.

Edited by eoJ

I must admit I did leave my tent. But I did clean up after myself on site.... Dropped litter like we all do in crowds. But made a point of picking some littler up here and there.

I thought that they collected the tents and gave them to charity?

I think they made a serious error some years back when they said that if you leave your tent behind then they are going to gather them up and give them to the scouts or something. People took this as a cue to leave their tents where they stood and walk off site. What the organisers had meant was for people to drop their tents and place them in piles for later collection (well, that's the way I've read into it anyway).

Not too sure why you dropped litter in one area and then picked it up in others?

I had thought our campsite this year wasn't going to be salvageable as for the first time nobody seemed to pick up the litter as we went along. However, I'm happy to report that it was cleaned up thoroughly in the end. And who started the cleaning up - a nice young lad of 17 who was in our group and over from Ireland for the festival. It was really pleasing to see that he'd taken the leave no trace message to heart.