'This has been the highlight of our careers' etc

Guest Midnight Man

I think some of you guys are being a bit cynical. Being a musician myself, I would think playing Glastonbury is the pinnacle of many bands/ artists careers (whatever the stage they're on). The history of the place and the place it holds in the English psyche, particularly for 'British' acts is not to be underestimated.

I've done quite a few Glastonbury's now, and over the hundreds of bands I've seen, one thing that is always constant is the joy you can see on a lot of the bands faces at being there. Most bands love it as much as we do......that's one of the reasons Glastonbury is such a magical place. Reading, Chelmsford, Isle of Wight, etc. are simply concerts in a field by comparison.

Billy from The Subways declaring 'Y'know what, I've always wanted to crowdsurf at Glastonbury...ah fuck it' then running headlong into the crowd was awesome. Looked like they were all having the best time. I imaging that for them the emerging talent comp was their big break so Glastonbury is really special to them!

One band who seemed genuinely a bit overwhelmed were london grammar, they played an incredible set, talking about their past trips to glastonbury as punters and their tiny show they played last year. The response they got was insane.

I think for a lot of british bands in particular it's such a part of our music culture that if bands play there and get a get a good response it's gonna mean a lot.

I mentioned something about this in the Glastonbury Moments thread a couple of days ago. Saw several acts who seemed genuinely glad to be there, but probably the most excited band I remember seeing was Jagwar Ma at the Park. It pissed down for almost the whole set and the singer kept thanking the crowd for sticking with it, then it stopped raining about 10 minutes before the end. When they finished every member of the band came to the front of the stage clapping and waving with beaming smiles, then they went off stage hugging each other.

They meant it.

I've seen loads of bands really really mean it - seen several break down in tears. I think the doubters are too cynical. I'm sure for a few bands it's not the first time they've played to such crowds but it's still a very up for it and excitable crowd

Lamb's attempted goodbye and thank you speech in the Avalon springs immediately to mind, and the first Mumfords gig in JP - both very emotional moments

I found Dolly Parton insincerely going on about how it was a real honour and a real privilege to be there a bit hard to swallow, but then she is a pro, and a good Christian girl, so I put it down to her parents always telling her to be polite.

Having just come from the dire Hyde park Arcade Fire crowd, I can guarantee that they meant it at Glasto. Completely different gig tonight, quick thank you at the end from the band - no long gushing, no throwing the mike in the crowd, no starting mass Wake Up sing-a-longs...Glasto was clearly a highlight for them

Having just come from the dire Hyde park Arcade Fire crowd, I can guarantee that they meant it at Glasto. Completely different gig tonight, quick thank you at the end from the band - no long gushing, no throwing the mike in the crowd, no starting mass Wake Up sing-a-longs...Glasto was clearly a highlight for them

Yeah, Metallica needed a big gig after so much controversy , to put things right. Lars had wanted to play for ages. It was a new surrounds, a chance to open up to a new audience at probably the best place to put down your marker as an artist. Although it probably wasn't THE best gig of their career (playing to a reported one million fans in Moscow must be within a shot of that) but it was genuinely a massive highlight sure to the unique nature of the gig and festival.