Dolly Parton MIming?

wbarenno

Who cares? She's 68, there's no way she could have that sort of energy on stage and sing at the same time.

When I turned round to look at the crowd at the end of 9-5 I've literally never seen so many grinning faces - what could be more important than that?

Why does being 68 have any bearing on her not singing live?

There are other artists older and slightly younger than her who sing live all the way through for 1 1/2 or 2 hours. as mentioned earlier Debbie Harry managed it and got slated for it.

Bruce Forsythe, Rolling Stones, Yoko Ono, Shirley Bassey to name only a small few.

There are other artists older and slightly younger than her who sing live all the way through for 1 1/2 or 2 hours. as mentioned earlier Debbie Harry managed it and got slated for it.

Bruce Forsythe, Rolling Stones, Yoko Ono, Shirley Bassey to name only a small few.

Because some 68 year olds are as fit as a fiddle and some are dead, Dolly's somewhere in between. In fairness to her in comments past she's said (to paraphrase) i'm not trying to cheat you just give the best show I can. I think she's doing her best to make people happy. I personally would rather see her sing live and not be be perfect, but I can understand her doing what she does.

Personally, I'd prefer if they just truly sung their songs all the way through their career, and just slowly went downhill. People say bad things about Paul McCartney's voice (although men tend to get less vocal degradation), but I'd much rather hear him truly singing than him lipsyncing. If your voice is at the point of being totally wrecked, then I think it's preferable to just do smaller gigs for the truly dedicated fans, and do speaking/find another path. If I go to see you perform, I want to see you singing, not a recording of you singing. You may get a smaller crowd, but if Jack White was suddenly no longer able to play the guitar very well, he would too.

merely an entertainer.

"Entertainment" isn't a dirty word, Ploppy.

Especially when the entertainment is built on a foundation of copper-bottomed classic self-penned songs like Coat Of Many Colours.

I'll grant you she isn't a serious, credible, prosaic, none more black non-novelty act like, I dunno, The National or something.

• Upvote 1

Can't believe this is still running. She sang along with pre recorded vocals on a lot of the songs, chances are what you heard was 95% the pre-recorded vocals. Does that mean she can claim she wasn't miming?........ yes, would 99% of us think that is effectively miming? Yes

• 4 months later...

watched it last night - she definitely wasn't miming her plastic face means it doesn't display the movement you saw in a younger Dolly but she was clearly singing - even throwing in an ad lib or extra warble - either she's the best lip syncher ever or she was singing live at no point did the sound deviate from what we saw - I think people watching are kjust unused to teh daly on the screens at the Pyramid.

What a crowd that was, most people ever in a field in the UK, hollerin' 'Amen'? Quite possibly!

there's a delay if you're watching from half way back - at any show there - due to the time it takes sound travel. The original rumours she was miming were publicised as fans said her words weren't in time with the images they were watching when she was singing - throughout this didn't happen.

she didn't do much energetic, unles you're suggesting she'd get out of breath walking? Or out of breath singing something she's done effortlessly since she was a kid.

Definitely don't watch Emmy Lou Harris or Joan Baez then - they really go for it - and aren't out of breath -

/me rubs knees imagining Joan Baez's talking sultry honeyed purr with an out of breath tinge (bites knuckles) - goes for a lie down!

She definitely misses a few notes during the medley that begins with 'Old Flames Can't Hold a Candle to You' - seems weird to put errors in the track to mime to - unless that's to make it more realistic?

Also her 'Islands in the Stream' lacked the punch she used to perform with - again to make it look more realistic?

The messed up sound with her head mic and hand mic would have been unnecessary too if she weas miming? Or was that to make it look more realistic

Edited by 5co77ie
spelling