Dolly Parton MIming?

wbarenno

oh yea. I didn't realise you could control them. And yes, it's just the same a the other Cologne version.

PS ... anyone else think the stewards doing their thang look pretty flippin' daft? If I'd been close enough to see them, they'd have been just an annoying distraction. We saw them rehearsing down by the Water Aid stall before her show.

I don't think the idea of the Dolly

mob was to look like a pro dancing group, it was meant to be a bit daft. It was a great way to get people geared up for Dolly and enthused.

PS ... anyone else think the stewards doing their thang look pretty flippin' daft? If I'd been close enough to see them, they'd have been just an annoying distraction. We saw them rehearsing down by the Water Aid stall before her show.

Yep. They should've been beheaded immediately after. Via the red button.

For all those that seem so bothered about whether she was or wasn't miming (as if it mattered), there is one inescapable fact...

You were watching the wrong act.

Avalon Stage - North Mississippi Allstars was where you should have been. Sensationally good. No miming.. deffo.

This one sounds a bit like an old Beatles double track!

First vid should start at 6 seconds and the 2nd vid at 2 seconds.

Ahhh, those were separate recordings. AGAIN lending more evidence that Dolly IS singing them all live, and just knows the songs really well. Probably.

Not that I've listened to them, I might be talking bollocks.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

The version on Good Morning posted earlier shows dolly playing a guitar without a capo. Glastonbury's version shows both guitarist using a capo on fourth fret. I am watching on my phone at the moment so need to study it closer later. The only way Dolly can play guitar with those talons is with one finger in open tuning which makes me doubt whether she is playing live on either recording but I'll watch it again a big bigger later.

Edited by Pink_Tequila

The version on Good Morning posted earlier shows dolly playing a guitar without a capo. Glastonbury's version shows both guitarist using a capo on fourth fret. I am watching on my phone at the moment so need to study it closer later. The only way Dolly can play guitar with those talons is with one finger in open tuning which makes me doubt whether she is playing live on either recording but I'll watch it again a big bigger later.

Hope you looked again and saw the plectrum on her thumb.

but what's she doing with her fretting hand? There's no way on earth she's fretting any strings, apart from maybe the bottom 'e' string. Yet you can hear the higher strings changing note. She's miming.

I have seen folks with longer nails than that play guitar - very easy if you are good enough, or in this case, the tune is simple.

Main thing is, there's no question that Dolly is a musician and an outstanding songwriter, but, and i say this as truthfully as i'm aware and as a sound engineer for the last 25 years, at least half of the tracks performed at glastonbury I am sure had pre recorded lead vocals to a) enhance Dollys live vocal and B) for her to mime to.

So is this is fake and miming too then??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWNcWVxprDA

No! It is in open g using barre chords and the occasional bass run. I cannot see on the good morning clip what she is doing with her fretting hand. Although it does sound live and I would love to learn to play that version of Jolene on guitar! Edited by Pink_Tequila

I dont understand the point.

The My Tennessee video is obviously live with a guitar detuning and all is good - but what does that have to do with her miming at Glastonbury?

She is obviously a great songwriter, singer and is a musician... but she wasnt 2 of those things at Glastonbury 2014 and the fact there is a video of her pre-plastic phase is great - but that was a long time ago and her age may well have had an impact on her ability to perform live as she did when she was younger.

Saying that though... it didnt stop Debbie Harry ;-)

Which tracks demonstrate the miming best then? Just watched first track - seemed absolutely fine. Can't be assed watching the whole thing again (enjoyed it live). Where do I skip to look for evidence?

Anything where's she's "playing an instrument".

I was stood at the back of the field and heard the massive difference between her talking voice and the "voice" singing Jolene. Plus I doubt they'd be able to get the Level of vocal out of the PA using just her (I'm guessing) DPA head mic whilst she was whispering some of the Vocals. It would have fed back like a squealing Pig