Dolly Parton MIming?

wbarenno

Not particularly.

I enjoyed her set & I recognise she's a talented lady though.

You think she sang it all? Really? If she's miming the sax why not the vocals on - admittedly very tough song - 9 to 5?

Fair play to Dollsie. Derren Browne would have struggled harder to fool people.

She mimed 1000% and any denial from her managment is on a parr with Suarez saying that he 'fell' into the Italian lads shoulder.

My wife works with a lass who used to look after booking at the Manchester Evening News Arena, the way artists get around it is that to call it a 'Live' performance they must sing at least one song Live, Dolly did this by singing the 'Mud, Mud, Mud' song live.

At the end of the day, she's 68 and her voice is most likely not as on form as years gone by but I wish they wouldn't try and make the punter out to be stupid by talking bollocks and bare faced lying to cover the fact that she mimmed.

• Upvote 1

You have to consider Dolly's target audience I guess, most of the time she'll be doing arenas in the US and elsewhere to an audience who isn't that arsed about musical integrity, rather than playing outdoors in moderately crappy UK weather conditions. Hence the rather clichéd and staged bits of chat between songs and stuff like that.

I know that's no excuse, but when you consider that the likes of Charlie Watts have moaned about festival settings before playing, I wouldn't be surprised if she 'played it safe'. Especially with it going out on the BBC, I think the whole 20-minute clip online may have contained mimed songs.

Take it for what it is. It's a 'show', not a gig which was supposed to be a laugh and a chance to have a sing-a-long (in my eyes anyway), rather than a chance to critique the musical integrity of Dolly 'effin Parton. Shame she didn't sing live, but I enjoyed it regardless :)

Also is someone in this thread suggesting macca mimes??

No think they are suggesting it would be a better show if he did!!

No, I'm not suggesting he mimes or it would be a better show if he did but, like Dolly, his voice is getting increasingly weak now so would understand if he chose to use a backing vocal track to maintain the quality of performance. Just listen to his awful olympic 2012 performance.

Edited by Keithy

She didn't mime, other than the dodgy sax solo. Why would she need to? She's proven countless times she can deliver live performances.

It was a combination of strong backing singers, out of time screens/cameras & the general public/media not being able to recognise a true talent without throwing the old 'she's miming' bollocks at her.

She did mime much of the set.

She has to because shes 68 years old and gets out of breath, she DID 'sing' the mud song and was breathless at the end

There were hundreds of performances at glasto, no one else suffered from these out of sync cameras etc.

I can understand why people don't want to believe she mimed, I certainly didn't when i'd spend £70 to see her, but you have to be blind, deaf or willfully stupid to think that was a fully live performance.

One thing is for sure she did not mime the mud song. No. She did an akward fumbling "rap" while reading an autocue. Basically talking her way through it rather than singing. Compare that voice to the claimed singing in her other songs and it really does scream lier to me.

http://youtu.be/hsRZrdMevzE?t=6m20s

Im utterly perplexed that anyone can think she did not mime/lip sync at times during the gig. Especially when they have looked it back over on video and sound engineers have effectively confirmed it. People do like to believe what they like to believe and naivety is always a rampant thing............

Watched Dry The River instead of Dolly and so have just checked out the beeb footage of Jolene.

Its blatantly obvious Dolly was miming and its pointless denying it because if you have an ear for sound and know your stuff its as clear as day.

Now, I wasnt keen on seeing Dolly and I really dont care that she was miming although I think its a little pathetic.

What get my goat though is that even though Blondie played a cracking set, a few peeps around the site made comment that her voice isnt what it used to be. Well of course it isnt due to her age, but at least she sung live and its kinda sad all the praise Dolly got for duping a crowd.

Just my opinion on it all, but one thing is for certain - Dolly certainly mimed at least part of her set.

people want these musicians to keep on going, there's a seemingly insatiable thirst for has-beens to keep on crawling on, this is the price you pay. It's shit, but then live music is a young person's game on the whole. None of these people were supposed to keep recording and performng as long as this, was never the game plan. What's the line, 'if I'd know I was going to live this long, I'd have looked after myself better'

I was disapointed with Dolly, not jsut cos of the miming, but because that set was fucking weak. There was a 30 minute bit in the middle where I didn't know a single song she played. The legend thing needs a bit of a shakeup. You can get big names, but what you really need are tunes that everybody, from 8 year old kids to 70 year old grandmothers know. The atmosphere shifted totally when she went into Jolene/ 9-5, the whole crowd lifted, and released. I'm not sure the last couple fo years' legends, despite being fucking huge, recognisable names, have the popular tunes to carry a 70 minute slot. That's a long time, and there's hardly anybody who can carry it off.

I'm far more surprised that she wouldn't admit to miming. One of the loveable things about ther has always been her self-effacing directness. I'd fully expect her to say something along the lines of 'Hell - I'm 68 years old - these days I need a little help!' & maybe something about how blessed she feels that people still want to come & see her and hear her tunes.

That would fit with how Dolly Parton is. I honestly now can't decide whether her denial is disappointing, or whether she really did sing live to greater extent than I thought (it definitely wansn't totally live - & for me, the real giveaway is the mud song - she was totally out of breath & couldn't sing a note - totally out of kilter with the rest of the set)

Yep, I was kinda annoyed that she denied the miming too - or at least her 'people' denied it.

And again.... I come back to Debbie Harry who didnt mine and is the same age.

The Dolly thing is a kinda disgrace really and I agree with Wooderson that those who say it was great and dont care about the miming added to the media frenzy of how great she was when in all honesty most people probably knew 2 songs and hadnt a clue what was live and what wasnt. Yeah, each to their own but for a slot that got so much praise I think its very undeserved.

I'm actually gonna watch the full Dolly gig online and am dreading seeing this array of instruments she was 'playing' as I'm sure I'm gonna just sit and shake my head in disgust to it all, but I have just seen the 'sax' bit and its just ludicrous. She is out of breathe with her pre-scriped banter and there is no way in the world she played that uber-high-tempo tune, it just looked daft.

I saw Dry The River instead, but my mate saw Dolly and said:

1.Her voice was great.

2.She was really talented and played different instruments.

3.She had great banter with the crowd.

4.She looks pretty good for her age.

Well, I'm sorry to be blunt but my replies having looked into the Dolly show.

1.Fake
2.Fake
3.Pretty great really.
4.Fake.

Glad I watched real musicians in John Peel anyway. ;-)

I am in the minority then - was in the front pit for Dolly and have watched it back on TV twice.

She did not play the violin.

She did play the guitar and the sax.

She did not mime.

I have worked with music lots of my life so have 'experience'........ when looking to see if someone is really singing, look at the neck!

Defiantly in the 'Don't care, I had a whale of a time, if a Queen of Country mimes on a farm in the forest and the majority of people don't notice then did a mime actually happen?' crowd.

If it's a choice between Dolly and Dry The River then I'm on the first train to Nashville.

And I knew pretty much everything she played.

Defiantly in the 'Don't care, I had a whale of a time, if a Queen of Country mimes on a farm in the forest and the majority of people don't notice then did a mime actually happen?' crowd.

If it's a choice between Dolly and Dry The River then I'm on the first train to Nashville.

And I knew pretty much everything she played.

I agree with every word of this - loved every second of Dolly and have never liked Country music.

• Upvote 1

I agree with every word of this - loved every second of Dolly and have never liked Country music.

I look on a visitor from Nashville the same way I would an act from Cuba or Ethiopia.

I respect that they have different traditions from us and part of the enjoyment factor is to learn about their modes of dress, their language, their unusual music and the local culture that makes them unique.

I am in the minority then - was in the front pit for Dolly and have watched it back on TV twice.

She did not play the violin.

She did play the guitar and the sax.

She did not mime.

I have worked with music lots of my life so have 'experience'........ when looking to see if someone is really singing, look at the neck!

Opinion respected, but as a musician myself and someone who can see through veils of fake, I just have to say that I could belt out a tune and my face, neck and mannerisms would convey it all - but I could be silent in doing so. Actors act.